Lunch Time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JesusIsMyTeach, Jan 16, 2019.

1. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Jan 16, 2019

Hi,
    So one of the things mentioned as "progressing" on my evaluation was about collaborating with my co workers. Now I get along great with my co workers and they always say good things about me and how I help them. However, my P put me down as "progressing" for not eating in the teachers lounge during lunch. I don't always eat there because I have clubs I run.

Does anyone have to eat in the staff lounge at their school? Today at our meeting she told us she wants us to eat in there during our lunch time.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 16, 2019

Umm... Sorry, that's wacko. I enjoy my quiet lunches as a time to recharge my mental batteries. I have excellent relationships with my coworkers. If you have a union, I'd suggest contacting them.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2019

I almost never do. Our students each lunch in the classrooms and, although there is supervision, things are "slightly" less chaotic if I'm in the room.

Edited to add: How can how you spend your break time factor into your evaluation? My teaching partner and I collaborate and co-plan almost everything; none of it is done during our lunch or recess breaks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Jan 17, 2019

We don't have a union at our school. Also, I'm not sure why she used that in my evaluation. I have one more with her and I'm wondering what she's going to say next regarding where I eat.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 18, 2019

We have duty-free lunch. That means free of kids and coworkers if we want. We don’t have a lounge. Some teachers eat in their rooms. Some eat in the cafeteria. I stay in the cafeteria since my room is far away and lunch is only 20 minutes.

Most years I enjoy talking to people while I eat. Some years, not so much. It is never required.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

Is it written anywhere that you have to eat lunch in a certain place? If there's a policy where you may not have food in the classrooms or other areas then I would say the complaint is valid but if there's no such thing in writing what could they do?

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

Hey, here's an idea! Once a week they can bring in a catered fancy lunch and everyone will be able to hang out in the teacher's lounge! However, if you're bringing your own lunch you should eat where you want.

otterpop, ms.irene and Leaborb192 like this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2019

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2019

I got knocked on my very first observation 13 years ago because I didnt have a friendly face. That I never smiled and didn't get along with co-workers. Well that was total poop because most of the coworkers had been my children's teachers or I had known them for years. What it was, I was not friendly towards her. BUT she never came out of her office and well she was the unfriendly one because I didn't kiss her butt! I moved to a different school and never once I have I ever been told that I was unfriendly in fact quite the opposite. I hate that is even a part of our evaluations. I know we have to collaborate but that is sooo subjective. Maybe we aren't friendly with the principal but we are get along famously with the people down in the trenches with us!!!

ms.irene and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

To me, collaborating with coworkers has nothing to do with lunch and everything to do with whether you're willing to work with them by discussing pacing or lesson plans, problem solving for certain students, and joining in with them on committees. A person could eat lunch with coworkers every day but if they are not doing those other things it's not really collaborating, it's socializing.

vickilyn likes this.
  13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 19, 2019

That's your non-duty lunch and you can do whatever you want. What if you need to work on homework for the classes you take? Make phone calls? You might have a side business and you need to check on that, return emails, etc. What if you want to put your head down on your desk and catch a 20 minute power nap? Take a walk around the block? Leave for lunch? work through your lunch to catch up?
    There are a million things you can do and it's totally up to you. I would definitely fight this.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2019

Do you have a union?

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 20, 2019

Even without a union, there are federal labor laws. Your lunch time is your time. Your work evaluation is about what she observes of your work. I would ask her to clarify how this collaboration might look in your classroom.

otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2019

otterpop likes this.
  17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 20, 2019

Teaching is weird though. We should also be legally required to get bathroom breaks when needed, but we don't get those either. My school gives teachers only a twenty minute lunch, which I imagine is illegal, but we don't have a union so...

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2019

19. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Jan 20, 2019

Sorry I took long to reply. Thank you all for this insight! No, it's not policy and I think it's all micromanagement. Also, we have no Union. I'm moving schools anyways for the next school year. I hope it's better! :whistle:

otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2019

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 20, 2019

I had a very similar experience at my last school many years ago. My P begrudgingly admit that "my teammates seemed to like me" (they loved me- one told me I was the best new teammate she'd had in 23 years) but that I didn't smile enough and wasn't friendly enough with the rest of the building. AKA her. I've always been bad at "playing the game." She was a complete narcissist, crazy, and had no idea what she was talking about. But others sucked up to her. I could never do it. I'm on my 6th year at my current school and have never been told any such thing about being "unfriendly." And this psycho ended up losing her license a couple of years after I left the school!

OP, my first P went to some PD where they said teachers eating in the lounge was a sign of good morale. She used to try to get people down there by bringing treats, catered lunches, or randomly handing out "goodies" (like flair pens and things like that) to people sitting in the lounge. I'm betting your P heard the same thing at one point and decided threatening people was a better approach :rolleyes:.

I used to eat in the lounge, but have stopped over the years. I need that time to rest and recharge- making small talk with coworkers doesn't cut it. For one, most people spend the majority of their time talking about their kids, and I don't have kids, so not much to add to those conversations. I also found that since I'm the sped teacher, any time I go in there I get inundated with complaints about how so and so should have an IEP or why is this kid lower than mine but doesn't have one...not exactly relaxing. I eat with one of my teammates in my classroom every day- much more peaceful and we don't have to police our conversation depending on who might walk into the lounge. If she's not there, I just stay in my room alone.