LOUD aide

Discussion in 'General Education' started by clarnet73, Aug 25, 2011.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2011

One of my TAs is incredibly loud... like all the time. She's only with me in the afternoons, but after one day of kids, I already have a headache from listening to her. I'm not sure if she realizes how loud she is or not... I have heard her whisper once or twice... but I don't need to hear every word she's saying at her center; it makes it hard to concentrate on MY center (not to mention the kids).

How do I tactfully say something?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2011

Start with a compliment and then simply tell her that when you are at centers I can hear you teach. It helps me know how you are doing. I especially liked xyz. The problem is my students are distracted because they hear both of us. WE may need to work on our teaching voices so both groups can hear us effectively. It's a bit different than when I teach in front of a whole group. Any suggestions?

I'm shooting from the hip here but in all honestly I think it would suit me better just to be blunt about it. I realize though that this is likely a new relationship for you.

When I need to finnesse, I tend to make it about me or the needs of the classroom to soften the blow. You should hear me tell aides to stop talking while I'm giving a lecture. Lol.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2011

Thanks, CnG... Yeah, if this was someone I'd known for a while, I'd just come right out and tell her. But i've only known her for a week, so I don't feel like i can do that quite yet.

I think maybe i can come at it with a "I know (particular student) has some difficulty when there is lots of noise. Let's make it a team goal to keep the volume level down when we're working with small groups of kids. I think it will improve focus."

5. Trendy_Teacher

Trendy_Teacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Maybe you can politely/jokingly tell her that you couldn't hear a word your kids were saying because she was so loud. I am in a room with another person and I hate it!

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2011

I have a really loud voice. I'd rather someone tell me than secretly resent me. I like cutNglue's tactful but straightforward suggestions.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 25, 2011

Me too!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

Yea,h today I said something to her... pretty much CnG's script about liking what she was doing and getting them to talk, but that I noticed a couple of kids having a hard time concentrating on what I was doing because all theycould hear was HER table. She said "oh, i know I get loud. please tell me!" I felt better.

It will get better :)

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 26, 2011

She will likely still need a reminder but at least she is aware of it. :)

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

Since she's aware of her issue (I'm loud as well), how about having a code word that means "take it down a few decibles"?

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

I've had substitute TAs come in & they are LOUD! I'm sure that in my situation, it's because they come from a sub company & sometimes they are subbing for the teachers & sometimes for a TA.

I had one that as I was trying to calm my class down, she was trying to wind them up! It was me saying please come in and quietly sit down & she was super perky trying to get them to bounce in. Oh my.

At the end of the day, my P asked me how the day had gone (he was hoping to permamently put her in my room). I was already telling a friend about the day, I got to the point that I was laughing, crying tears. He didn't know what to do!!! We called her Tigger, don't think I saw her again that year.