Low Class Averages

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 16, 2017

But that still isn't a standard.

2. msleep

msleep Rookie

May 16, 2017

The student should be motivated to do these "important skills" to do better on the subject material which will in the end results in a better grade. This is a life lesson.
    If they are only doing it to raise their grade, then in the absence of a grade they will not strive to continue these skills. They will see the end result of these skills as a way to make their grade better instead of as a way to learn the material.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 16, 2017

Even in special education you're not supposed to mix behavior with academics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 16, 2017

How do you assess, though? (And I suppose, importantly, what grade are you teaching?)

Yes, behavior/life skills are intermixed in actual practice. Assessing them can and should be done separately, though.

Backroads likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2017

Not really. In every IEP I've read (I don't write them), the behavior goals are completely separate from the academic ones.

a2z likes this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 17, 2017

When I wrote IEPs, and now when I consult on them, behaviour goals are separate from academic ones. On our report cards, the subject area grades must only reflect mastery of the content, learning skills (independent work, responsibility, self-regulation, etc) are reported and commented on separately.

mathmagic likes this.
  7. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 4, 2017

Just wanted to chime in and say this year I have the lowest averages I've had in 15.5 years of teaching. They are all passing right now (though if we were back on the old 7-point scale like we were a couple of years ago, this wouldn't be true at all), but many of them are BARELY passing.

At least I know they'll try as hard as they can on the EOC. Some of them are in very real danger of failing if they bomb that test.

Mine, too, is mostly thanks to missing work. I've never seen absences like I've had this year. Unbelievable.

Peregrin5 likes this.