Making it easier to move rooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, May 20, 2016.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 20, 2016

I'm required to take everything down in my room at the end of each year for cleaning and possible room switching. Is there any way to make that process easier? I have a lot of little things on my walls. I'm wondering if I could maybe attach / super glue / staple little posters or papers to a bigger piece of fabric that can be put on and taken off walls or bulletin boards more easily? That way I could use it year after year. Any suggestions?

(ETA: no responses so far... maybe I'll just buy bigger posters from now on, haha.)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2016

Maybe you could invest in clips and push pins to help hold up posters to make it easy to take those down and roll up and rubber band like posters. I keep the bare minimal up through out the year, and put up and take down as we need things. Wall clutter distracts me...ha.

I box up personal items in those boxes that reams of paper come in. I figure the room gets dusty and the people that come in and deep clean the room don't need to worry about breaking or losing any of my person things.

People in my building act as if they had to move classrooms the world would end. It's like turf wars when the conversation comes around to people possibly having to move. I, on the other hand, would love to move after being in the same classroom for 8 years--then maybe my principal wouldn't shake his head at the different stages and placement of my teacher desk has been in over the past years. ha!

otterpop likes this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 21, 2016

Box up by wall. It makes it faster to rehang in the fall if you keep items in order. If you are allowed to hang fabric, you could create bulletin boards using fabric as your backdrop and permanently attach whatever to the front.

Like a previous poster, I have minimized what stays on the wall all year. Much of what I hang is rotated out as we learn it, and I make the anchor charts with my class each year, so the current year ones are always thrown away at year's end.

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 21, 2016

Thanks. I was actually thinking about keeping my anchor charts to reuse, but maybe it would be better to make them fresh each year?

I do definitely want to invest in fabric for bulletin boards this coming year. I like the idea of being able to use it for multiple years.

I really like my posters and signs, and actually do use most of them. However, my walls are pretty crowded. I have started thinking about downsizing. I'm a wannabe minimalist, but impossibly bad at it.