Lucy Calkins' Units of Study for Primary Writers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by CeCe, Dec 24, 2005.

1. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Dec 24, 2005

Has anyone used this yearlong writing curriculum designed for K-2? I've seen some sample minilessons at the Heinemann Publishers website & I really like what I've read. Just curious if this would be geared more toward 1st & 2nd grade writers or would it be good for Kindergarten?? Anyone familiar with it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2005

I have the units of study and LOVE it. I'm in second and most of the lessons seem right on target for my grade level. I have shared the poetry unit book with my third grade colleagues. I think K could be a stretch but you could probably adapt some of the lessons for your kiddos.

4. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Dec 28, 2005

Our district just adopted this for K-1 writing. They adopted Step Up to Writiting for 2-5. I'd like to know more about Lucy Calkin's too. We haven't had any trainings yet.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

It has just be adopted by my county. It was given to our 1st and 2nd grade teachers. The veteran teachers have not touched theirs as they are happy with their writing program, but I have a friend who has moved from 4th grade to 2nd grade and she just loves the Lucy Calkin's series. She says that one of the books tells you what to do everyday and since she is not very confident teaching writing to 2nd graders yet, she finds the book very useful. I teach special ed. and we did not get the series, but I am planning on asking another teacher to borrow theirs.

6. M Hutchinson

M Hutchinson Rookie

Dec 28, 2005

Lucy Calkins-Primary writing

I am so glad to read all of these neat comments. I will be able to see Lucy at a conference Jan. 19 in St. Charles. I love reading her books and can't wait to hear her in person. I feel like I will have lots of good info. to support what I feel is good for kids and their writing.

7. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Dec 29, 2005

Oooooh, I would love to hear Lucy speak at a conference! I wonder where I can get a schedule of her speaking engagements???

Wendy, be sure to let us know what you think of the "Units of Study" when you start using it. Wish I could get my district to adopt it, but if I want it, I think I'm gonna have to buy it myself since they just adopted Step Up to Writing, which I'm not that happy with for Kindergarten. I think it might be OK for grades 2 & up.

8. M Hutchinson

M Hutchinson Rookie

Dec 29, 2005

Lucy Calkins

Heinemann is sponsoring this workshop and I know I have bought one of her books from there.

9. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Dec 29, 2005

I'll be sure to let you know! I don't know when we'll receive our materials/training because the district is in a real financial crunch. They've adopted it but don't have the funds to purchase it!

10. k5teacher

k5teacher Rookie

Jan 2, 2006

I do not post much on here but I saw the question about Lucy Calkins and became curious:) Our district has had training offered for the Lucy Calkins Writing and we went to see her at a conference. I took a week long course on it this summer that really helped. The "Units of Study" for kindergarten are different than going straight through the books. When I took the course this summer our teacher gave us a plan for the year in kindergarten. If anyone would like it I will be able to get it from school tomorrow. I do use Lucy Calkins and I love it:)

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 2, 2006

Thank you very much for the offer. I would love a copy of the yearly plan for kindergarteners.:)

12. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Jan 2, 2006

For K5teacher

K5teacher,
    I, too, would love a copy of the plan for Kindergarten. Thank you so much for the offer. Where did you take the summer course you mentioned? Was it an online course through the Heinemann website? So do you feel that the "Units of Study" are appropriate for Kindergarten is or does it require an awful lot of modifying?

13. k5teacher

k5teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

I just looked at the plans and they are copyrighted. I am soooo sorry. Would I get in trouble for that? I will tell you that anything in the books that you don't think the children are capable of doing, omit them. Also, some lessons should be taught more than once. I took the course this summer through my district and the "researchers" and "teachers" from the Teachers college of Reading and Writing in NY came to teach us. It was very informative. The "units of study" do need motifications if you teach kindergarten like omitions and teaching a topic twice. But, the children love it and they are turning into good little writers. I like it better than dictating the sentences. I apologize about the units!!!! I really feel bad. You could probably get them from the Teachers College of Reading and Writing if you have the Lucy books.

14. k5teacher

k5teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

15. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jan 4, 2006

CeCe- I just found out today that I'll be receiving my materials by the end of Jan. and my training is on Feb. 7. I'm excited and I hope it will be easy integrate into my day!

16. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Jan 4, 2006

k5teacher, I understand about the copyright thing. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble for copying it. I would really like to take the course Heinemann Publishers offers on using the "Units of Study." I could probably get the Kindergarten plan through Heinemann, maybe. Thanks, anyway, for the other info you posted -- that's very helpful!

Wendy, I'm excited for you that you're getting your materials. Please be sure to let me know how the training went and what you think. It won't be easy probably to squeeze yet another thing into an already full 2 1/2 hour day, but I have done lots of research on the teaching of writing and I think it should definitely be given a priority spot in our Kindergarten day. I have been trying to make time for writing at least 3 days per week and have resorted to tossing out some of my ReadWell seatwork stuff in favor of journal writing. The kids love it and I really see lots of growth in their understanding of letter/sound associations.

17. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jan 20, 2006

Love It!

Hi!

I am so madly in love with Lucy I don't know where to begin.

I work in a low SES school, where most of the kids are free lunch. They do not get many positive educational experiences outside of school. They have taken to Lucy 100%. I am thrilled with the way that it helps them THINK! Even if the student isn't writing yet, they are thinking like authors.

Lucy is the best part of my day!

Kelly
    mrsmikesell.com

18. corabelle206

corabelle206 New Member

May 22, 2006

Lucy Calkins

I am a kindergarten teacher and at my school this year we were trained in the Lucy Calkins writing program and began implementing it in our classrooms. I absolutely love the program. The growth we saw, even in only half a year of really using the program was astounding. I never knew kindergarteners could write so well!! First and second grade at our school used the program too. I've heard nothing but positive comments from other teachers! Its great for K, 1, and 2.

19. M Hutchinson

M Hutchinson Rookie

May 23, 2006

Awesome writers

I was so excited at the end of the year. The last 3 weeks of the year I had the kids look at their stories and choose two they would like to 'revise' and read to parents at a Parent night. Out of 20 students I had 12 represented. The parents were thrilled. I had a grandmother that taught Middle School and she told one little boy what a great story he had written and all he wanted to do the last week of school was write. It was an excellent showcase of the students' abilities and a wonderful bonding and focus for the parents and kids.

20. Miss Lizard

Miss Lizard New Member

Jun 30, 2006

Lucy Calkins is Wonderful for Kindergarten

I just used her work for a few days, substituting in a 2nd grade writing summer school (kids had just completed 1st, some English Language Learners and kids below reading benchmark). I speed read thru three of the books: Nuts and Bolts of Writing Workshop, Getting it started, and Narrative -- Big ideas in small moments..

I can tell you that the text is VERY complete and VERY clear about how to work with kindergarteners, with whatever knowledge about "writing" they come in with.

for the first time in my teaching career, I felt like: aha! I could really teach writing with kids who are motivated to write because I will be genuinely interested in WHAT THEY ARE SAYING and I will be genuinely helping them in LEARNING TO SAY IT BETTER.

21. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006

I saw the complete set in Barnes and Noble for $156 and fell in love- of course I didn't buy it! BUT, I am even more interested in checking it out now- I teach 2nd and would love to find something to use!