Lost my cat today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrs. dub, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

To the OP,

Do what you need to do to heal. Pets are family:love: One we lose will never be replaced, but a new pet will continue to provide you with more unconditional love.

2. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

I am so very sorry for your loss. My children are our 3 cats. I truly sympathize.

3. Sep 30, 2007

Just over a year ago I lost my cat to a dog too

I am so so sorry to hear about Snoopy. I know exactly how you feel and it's been over a year now...the feelings are still as raw as ever. I'd like to tell you about my Cat Max and hopefully provide some comfort..and seriously any time you want to chat to me about it you let me know.

I rescued my boy Max from a shelter...a big strapping tabby he was and incredibly handsome. We lived in a lovely estate and he was an outdoor cat...I thought that was the kindest...and he was perfectly looked after. After a year we had to move due to my partners work.

He was so annoyed at having to be locked in until he had lived there a while that it wa snice to be able to let him out. He loved the new house and garden. We had always wanted a companion for Max so got a rescue kitty with issues...Pepsi. They didn't hit it off but it was fine as Max went out the flap and Pepsi didn't so they stayed apart. Only 2 weeks passed to that fateful day.........

.....I was having dinner with my partner after a busy day at work and could hear a dog snarling and growling and loads of shouting. I just felt sick to my stomach because I knew it was to do with Max. Anyway he had fought severely with the dog sending it and him into severe shock. I was completely distraught and rushed him to the vets only 10 minutes away but he passed away in the car. It was too much for him. (even now it's tough writing this as I stil lfeel the same guilt as I did that day).

I spent months of looking after Pepsi, smothering her, needing something to take my mind off the guilt...the what if's...none of it does any good. I knew my cat and I knew he would never have been happy as an indoor. The cat flap was sealed and I swore I'd never get another cat to 'replace' my Max. That was in April last year and in the December I had a call from a family friend saying that 3 kittens had been dumped outside and they had one left needing a home...I felt guilty at considering it but I knew nothing would replace Max but there were still so many kitties which needed a new home so I went to see. I came home with a perfect (although flea infested) baby male kit (a gorgeous medium hair tuxie). He has so many characteristics of Max since he's very confident and loving and very handsome.

I swore this baby was never gonna go outdoors..I could not face the pain of that day with Max again. Over the months I felt incredible guilt as he would sit on the window sill and look out so we found the perfect solution.

We now have a small cat run attached to the house totally enclosed with plenty of entertainment and they both go out at will.

As with your situation....I don't think it's too soon to get another cat....it's the best thing you can do. And about your loss...it really does help to put your feelings out there...I got through it with the cathobbyist forums. Please don't beat yourself up for too long about the what ifs and if only's.......they fade over time I promise you and you soon begin to remember only the good times with your kitty...things that make you smile. But yes I have learned from that and will never have another outdoor kitty....Please feel free to email me any time..Jaime Breton has my email address and I will reply to anything on this post. Thank you for giving your heart and soul to your kitty....she will always remember you...and the best thing you can do for her now at this time is to continue to share your love with another kitty...never a replacement...but just another kitty.

My heart goes out to you at this very difficult time.

Janis (owned by Pepsi and Cola (Baby cat)....and still Mommy to Max - Sleep tight poosy cat

4. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Janis--thanks so much for sharing that with me and all of us. You seem to have a great perspective from losing Max and having to move on. I'm glad you have Pepsi and Cola (cute names!) to care for!

5. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Our neighbor owns the two dogs, and they were on their side of the fence when it happened (we think Snoopy chased something and got under the fence through a drainage hole). It really wasn't the dogs' fault; I think they did what any territorial dogs would do when a cat invades their space. Our neighbor knows the situation and is very apologetic--he's even offered to buy us a new cat. Deep down, we all know it was a tragic accident, and as much as I'd like to hate those dogs, I can't. (But I don't think I'll pet them anytime soon like I used to!)

6. Oct 1, 2007

The dog that did it to Max lives still about 5 doors along the street. After we came from the vets empty handed they came straight round and apologised which did help a lot. I was concerned for their dog too as it suffered massive shock. It still hurts to see them out walking the dog, but you're right, it is too hard to hate the dog....it's only natural instincts.

Janis