Lunch restrictions???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HWilson, Aug 24, 2011.

1. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 25, 2011

Same thing at the school I used to work at. Before the limit, obscene amounts of money were lost. After the limit, parents started paying.

2. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 25, 2011

That's crazy... ours too must be zero, but for the KIDS. Faculty can carry a negative balance for up to two weeks, and if we don't pay, they simply dock our next paycheck. A few years ago the cafeteria tried to prevent teachers/staff from carrying a negative balance, and the outrage was so intense, the policy didn't last more than a few days. Even for kids though, they allow a few days wiggle room.

3. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

Faculty get a "good faith" kind of thing. I mean, they can hunt us down if need be, so we really can't go very long without paying them LOL

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

My school has a "no grace' policy. Any child that does not bring lunch money is given a pbj or cheese sandwich and a milk.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 25, 2011

I worked 8th grade cafeteria duty for a whole semester last year & got to see this first hand.

Our students get a cheese sandwich and a milk when they have a balance. Often students will just not eat instead of eating a cheese sandwich.

Also students will have their tray of food & have to step aside & give the tray back. These are middle school students & you can see the embarrassment on their face. This often results in students getting rude with the cafeteria staff b-c they are trying to save face with their peers. :( Students will sometimes have extra money to but a snack & they are not allowed if they have a balance. All money has to go toward the balance first. That has also caused outbursts.

I understand that food costs need to be kept in check...but I wonder if there is a better way?

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

It actually makes me sad that not everyone understands how this is embarrassing.

Someone said she didn't find the practice to be problematic but that she didn't see how it was easier or saved money...that's because it's not done to be easier and it's not done to save money. It is to shame the students who will hopefully persuade their parent(s) to pay in order to avoid the experience.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2011

I didn't quote but I think it's really interesting how much one school got back when they went to a similar program.

I don't think you should keep giving a kid a free lunch unless they're on free/reduced lunch. But I also think there should be a better way to do it like they go to the office and pick up a brown bag lunch so it looks like they just packed that day.

I'm honestly not sure what our school does. My student teaching school was almost all free/reduced lunch. We had a lot of students who were supposed to get free lunch and still chose to go somewhere on campus and spend $10 a day on lunch at one of the restaurants. (My student teaching was an early college program on a university campus).

8. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

Our elementary schools give the kids a "no choice" meal at -$15. The middle and high schools won't feed the kids at all if their accounts are $5 short!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2011

We have a large number of free/reduced lunches. Parents choose to buy lunch for the month, or pack for the month. Everything is prepaid. We usually do give a lunch to kids who forget to pack it...but it's funny how many of those kids conveniently forget to bring lunch on pizza day.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2011

For our kids it is a zero balance. If they don't have enough for a lunch in their account then they recieve a cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich with milk. Not sure if they get anything else. As for teachers I dont know, I wouldnt go near the school lunch.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2011

It was my second year teaching, my first year at this school. I didn't know much about their lunch policy. So, in the beginning of the year, kinder teachers were expecting to monitor their students while they got their lunch and paid for their meals before we were allowed our lunch break.

So, one day, the head lunch lady grabs one of my students trays out of his hands and says that he can't have it, that he can only have milk and cereal.

Talk about destorying his self esteem!!!! This 5 year old had NO CLUE what he did wrong, all he knew was that he wasn't allowed to eat his lunch that he had picked out.

I was livid! One of the other kinder teachers, who also witnessed this was even more livid. She went as far as to speak about it at the board meeting. Apparently she became the black sheep! :( All admins and kiss butt teachers were angry that she stood up for my student.

So, apparently, at my school, if they owe a cent, they will take your lunch away AFTER you had already picked it out. :( I was in resource for two years so they may have changed it since, but since I had nothing to do with their lunch anymore I was unaware if this was still like that.

ETA: This student refused to come back into my classroom and only wanted to stay in the office, with tears silently falling down his cheeks. He was so embarressed that it happened in front of everyone. :mad::mad::mad:

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

I usually just would buy kids like that lunch discreetly out of my account with the cafeteria, and then make sure I called mom and told them to send lunch money. Although, the parents knew that after $10 they would get a sack lunch, and the lunch room sent home frequent reminders. I think the rule was that before switching to sack lunch the school had to call parents a certain number of times and send a certain number of notes.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 26, 2011

If students accounts get to be -$10, they are given a cheese sandwich and a milk. I think THAT is pretty embarrassing! I have never had a student who had to eat it. Usually the teachers pitch in for the day to buy the child lunch. I know that isn't teaching the parents anything, but the kids are so young-it isn't their fault. :(

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

I remember having the cafe deny my CI child a lunch because he was short a QUARTER!!! He had lost the quarter in the morning. GRRRR. . .I paid the quarter.

I talked to the P & was told that K-2 we had to provide a lunch for the students, starting in 3rd, if they didn't have the money then they didn't have a lunch.

As a classroom teacher, that's not my responsibility. Even if I do make it my job sometimes to be sure my kiddos are fed.

15. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 26, 2011

What's sad is that my school raised our lunch prices this year and put it at the END of the student handbook. I'm a K-1 school... how many parents do you think really read a handbook that talks about guns, knives, sexual assault, etc? Very few. Most of my parents didn't know the prices went up and were livid when their kid was sent home with the dreaded neon pink/green "you need money" tag stuck to their shirt!

I understand something must be done, but.... I don't like this zero tolerance embarrassment method.

16. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I don't like the idea of anyone taking advantage of the system and not paying their "bill". However, at the same time, it's not really the kids' fault. During student teaching, I had a student that had forgotten her lunch money and was going to have to give her tray back. I paid for her lunch. She was mortified, and I had a friend for life after saving her the embarassment.

I think the key for this policy is for schools to find a way for it to be effective but not embarassing. I like the idea that they get their sandwich in a brown bag, so it just looks like they brought lunch. Furthermore, why do we have the kids pay after they get their lunch anyway? If they paid first, we would know if they owed or not and then they wouldn't have to give back their lunch in front of everyone.

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

Here our schools don't allow kids to charge anything. If they don't have money on their account they take the tray away from them (in front of everyone) and give them pbj, veg, and milk.

I teach kinder and this makes me so sad :(and angry:mad:
    With all the ways we spend money, kids' bellies should come first!

As far as using the system, kids don't use the system. If you want to call CPS (for continuing not to send money) or fine the parent - whatever. But kids need to feel safe. Part of feeling safe is to have food in your belly. School lunch is the only lunch many of our kids get. If we can send money overseas, there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to feed our nations' kids! Unexcuseable!!

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Let's hope the debt kids don't have a peanut allergy. A PB&J could be a deadly deal for owing the lunchroom money. :/

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

It's not the difference in food as much as it is the stigma of "I don't have money so I'm not the same as you". It is VERY REAL. I teach kinders and they know. I've seen kids tell a child with a pbj, "Oh, you just really tell your mom to give you money so you can be like us". How heartbreaking for a 5 year old.

20. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

See our "punishment" lunch IS different from the normal student lunch. How?

We NEVER have sandwiches other than on early release days. The kids know this so they know that when a friend is getting a sandwich (plus the neon colored tag they stick on their shirts) that means that said friend has no money for lunch.

So at my school, it is noticeable when a kid doesn't have lunch money because the lunches are completely different.