Lost my teaching job. Might take a year off?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LittleShakespeare, Jul 12, 2017.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 12, 2017

I was a member here a few months ago. My name was GatsbyGirl. I do apologize, I had to create a new account since my other one was deleted. I would appreciate some advice as these forums have been so insightful and inspiring to me.

If you don't remember me, perhaps I should tell you about what happened. I was a long-term sub for two years at this troubled high school. I got my standard teaching license via alternate route. It should be arriving this summer.

Anyway, I was let go because of a mistake I made, but the principal promised to write me a good letter of recommendation. I cleaned out my classroom and said goodbye.

This summer, I have applied to many jobs. I had a couple of interviews, and a few of my interviewers promised to call me back with talks of doing a demo lesson. To be honest, I haven't heard back from them, so I'm expecting the worst. It's okay, I'm still continuing to persevere.

It doesn't look like I'll be working as a full-time English teacher this September. As much as that pains me, I'm trying to see the bright side. I still am working for a substitute teaching company. I will continue applying and subbing. I'm also going to spend this summer applying to graduate school. I have big goals of going for my doctorate.

I guess I just needed some advice. Am I doing the right thing? I feel like I failed miserably at teaching. I miss it.

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2017

I don't know where you live... In many places around the US, it's still early in the summer. Many schools hire teachers throughout August. It's not common where I currently live, but I've lived in another place where it's quite common. I wouldn't give up on finding a job yet. I also don't know what you want to get your doctorate in, but I probably wouldn't get an education doctorate without more experience, unless your plan is to leave teaching for good.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  4. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 12, 2017

Thank you. No, it's not in education, but in medieval literature.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 13, 2017

Did the principal write you a glowing LOR? I remember your case, and you were a long term replacement teacher. I never did understand how you were "let go" since the timing seemed to indicate that your gig as long term replacement came to an end, in which case you may have simply come to the end of the line, with or without the mistake. If you got your standard certificate out of the deal you did well. As far as whether or not you may get a job, middle of July in NJ is too soon to call. What you really need to decide is whether you want to take the slower road to your doctorate, taking evening and summer classes, while teaching full time (financially a better deal), or whether you want the faster road to the doctorate while making less money and probably racking up some serious debt. Subbing will only go so far when you are taking classes on varied days.

If you really want to choose teaching, apply everywhere. Otherwise, you have gone at the job hunt half-heartedly. How do you know whether or not you could BE a great teacher without chasing the dream with everything you have to offer? Since you are receiving your standard certificate, your "mistake" doesn't seem to have been viewed as dire enough to have them tank your certification (their evaluations). If you have the LOR then I doubt that you are being "sunk" by your mistake, but rather you are not applying in a wide enough radius to less than perfect or ideal districts. Just my opinion.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2017

Given your prior struggles, I think it's a good idea to stay out of a classroom for a while.

7. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

What prior struggles?

8. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 14, 2017

He did give me a great letter. As for my standard, I have to check with the DOE to ensure everything's in order. All the paperwork was submitted, but I'd just want to make sure.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2017

Your "mistakes".

10. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

I think you mean "mistake". A bad choice that was made one time will not keep me out of the classroom for good. I'm a great teacher, especially in this Urban school, but I made one mistake. Don't teachers make mistakes every now and then? :)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2017

No, I'm pretty sure I mean "mistakes".

An occasional mistake is one thing. Calling students vulgar names to their faces is quite another.

12. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

When have I ever done that? Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Did you read my post when I had the Gatsby account? It was a bad choice of award. I never called my student something vulgar to his face.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  13. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

You're right, I did have to apply to some more schools. There's this website that a few colleagues told me about called "NJ HIRE." I have an interview on Tuesday, and I just joined last Thursday!

14. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

What state are you from, Bella? I'm in north Jersey, but I'm hoping to move to Delaware soon. I might have to get certified in Delaware too.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 16, 2017

NJ Hire is a for sure resource, and if you have some free time, which I am assuming you do, you can actually go on the school websites for every district in NJ and see what they actually have posted. This is good for districts where you might like to go, but out of your normal search area. Go online and simply search for NJ school districts directory. The DOE site will come up and all districts are listed by county. NJ typically hires through the start of school in many districts.

16. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Thank you so much. I've been going from county to county. It'll be nice to get out of an urban district for a while.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 16, 2017

Perhaps it would help to transform "lost my job" into "finished my long term replacement position," not only in what you write and say, but in how you think of the time you spent getting your standard certificate.

18. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

Jul 16, 2017

Check out k12jobspot.com. That's where I found my current job (from out of state) that is in a wonderful school.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2017

Keep n mind NJ is incredblu competitive. Have your ducks in a row.

20. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

Thank you, all. Oh yes, I didn't realize how competitive this state was till I lost my job.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2017

One should always be aware of the climate. Good luck to you.