Lost my calendar...I've been crying for an hour.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 17, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

I keep all of my appointments, meetings, school events, etc. written down on a planner/calendar. I know it's "old-fashioned," but I'm very visual, and I have to see it color-coded and written down on my big calendar.

So, I had a doctor appointment today, and I brought it along to schedule my next appointment. I remember leaving with it, and putting it in my car, under my purse. I came straight home, and brought everything in the house. I went to go look at, and it's gone. I looked everywhere in my car (about 12 times), in my garage, and I turned the house upside-down. Whenever I bring my work stuff home, I put it right on the kitchen table. That's where everything else was, but no planner. No one else is home, so no one could have moved it besides me.

I'm beyond confused. I even drove 25 minutes across town to look through the doctor's parking lot. I called, but they're closed, and they don't have an answering service (just a real person, who apparently doesn't take messages...???).

I write EVERYTHING down in there. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to duplicate what I've already done. Every parent meeting, every event for the entire school year (some are on a schedule, but some were only communicated through emails, which I deleted), every meeting-everything. I've been crying (at times sobbing) over losing it. I don't even know what to do with myself right now. I guarantee I'm going to miss some meetings and events this year, because of this. :(

I guess I just needed to get it all out. I'm super sad right now. :(

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 17, 2014

I feel you, I'm addicted to my planner too. What I do though, to prevent this sort of situation is I have a desk calendar at school that I right all my school stuff in, and in my portable planner I include some school stuff too (if it affects my personal schedule), but it's all my personal obligations in that one. I am super anal and if my planner gets "sloppy looking" or whatever, I will buy a new one and toss the old one, I usually have 3 or 4 each year. It's ridiculous.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

Yeah, I think I'm going to start backing everything up on my Outlook calendar.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I maybe don't remember correctly, and I left it at the doctor's office, or dropped it in the parking lot. That's the only thing I can think of.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 17, 2014

Oh, I know that feeling of searching in a panic for something important. It's awful. I hope it turns up soon.

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Sep 17, 2014

Stop looking for it! Honestly, when I lose things I always find them when I stop thinking about it.
    Good luck!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 17, 2014

I completely understand. I don't do electronic planners, etc. I keep the "old-fashioned" type too (spiral thin book format) & love writing everything, highlighting important events, writing in diff colored inks, etc. Fortunately, my chances of losing mine is slim since I keep it at home on my desk.

Losing that would be like losing my wallet...almost. It would be extremely tough to recall all that info again off the top of my head.

I sure hope it pops up somewhere!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 17, 2014

I have a methods student that started toddy. I needed to be able to discuss what he will teach, so I needed my new curriculum map that I created. Guess what I couldn't find yesterday?? I cleaned out the rack on my desk, the current year file drawer, the stack of random papers stacked on the shelf, and the empty but used file folder stack in the storage cabinet. Nothing. I gave up and decided to recreate a rough map at least, pulled out the old map and curriculum binder (which I had searched 3 times). I turned to my social studies key concepts and there, stuck in the pocket of the divider was my new map. I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time. At least I got some things organized. Hopefully your calendar will show up when you least expect it! Good luck!!

9. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Sep 17, 2014

Sounds like it might slipped in between something. I've found things in some strange places. Maybe it fell on the kitchen chair. In the folds of the newspaper.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 17, 2014

Ah, this is why I love my Apple products. The calendar is amazing. You can color-code events, set reminders, create different sub-calendars (say, "IEP Meetings" and "Department Meetings" could be two of them), share your sub-calendars with people, and best of all, anything I do on my calendar on my MacBook is automatically updated on my calendar on my iPhone, and vice versa.

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 17, 2014

Hopefully it is at the Doctor's office. I think you would have noticed if it dropped. I hope you find it!

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2014

I'm usually all about gadgets, but haven't found a calendar app that fully makes me happy, so I use a moleskine notebook. I've gotten into the habit of scanning it into my ipad every week as backup, and also each access from any device since the PDF is shared on all my devices.

I know that doesn't help you know, but it might when you find your planner. Hopefully it's just in the doctors office.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I like google calendar

Or if you absolutely don't like anything you have encountered - just make your own calendar/planner template in Excel and toss it up on google docs.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2014

I'm with you, Pigeon. I like things in writing. I'll be waiting anxiously all day for you to post that you left it at the Dr office!

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I called the doctor right away this morning, and they said they didn't have it. :( My husband is going to stop by after he's done with work tonight, and look around the parking lot and ask around some more.

It's just so weird...I was standing at the counter, looking at it while I made my appointment. I left, and I'm 99% sure I had it in my hands, and I went straight home. I thought that maybe I set it on top of my car while I got my keys out of my purse, and then drove off, which would mean it was in the parking lot. I've never left anything on my car before, so that's highly unlikely, but I did search the parking lot. Unless I did do that, and someone found it and took it?

Then I went right home, and brought my work bag, lunch bag, and purse into the house, and set them on the kitchen table. I searched my car at least a dozen times (it's super clean...I would have noticed it), pulled it out of the garage, and search the garage. I looked all around my (tiny and super clean, clutter-free) house, and could not find it. I even looked in weird places like the shower, closets, under the bed, etc.

I just don't get it. :confused:

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 18, 2014

I bet you checked the same exact places a million times. How big is the calendar? Is it a thick planner or just a calendar?

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I totally have!

It's the size of a notebook, but a little thinner.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

Everything I "lose" seems to slip under the seats of my car. I'm sure you looked but could it have slipped under the mat?

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

Our assistant superintendent carries around a planner that she jots down appointments/meetings in. It makes me cringe every time I see her writing down important dates because I think, "What if she loses it???"

I use calendar function in Outlook. My work email and work calendar are also connected to my iPhone, so I can see all my appointments, deadlines, meetings, etc.

One year (2006), I misplaced my grade book. After that horrible event, I vowed to keep electronic copies of everything and not handwrite anything important.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I'm definitely going to use Outlook from now on to back everything up! I love my paper calendar, so I'll probably put everything in there first, and then in outlook as a backup.

I told a few of my co-workers my sob story today, and they were really disappointed with me that I don't back everything up! lol

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2014

Oh dear Pigeon, so sorry you still never found it! :(

Or when you get another new paper calendar, if you buy another, that is, you make a copy of each page of the month when you've got most of your info written in again. Then, if you ever should lose it again (hopefully not!) then, you at least have most of the info.