Mainstreaming

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Sep 17, 2015.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2015

Wow. I'll admit to having thought that before about kids(ie I didn't really want the kid with dozens of referrals for things like throwing chairs or an ELL kid too low to succeed in a gened class), but to actually say it?! Besides, once they are yours, they are yours.

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 18, 2015

Wow. If a teacher said that at my school, they would lose their job. I hope you dealt with this in some way.

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Sep 19, 2015

I teach in California, primary, and yes, SPED kids are mainstreamed all the time into our classes. Those who are "severe" are supposed to come with an IA but mostly, the not-so-severe kids spend part of the day in a mainstream classroom. I actually like having SPED kids in my class...I like their energy and many I find are "out-of-the-box" thinkers!

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Sep 19, 2015

Disclaimer - I'm in the northeast and I have worked in other mid-Atlantic states.

The last district I worked in was fully inclusive. I was a paraprofessional with 3 students who I would consider "moderate". I adapted the curriculum so it was appropriate for them. I encouraged them to take notes but then they had a study guide that gen ed students did not get. We had another group of students who were mainstreamed only for certain subjects. They attended math and reading in small groups and worked on skills way below grade level. The third group was the life skills class, which was students who were severely intellectually disabled. These students were self contained but attended gym/art/family-consumer science/computers with aides.

In the mainstreamed classes, either the special education teacher or the caseload para attended class with the students on the caseload. Then the students have a resource period in which they do homework or do IEP testing/documentation. Because there's always a second adult in the room, they can deal with behavior problems fairly easily. I think it works pretty well but it requires a lot of manpower and every person on the same page.

Currently I work at a small school. Almost every one of my classes has a student with special needs in it. We have a learning support teacher this year but she has students in grades 1-8. She can't be everywhere at once. Most of them do not have behavior issues and if they do, I can call the learning support teacher or principal to assist.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 19, 2015

"self-contained" here means out for lunch/recess/specials. I see 13 children who are SC between 6th-8th. I service 2 more who are with me for just a couple subjects.

My school has made very slow progress with inclusion. Most of our teachers aren't trained on co-teaching and don't want to do it.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 19, 2015

I handled it to the extent that the Union would allow.

Disclaimer: The CTA (California Teachers' Association) is the largest professional employee association in our state. We (administrators) have to be incredibly careful about how we address issues.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 19, 2015

Mild/mod kids are served in a co-taught class with pull out resource time, 30 min-2 hours is the general range.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2015

Perhaps the sped teachers can meet with gen Ed teacher to find out what content is being covered and send related work the mainstreamed students can do?

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 20, 2015

Two other notes... as a classroom teacher, I'd be incredibly resentful if somebody put a student in my room just to "expose" them to the material. It should be the expectation that students will learn material, not be in the room while other students are learning material. In most cases, a kid who doesn't know what is going on is a very short trip away from a kid who is disruptive. Again... if a kid isn't benefiting from a situation, it's a situation that needs to be fixed. It's not that I wouldn't want a special education student in my room. I have had many special education students in my room during my time in a classroom. It IS the case that I wouldn't want a kid dumped into my classroom, without support, and with the full knowledge of everyone involved that they aren't actually going to get anything out of my class other than having stuff go in one ear and out the other.

And my second note... I really hope no parent ever finds out that special education teachers are guaranteed to have that final hour of the day free from kids, because that seems like a definite case of pre-determination.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 20, 2015

Our students are all included. Mild/moderate/severe... Doesn't matter. I have issues with some of the more severe cases, but it works well for some of our more mild/moderate kids. I teach grade four and have a student working at a grade one level. It involves extra thinking in terms of planning, and including her in group activities/read-alouds and scaffolding where possible.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 20, 2015

I'm with gr3. The basic IEP laws are to benefit the student. Mere exposure without support seems backwards thinking and an euphemism for just dumping a kid in some random class.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 20, 2015

Our resource kids are included in our science/ss classes. This year I have 5 in one class. One has a child specific aide, but this is the first time I've had that. Usually it's just the kids and me. Some days are better than others. It's hard, because for the other two teachers, my class is the smallest, so the office considers my class the "pullout class". That's means, most years I have the most kids. The secretary said that to me this summer after telling me a new student would come to me instead of a coworker who had one less than me. I explained about me having those kids to teach and that it would help if they didn't stack my class with higher numbers. My two coworkers now have 26 and I have 29. :rolleyes: as you can tell, she didn't listen.
    The resource kids take part in activities. If my kids are taking notes or filling out a page, I give them copies that are complete, or almost complete. While my other kids test, I give them something semi-related to do. I have to come up with those activities myself. The resource kids don't receive a regular grade, just an S,N, or U.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

But this IS how sped works in my district and I would bet most of CA.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2015

SpEd needs an overhaul here in CA. Something needs to change.

The description Backroads provided explains how we currently do things in CA.

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

Exactly. Grade3 has broken our education system twice in 1 thread.

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 20, 2015

That's so bizarre to me. Don't the parents complain about the failed accommodations? Or are accommodations sufficiently met that way?

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 20, 2015

They are usually only mainstreamed into the elective classes. If a kid has a relative strength in a certain subject, he/she may be mainstreamed on a case by case basis.

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 20, 2015

How do parents know if accomodations are met or not? The school is framing it. Also, parents in CA, imo, have been brainwashed into least restrictive environment, which ONLY means...gen ed classroom. Also, many parents do have advocates, some have lawyers, they want the kid in gen ed classes, whar lezrning and how is not really significant.

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 20, 2015

On behalf of special ed teachers everywhere, I'd like to say THANK YOU!!!!:wub::wub::wub::wub:

I know it can be frustrating because you have such strict standards, and guidelines to follow for the content you teach.