Mandatory Workdays

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

Does anyone else hate mandatory workdays when you're trapped at school with nothing to do? Students are back tomorrow (freshmen at least) so we have a mandatory workday today. Meeting @ 9, then the rest of the day we're left to our own devices to get ready. Problem is... My classroom is ready to go, I've got the first six labs completely staged, all of the copies made, homework made, etc. All I have to do is grab the kits and set up when it's time. And that's for all three classes.... Lesson plans made until sometime in November... SO yup, stuck here....all day....

3. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 14, 2018

Yes, we do but I have plenty to still do! I’ve been “saving some work” for our workdays ;)

Aces likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

I'll probably end up going to the auditorium and changing light bulbs or something... Probably some building-maintenance tasks in there I can take care of easy enough.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

I've never had "nothing to do"!!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

I like getting as much work as possible done before work days. Then I can go around and visit with people I haven't seen all summer and take a leisurely lunch with some of the staff! I usually leave at least a little to do though so I'm not bored.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2018

Sounds like it's time for some long-range planning!

8. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

Heh I'm in the auditorium, I've got music playing over the house speakers, changing light bulbs, fixing some squeaky chairs and things. Stuff that maintenance usually takes care of for the most part, but I can do so I figure why not? Later I'm going to go up to the catwalk and put some filters on the lights. We ordered some last year that never got installed.

Caesar753 likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

And this is why I love my private school. My P’s and VP’s rule is “keep it professional,” meaning if you do all of your assigned tasks and your classroom is prepped and your lesson plans are done, you can go home early. They don’t see the point in having you sit around and wait until the end of your contracted hours. In my case, my classroom is ready, my lesson plans are completed for the entire year, my syllabi are all printed, my textbook distribution sheets are ready to go, my seating charts are finished, my Moodle Page is updated, my grade book is set up, etc.

Thus, I just show up in the mornings for the staff meetings, have my VP check off my duty roster and then head back home, lol.

Aces likes this.
  10. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

I'm glad I'm not the only one that lesson plans for months ahead! I try to do at least a quarter at the time, so then I can zip through grading and have more time for other things. Only thing I have left to do is actually put the names in my grade book. I usually wait until a few days into the semester because of scheduling changes.

11. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

Well not sure if it's good or not but I was dragged off to the side at work today by my P/VP. I was told that one of our neighboring h.s the P is retiring at the end of the year, and they'll be opening the job posting in February. I was told they wanted me to apply.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2018

Actually, you are sure it's good, but it's a nifty way to humble brag nonetheless. Good luck with the endeavor.

bella84, czacza and Aces like this.
  13. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

That's just it.... I haven't fully decided if I actually want the job. It's nice that they think I'd be a good candidate, but I really like where I'm at, too.

14. futuremathsprof

Aug 14, 2018

You better apply!

15. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

Oh my god you sound just like my husband. He promised no sexual actions for a YEAR if I didn't. Insane man.

16. futuremathsprof

Aug 14, 2018

Um, TMI, lol!

Still, you better apply. You are going to regret it down the line if you don’t. Mark my words.

17. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

Yeah...that's pretty much what he's said too. There's a bit of pressure, too. I feel like my P/VP have basically decided that I need to go fill this role and all of that nonsense. Although the VP assured me that if I needed help preparing for interviews or whatever he'd do whatever he could to help, so that's good, I suppose.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2018

We don’t have any of those. We are either in PD or meetings.

Aces likes this.
  19. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 14, 2018

My district isn't meeting-happy. We usually have maybe one staff meeting per 9 week period, unless something comes up that warrants an extra meeting.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2018

We have a weekly department meeting after school. We meet once or twice a week during school with the whole grade level. There are some committees. The four days of PD are usually at the end of the previous year, then one day of meetings before school begins.

21. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Aug 14, 2018

Aces I'm just curious which job they are asking you to apply for?