LTS for 8th grade art - test okay?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 6, 2019

I just got asked to take a LTS for the remaining of the school year for 8th-grade art (they have been without a consistent teacher since October). I was essentially given a blank slate to create my own lesson plans within the lines of state standards.

I introduced a unit on basic color theory today (primary, secondary, tertiary, color wheel etc). Tomorrow we will go over shades & hues and tints. Friday I have a hands-on project planned that involves food coloring and shaving cream. Today they colored a color wheel and took notes. Tomorrow they will fill out a tint & hues project with paint.
    My question is this
    Tuesday is a scheduled test and I have it created. Is this overkill or not enough?
    Thanks

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 6, 2019

I would never encourage teachers to change a lesson plan. However, to be fully honest, I do not feel giving a test in art class is the best option. Art is supposed to be stress-free and without tests. The project is the test. The only written test should be the final exam. In my opinion, instead of a test, maybe you could consider have students making a book regarding color theory and monochromatic scale.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 6, 2019

I was told there was supposed to be a test scheduled for Tuesday since they have not had one "all year". But I love the book idea! Could maybe have them use a composition book. What ideas do you have for projects involving the color wheel?

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 6, 2019

Mandala color wheel. Students would create a regular color wheel, however, will do it on a fancy mandala design. It would, of course, be the same format as the color wheel, just on a mandala.
    In an art class, I would definitely recommend going with a project-based test.
    With that said, you already made the test, so giving it may be the more time-efficient option.

6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 7, 2019

Today they made color swatches on card stock . They started with a single color and slowly added white to it to show tinting. They really enjoyed it!

Teacher234 likes this.
  7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 7, 2019

I'm going to disagree on the popular consensus and encourage you to give the test. I use art standards for my film course, and the standards include not only creation, but also aesthetic perception, historical and cultural perception, and critical analysis. The standards also require covering the foundational skills of: communications, problem-solving, resource access and utilization, generating knowledge, and citizenship. Many of these I assess during film production. We also have tests on vocabulary, key concepts, history, film analysis, etc. I try to make sure that each standard is assessed multiple ways, and tests are a part of my overall assessment plan. My class still remains creative and relaxing.

Linguist92021 likes this.