Making things for your classroom.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 3, 2006.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

This summer I want to make some curtains for my classroom and a puppet theatre out of a cardboard box. I was wondering, what things have you made for your classroom?

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 3, 2006

I am also planning on making a puppet theater for my classroom this summer:) I'm going to use pvc though.
    Here are lots of ideas of things to make for your class using pvc:
    PVC in the classroom

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

I have made curtains, a quilt to hang on my rocking chair, and a wall quilt about Ohio.

5. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 3, 2006

My brother made me a Pocket Chart/Giant Notepad Chart holder out of PvC pipe. I'd show you a picture, but he tore it apart to make me a new improved addition. (with casters!)

I wanted a magnetic bulletin board, so I bought a thing of sheet metal from an air conditioner supplier and had my boyfriend drill it to my wall.

I'm working on chairbags for the backs of student chairs (to hold folders and books), and let me tell you, it's taking FOREVER :(:(:(:(:(:(:( [I'm terrible with the sewing machine]

My next project is to make a giant skinny box to store all of my bulletin board supplies. Kind of like an index Card box...for bulletin board sized index cards:)

6. abfoland

abfoland Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I am doing a jungle/safari theme in my room, and my dad and I are actually about to start a banana tree to put in the reading corner! ha, its going to be an adventure! :)

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 4, 2006

In/out boxes--in the process of making these. I'll post when I finish.

PVC chart holder

all my posters--just copied the ones I like in my own writing and artistry, more or less. I used chart paper and then laminated them. Colored pencils are my fave to use because they give a softer appearance.

pillows for reading corner.

a decorated flower pot and those pens wrapped in floral tape with a flower on the end---I am always leaving my pens around the room and hope this helps me keep track of them. very cheap and easy.

titles for bull board by bending pipecleaners into letters and hot glueing

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 4, 2006

Great ideas! It is really getting me inspired to make more things for my room. Paperheart, I like the idea of using pipecleaners for letters.

9. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

My husband made a bookshelf for me for my reading center.

I've made pillows to go along with the theme of my classroom.

giant wall quilt

painted the ceiling tiles to go with novels we study throughout the year.

10. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

I am having a zoo theme, so I made an "entrance" to the library using fishing pole boxes. They are long enough to reach from the bookshelf to the ceiling. I wrapped them in red paper and drew lines in marker to make it look like red bricks. On the box connecting the two sides I wrote "Reading Zoo". I've also been covering boxes, frozen juice containers and cans with contact paper. My husband has also been busy building me another bookshelf and container for my big books.

I also am making pockets for the back of the chairs, I'm not good with the sewing machine, and found the easiest way was using pillow cases.

11. TeacingnTN

TeacingnTN Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Would it be out of line to ask if any of you could post pictures of the items you are/have made?? I would love to see some if possible!!

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 5, 2006

13. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jul 5, 2006

I"ll be using heavy shower curtains for curtains - regular material is too light weight and moves with the ventilation system which then, that movement trips the alarm system and wakes up the police......I was frowned at several times until we figured out what was doing it.

14. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 5, 2006

How do you make chair pockets out of pillowcases? That sounds like something I could do!

15. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 5, 2006

I have made phonics phones out of pvc
    The teacher who had my room before me used light weight gutters attached to the walls as book displays.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Would you tell us more about that scrapbooking site, paperheart?

17. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Hope I can explain it. Turn the pillowcase inside out. Take the opening and fold it back over half way. Sew the sides.

18. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 5, 2006

What would you like to know? I get the monthly kits every month and LOVE them--very on top of the new trend and the nicest people you could "meet" on the mb.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Is it a discussion board or a site to submit projects?

20. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I typically make a lot of bulletin board stuff myself. This year I'm doing a jungle theme but last year I made this for my mentor teacher.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5409/570/1600/IM001677.jpg
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5409/570/1600/IM001678.jpg

I also made my own homeworkopoly (I didnt like how small the one online was). Also to go along with my theme for this year, I made hallway passes and my website (www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen).

Of course this is my first official year of teaching the entire school year, so I plan on expanding my horizons and begin making more things outside of the bulletin board area. :)

Have a great summer!

Katie

21. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I'm doing a jungle theme too! I would love to see a picture of your banana tree when your finished!! How fun!