Make-up makes me tired!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jul 30, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

Does anyone else have this?

I used to not wear much make-up at all. And I still prefer to not wear it. But I'm older, not as pretty as I used to be (not that i was a beauty-but my youthful looks are gone.), and I have to admit... I need it now. I like it when I have it on (and with a new hair-cut) I look really nice for my Drop-ins.

But.... and this happens EVERYTIME that i wear eye make-up. I feel tired, and it's tough to keep my eyes open by mid-afternoon. I'm wearing eye-liner (not the paint type..but more the pencil-crayon type). Light powdered eyeshadow, and mascara---but not a ton. My eyes don't ITCH or aren't irritated...it's just they feel like I need a nap.

Is this normal? (Maybe it's why i prefer NOT to wear make-up.) As i say, I need to wear this stuff if I'm going back into teaching daily.

Anyone deal with this? Any suggestions?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

That is an allergic reaction. If your makeup is new and fresh, try a better quality brand or natural brand.

If I use anything but fresh, high quality eye makeup, I get the same thing. The eye liner is the most likely culprit. Also always wash your brushes.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

I agree-- try something hypo-allergenic.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I'd say try a better brand... a department store brand like Clinique or Mac might be better for you. It costs more, but I wear Clinique and I can honestly tell you that I spend less money on make up (I mean, sure I spend 33$ on foundation, but only buy it once every four or five months as opposed to every month with Cover Girl, and my 30$ bronzer is in year 3 and still as good as ever!).

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Hmmm, I've never experienced this & I wear contacts w/ my makeup.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

I really can't wear eye makeup anymore, but I've recently discovered that Physician's Formula Organics mascara is tolerable for a few hours.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I also don't care to wear make-up. I only put it on for very, very special occasions. And even then, it's just mascara, lip gloss and pink glitter eyeshadow (think.... my avatar ;). It makes my face itch-even the best non-allergenic brands. I just hate having that layer on my face. So I feel for you.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

You don't have to wear makeup, I know a lot of women who don't and they look great. I wear very little, only some eye-liner and a little mascara. Lipstick when I thnk about it. My eyes are getting that drooping skin between my eyebrows and eyes. I just hate it and have considered surgery...I'm not into pain though.

I bet you have great skin, accentuate that.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

And you look great, too, Hoot! Your facebook pictures are SO cute. I love picturing you when I read your posts-you are the kind, loving teacher I wish I had!!

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

A friend's mom had that done. It's called hooding (when you eyelids start to droop...and yeah, i have that. I'll need to do something eventually)

Anyway... the mom looked INCREDIBLE after it was done. Very awake...and beautiful.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

I think that's going to be my first plastic surgery. I've always been a little "sleepy-eyed," and the years and gravity aren't helping! :rolleyes:

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I can use Mac and Chanel liners. Yeah, they are $30, but how many colors do you need? A nice neutral dark brown maybe, and you are good to go. Keep it well capped and store in an airtight bag and sharpen it often to keep it fresh. I consider eye liner maybe a once a year expense. Those are just my favorites, there are other good ones that are cheaper.

You could try going to the department store counters and get them to put some on you. Do a brand on each eye, see how it goes after a few hours, and then buy a good neutral in what feels good.

I tried Aveda, and while it didn't irritate me, I found it drying (I have this problem with most of the natural brand makeup).

Actually, this reminds me: I have been meaning to try Origins, and they are only around $15 for an eye liner. I love the bath products (ginger essence :wub:)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

You shouldn't wear make up that is 3 years old. Makeup can be contaminated with bacteria. Blushers and bronzers should be disposed of after 2 years. (I can't imagine having makeup for that long)...buy smaller packages/containers of cosmetics if you only use them rarely.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

I wear a very little bit of eyeshadow, some eye liner, mascara, and of course, a moisturizer with sunscreen. That's it. I have a good complexion with a nice color so I don't need to wear foundation or powder. I rarely wear lip color. I have always felt weird with lipstick on. Sometimes I'll wear a neutral shade.
    I try to replace my makeup every few months to protect myself against bacterial infections.

16. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I am also older, and addicted to make-up. I keep it light, but put on eye make-up and concealer everyday, even if I don't leave the house. I am pretty fair and have NO eyes if I don't wear eye make-up. Did you ever see those magazines with the articles-"Stars without their makeup?" That's the way I look! When my eyes feel like yours in the afternoon, it means I need a nap!:lol:

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

McK
    Like you, I never wore make when I was young. I had good skin and could get away with it. When I tried, I had the exact same thing happen that you are describing. THe exact same feeling. I've tried brand after brand of make-up. I don't mind paying for expensive, but it did the same thing. I just had to come to the conclusion that I just couldn't wear it.

Every few years I wonder if they've come out with some new kind of makeup that won't make my eyes tired -- and I buy and try a bunch. But so far -- no luck.

18. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

My dermatologist said it was fine as long as I switched brushes, because that's where the bacteria is born and formed - I switch brushes every 3 months, and this is the only size it comes in and I use it daily.