masking tape on white board - help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by creativemonster, Aug 19, 2017.

1. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 19, 2017

I know there is a current thread about cleaning white boards - confession: last year I used masking tape on my white boards to create boxes. Bigger confession: I left it there all summer. Oh dear. My boards are a hot mess. And the best part - last year I was oh so very proud of myself for this step into proving that my stupidity sometimes knows no bounds. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to get off those trails of past masking tape I will be so happy. Is goo away a real product? Does it work? Where does one get it? This year I will create my boxes with painters tape, I promise!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 19, 2017

You could try real cleaning products? 409? Or even Clorox wipes? And test them in a small area. I did the SAME thing with my white boards. I wanted to create boxes for different groups of students to show their work in and when I pulled it off, it left residue and marks behind. I'm pretty sure I just used 409 and like a textured sponge...
    Getting tape off the floor was even WORSE but I had my students help me peel it off..... NEVER AGAIN!
    :rofl:

Things I've learned:
    1. be thoughtful with tape and staples because if you put it on, you'll have to take it off!

creativemonster likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2017

Hand sanitizer

creativemonster likes this.
  5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 19, 2017

by texteured do you mean those green scratchy ones? Wouldn't that hurt the board? (of course, maybe if I had given the health of the board in the first place I wouldn't be in this mess!) and oh, I haven't tried 409 yet. Thank you! I'll try it.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 19, 2017

I LOVE hand sanitizer for the board, (much healthier than on my hands and we have a HUGE clssroom container) but alas, it met its match with the tape.

7. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 19, 2017

One day there will be a book published with all the ills that hand sanitizer cures, fixes, and replaces. That's up there with toothpaste and white vinegar for having zillions of uses.

8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 19, 2017

Goo Gone is a real product, and it does work. I've never used it on a whiteboard, but I've used it on other hard surfaces to remove labels. You can buy it on Amazon, and you can often find it at office supply stores, as well.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 19, 2017

You could also get the SCRUB DADDY! I watched it on Shark Tank and it's supposedly a miracle according to Lori. I'd like to know if it's legit or a scam. Either way this is why you would test it on a small area first. If it destroys a small area, you wouldn't continue to use it.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 19, 2017

I keep Goo Gone at school and at home. It would be my very first choice with tape.

bella84 likes this.
  11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 20, 2017

No idea on how to clean it, but if you tape again, I love electrical tape. I use it every year and it always comes off clean!

12. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 20, 2017

In addition to painter's tape and electrical tape, I'd also recommend magnetic borders (assuming your whiteboard is magnetic). I found them a couple of years ago and have used them ever since. Since they are magnetic, they come off cleanly with no effort. They can even be adjusted from day to day, if you find yourself needing different sized boxes on the board from one day to the next.

This is what I use:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/MAGNETIC...68506&wl11=online&wl12=35688048&wl13=&veh=sem

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2017

A magic eraser managed to lift a ton of stains and sticky stuff off my whiteboards (I linked to the brand for an example but had no problems with an off-brand version).

14. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Aug 20, 2017

Goo Gone is fabulous, but it does have a fairly strong orange smell, so maybe use it on a Friday afternoon if your school has a thing about scented products. My bottle came from Target's dollar spot. A Dobie sponge or any generic nylon scrub sponge should be safe to use on the board.

For floor and boards, spike tape works well. It's the stuff used to mark where set pieces go on a stage, so it's made to stick well and peel off cleanly.

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 20, 2017

Oh you guys rock! I have not had time this weekend to hit the stores but either during week or (more likely next weekend (or so) I will pick up some Goo Gone AND 409, because let's be honest, I'm sure the tables in my room could stand to be cleaned too! might as well see if they both work on board- and yes - I had cool magnets to use on board but one board is not magnetic and the one that is can be reached by doorway and small cool magnets were walking away, leaving the papers they were holding to fend for themselves. Viola, Painters tape is a lot cheaper than spike tape, and comes up cleanly, it's just thicker - which I like because I actually write right on the tape. ...I probably should have been thinking about all this stuff BEFORE my students came back, huh? ah well! I think they, and I, are pretending to still be on summer break. I don't feel like it's real until after labor day

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 20, 2017

I think you just literally changed my life.

bella84 likes this.
  17. CharRMS

CharRMS Rookie

Aug 21, 2017

I don't have a suggestion for how to get the old tape off, but if you want to use something to section off your board again, try the Scotch Xpression tape. I use it on my whiteboard, the wall, and sometimes on the floor when we play a game. It comes off clean without leaving residue. It's about $2-$3 for the roll.

18. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 21, 2017

I use electrical tape on my board. I cleaned my board at the end of the year with vinegar and water. It stunk up the room, but it did the job.