Lucy Calkins' Units of Study for Primary Writers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by CeCe, Dec 24, 2005.

1. fivesandsixes

fivesandsixes New Member

Aug 3, 2008

do you think you can send me a copy of the plan for K as well? BIG BIG HELP! Thank you!

2. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Aug 25, 2008

anybody have FIRST GRADE plans- I am a new teacher... who could really use the help:help:
    :thanks:

3. k12teacher

k12teacher New Member

Sep 6, 2008

I would love a copy of the yearly plan for kindergarten too! Thanks!

4. diehard

diehard New Member

Nov 8, 2008

Kindergarten plan for Lucy Caulins writing

I am having difficulty teaching my students writing using Lucy Calkins. I came across your post that you have a plan for Lucy Calkins writing in kindergarten. I was hoping you could share your plan with me. I too attended a training but it was only half day and very rushed. Thanks so much for your help.
    mjknuerr@msn.com

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I was trained in the Units of Study when I taught kinder. I loved it!! It just makes sense and the kids LOVED writing! They learned at an early age how dialog works, how to revise & edit their own writing, how to change the form of their writing (taking a narrative & turning it into a letter or a list, etc.).

I changed schools & started it with my 4th graders. My grade level partner had not seen the program and loves it - she spread the word and now we have many teachers who are interested in the program! It's really exciting for me because I love this writing program.

For upper elem teachers - you may want to look into
    "Writing About Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays" by Janet Angelillo - A great book to connect your read aloud to reading workshop to the Writing Workshop.
    &
    "Mastering the Mechanics" by Linda Hoyt & Therriault - for the grammar/conventions piece for Writing Workshop - punctuation and grammar are tools to enhance the writer's message

6. CES

CES New Member

Jan 28, 2009

I would love a copy of the yearly plan for kindergarten

7. byrdteacher

byrdteacher New Member

Feb 26, 2009

another k in need

I also starting using the Lucy Culkins for my K's. I would love the calendar you mentioned to use as a guideline. If anyone else has anything they think would be helpful I can use all information I can get!:)

8. latully

latully New Member

Apr 21, 2009

Timeline for Kinder

I would love a copy of the calendar/timeline. We are also developing one that I will share. Is it available on a website? Thanks!

9. pdeal

pdeal New Member

Jun 4, 2009

I am a literacy coach for grades k and 1st. We ar beginning the Lucy Clakins writing wrokshop in kindergarten next year. I would love to see how your school has kindergarten implementing this program. First grade played with it this year, but it will be new for kindergarten. I am trying t figure out how to move it into kindergarten.
    Thanks!!!

10. lovetoteach3499

lovetoteach3499 New Member

Jun 23, 2009

I just noticed your post about Lucy Calkins for kindergarten. I would love to see the yearly plan for kindergarteners.

11. graciegoose

graciegoose New Member

Jun 30, 2009

I too would love to see the plans for Lucy Calkins in Kindergarten!!! Please!

12. eneal

eneal New Member

Jul 2, 2009

Sorry guys

I posted my reply and found out that I couldn't post a link in my message. If you go to google and type in denver public schools curriculum, it will take you to the website. Sorry I am a newbie!

13. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 5, 2009

We use this program in my district and I think it works well for Kindergarten. I supplement my writing with lessons from jmeacham.com...she has Writer's Workshop lessons suitable for K-1. They are in a great order and she has rubrics, etc. that you can download.

14. bernrice

bernrice Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

UOS and Daily Five?

Hi,

I teach 2nd am very interested in using the Units of Study. I was wondering if anyone has experience using it in conjunction with Daily Five?

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone found it? Could you post a link please! I'm searching through denver public school curriculum and I can't locate it.

16. kinderkell

kinderkell New Member

Aug 19, 2009

Hi, I would really like a copy of the yearly plan for kdg. Lucy Caulkins.

17. sshappycamper

sshappycamper New Member

Jun 27, 2011

Would love your offer

I would love a copy of the kindergarten lessons for Lucy Calkins if you still have it available. We are starting Lucy Calkins this year and I had not found it very user friendly. I'll keep trying but would love anything to make it easier. Thanks!

18. CCBlues

CCBlues New Member

Jul 6, 2011