Macmillan Treasures! YIKES!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by pamms, Sep 27, 2008.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Our district just adopted Macmillan 'Treasures' this year and we are beyond overwhelmed with it. We are supposed to do everything in it...and it is just toooooooooo much! We have approx. 2 hrs for language arts each day. This week our lessons have to include:

Skills to be taught (NEW MATERIAL) in Language Arts this week

Phonics…”o”
    Summary
    Making predictions
    Confirming predictions
    Journal entries (as a genre)
    Realistic fiction (as a genre)—main selection
    Past tense verbs (ed) (review)…what a verb IS has not yet been discussed in the series.
    Combining subjects in a sentence (subjects introduced 1 week ago)...haven't learned nouns yet...
    Combining predicates in a sentence (predicates introduced last week)
    Using quotation marks
    Vocabulary words listed
    Additional vocabulary in Oral Vocab. Cards story
    Adding ‘s’ or ‘es’ to words (TE, pg 143 P)
    Reading a bar graph
    Varying sentence length

Review:
    Retelling
    Personal narrative
    Commas between city and state
    proofreading

and of course spelling, and then actually doing some actual writing and reading and discussing the weekly story. In addition, we are supposed to be doing small groups in which we read additional leveled readers, do running records or fluency checks, etc.

I have never sent home so many tests with poor grades as I am this year! It is so frustrating trying to 'teach' all of this so fast, and none of it seems to go together, it just feels like the writers of the series tossed some things together randomly. We'd love to supplement and actually teach something to mastery, but we can't figure out how to fit in what we HAVE to do, much less the additional we think the kids need! Grrrrrr.

Does anyone else use this series? How have you made it work?

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

We are using it as a resource and we are not following their week-to-week plans. We use other resources too such as the old Scott Foresman things, trade books, etc. I actually like it as there is more technology things and resources that we never used to have.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

I agree-- there is just SO MUCH in Treasures! I have been overwhelmed with it myself, but then was reminded it's just a resource. I'm much happier with it now, but there's still so much that's available, I feel like I'm still "learning" it myself!

5. TeachinginNYC

TeachinginNYC New Member

Sep 28, 2008

I use the entire program. It isn't just a resources for us. Let me know if you want to see my schedule!

6. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

I agree

It is so much to cover-and so quickly!!!Half my class had d's and f's on the progress reports...Too much, too soon. Especially the grammar and some of the skills. We have to move so quickly. They say, pick and chhose, but most is on the test, and only 13 questions, they miss a few and...There is no time for review, reteach. I squeeze in small groups, but it is very difficult. Several of my fellow team memebrs feel the same way. Your post was very good!!

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

We are using this program too for the first time. It is overwhelming in that you could do ELA all day. It isn't possible to do all of it well. I pick and choose what is needed most and so far it is working. I think there are too many sheets and not enough reading overall. I like the oral vocabulary cards, but find the cd retelling of stories pretty boring for the students... go slow, you really can't do EVERYTHING, even the company's rep. told us that there is more material than you can find time for, good luck!

8. pamms

pamms Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

One thing we found that we hope will help SOME with those low scores is the addition of the 'selection tests'. As far as I know, they are only available on disc, but they are nice because they actually have comprehension stories about the weekly story! SO far we have only been allowed to use them in addtion to the weekly FCAT format test. I agree the grammar seems to be the main problem.

9. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

Treasures

We found the selection tests and are also giving them We will have that and the weekly test. Our team decided to use all 13 questions for a reading grade. I would have liked 10 and put the 3 grammar on writing, but I was outnumbered. I just gave the Unit test, it was a bit better.(not much) We have to go so quickly there isn't a lot of time to reteach, etc. Some of it is just too advanced for mastery for most students. I am all for high expectations, but they need the background skills to build on!! We'll see.....:)

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Oct 5, 2008

Ouch! I'm glad I'm staying home this year pamms.
    I couldn't believe how much stuff we were being required to do. I found it rather sad that the county kept saying textbooks are a resource and then with this adoption you HAVE to follow everything in the book no skipping.
    That said I'll be happy to come back in a few years when the county gets realistic!! Just do your best first year adoptions are always difficult.

11. corney

corney Companion

Jan 19, 2009

Tresures

I'm a parent looking for answers on how to help my child work through this cirriculum, Florida Treasures. She she failing reading, writing, social studies and science. From reading everyone's posts here I see you all have students struggling as well.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

Hi,

What grade is your daughter in? My first thought, especially since she is struggling in SS and Science as well is that she needs to focus on comprehension. If she seems to be able to read most of the words, comprehension would be my focus. For that I'd work on reading stories with her (above and beyond those in the curriculum) and ask her to retell the story and some of the details in her own words. Start out with leading questions...what did X do after X, How did X do X...that sort of thing, but work into having her just tell you the whole story. If she struggles with ANY of the words in the curriculum, be sure to help her figure out the word, don't let her just skip it. She can skip it to finish the sentence..and then sometimes that provides a clue to her as to what that word might be, using context. But then have her go back and reread that sentence. If she struggles with many of the words (more than 4-5 on a page) then it's time to back up and work on letter sounds and blends. If this is the case and she is in 2nd grade or beyond, you might look into tutoring as it will get harder and harder for her to catch up. There are also good computer programs out there (Reader Rabbit is a good one) for mastering letter sounds.
    Here is a website you might also find helpful.
    http://www.starfall.com/

13. corney

corney Companion

Jan 27, 2009

Thanks Pamms.. I have gotten her a tutor and we are reading more, her choice which is encouraging. She is in second grade and is struggling with letter sounds and blends.. the tutor is going to work closely with those.. I'm really dissapointed with the ESE Program she is in, she doesn't seem to get the indivdual attention that I was under the impression she would get.. I will be taking that up with the school as soon as they schedule the conference that I requested almost two weeks ago.. :(

14. scholar

scholar Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

I would like to see your schedule. I teach 1st grade treasures.

Thank you

15. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

I know this was posted quite a while ago.... I have used Treasure for the last five years. I really like it now. You just have to do the best you can in the amount of time you have. I hit phonics, then vocabulary, then some comprehension skill daily. I have a TON of games already created for the phonics and vocab if you need any just ask. There are also lots of lessons/powerpoints/homework paages/etc online if you google it.

16. The Maj

The Maj New Member

Jul 2, 2009

Schedule

Hi NYC,
    We have just adopted and gone throught training. I am in California. Times are tough so there aren't going to many adopters in our area. I want to know how you are fitting it all in and how long have you used it? I am a coach and will be supporting K-5 using California Treasures.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!
    The Maj

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

Is it similar to the Harcourt "Trophies" series?

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 4, 2009

19. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 4, 2009

Does anyone have or know of any resources for FIRST GRADE Treasures??
    I am moving down to first this year, and thought I had located some awesome resources for 2nd... I'm feeling a bit at a loss for 1st.

20. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

Yeah, we have Macmillian for Math, but I NEVER user it. Our school has a different curriculum we use instead. Macmillian doesn't even fully follow state standards and they teach things out of order. Not a fan.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2009

I've heard that it is kind of like a pick-and-choose, in a way. I focus on the story's strategy focus first and foremost, and try to integrate a lot of the other skills in lessons I design. I do the FCAT preparation quizzes on Fridays as well as the spelling. How did you turn out doing this past year?