Make up for Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Anonymous425, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

Is it important to wear make up for interviews? I don't normally wear make up, but I've heard it is important to wear make up to interviews and to work.

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jul 11, 2018

I think it’s important to look professional and put together. Beyond that, I don’t think makeup is a necessity.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 11, 2018

I agree with rpan. In addition, I'll add that, if you do wear makeup, don't go overboard with it. Keep it minimal.

5. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

One of my close friends recently interviewed for a position in my current district. I knew she'd be a perfect fit because she's smart, well-spoken, and her love for children shines through. The only thing I asked her to work on with her appearance involved her face (mainly the layers upon layers of paint).

Thankfully, the team saw what I've known for years and we'll be working alongside together each day! Different grades, but next door neighbors.

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Companion

Jul 11, 2018

I agree. Just look professional!

7. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

Nope, makeup not necessary. My car doesn't have a/c, and I've been driving to interviews up to and over an hour away. No way I was going to wear makeup and have it melt off in the heat. I agree with dressing professionally. Though to be honest, I just got a job, and the interview took place at Starbucks with the principal in shorts and a t-shirt, and me in denim capris and a sleeveless top. It wasn't planned that way; he caught me on the phone as I was passing through his city and wanted to meet with me then since I was in the area. I had also not applied for that job, he'd gotten my name from another principal I did interview with. So you just never know!

8. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Do what makes you feel comfortable! I look 12 without it, and wearing makeup makes me look AT LEAST 16!:D Just keep it natural!

pommom likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM

I wouldn't think it would ever be important to wear makeup. I do think, however, it is important to look put together. For me, wearing make up is part of looking put together, but I know some people who look put together with no makeup.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:07 PM

I'm very pale and tend to look sickly if I'm not wearing any makeup at all, so I definitely wear some for an interview. I agree to keep it professional and minimal- this isn't the time for a smokey eye or anything like that. If you never wear makeup at all, I probably wouldn't start just for interviews- I could be wrong, but I'd guess someone who never wears any wouldn't be good at applying it and making it look natural yet, and I'd worry they'd end up looking worse with poorly applied makeup.

90% of the teachers at my school and our principal never wear any makeup. Because of that, I quit wearing it for awhile but went back to wearing at least a little every day last year (concealer, foundation, mascara, chap stick at minimum). I just feel better and more put together with it on, regardless of what other people wear.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM

Is that a regional thing (the fact that so many teachers at your school don’t wear makeup and all)?

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM

I guess so. Teachers dress very casually here, and I guess the no makeup goes along with that. At one of the 3 schools I've worked in, the P made us dress up and more people at that school wore makeup. We also have to be at work at 7:15 AM, so maybe people just don't have time in the morning, and given that the P never wears any either, it obviously doesn't feel like an expectation.

13. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. That makes me feel better!