Lost Coat

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Cole_x, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

One of my little one's lost his jacket today. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal because these kids are always loosing everything, but this child lost his jacket right after lunch and didn't tell me until his bus pulled up. So of course my aids and myself went crazy looking for this jacket to no avail. We even got my P in on the hunt.

I'm dreading seeing this parent tomorrow. This child has been transferred to my class because his father threatened his old teacher. Joy! I hope my P is able to intercept him before he makes it into my room. I do not handle parents yelling at me very well.

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Habitué

Apr 30, 2012

Yikes! When did we become the responsibility police. I hate that the student isn't being held accountable here. Uggh. Let's hope the jacket turns up. Maybe you could shoot them an email tonight explaining that you were not informed of the missing jacket until dismissal and that you will he on the HUNT tomorrow! Maybe that will make things better!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Just be honest. A K kid losing a jacket and not telling you until line up for dismissal is really out of your control at that point. Explain how you, your aides, and even the principal scoured the building for it. I'm sure it will show up. Don't lose sleep over this.

5. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

I'm not going to loose sleep. My class knows that they are responsible for their belongings and that's that. Of course I'm there to help find things but I can't keep track of everyone's belongings.

Oh well, let's hope this parent has a level head in the morning.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Good attitude...you shouldn't lose sleep. The jacket will turn up. Perhaps one of your aides can check the lost and found tomorrow with your student...sometimes loose and lost items show up a day or two later.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2012

In 11 years of teaching first grade, I have never been blamed for a child losing a coat, sweater, or jacket.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 1, 2012

My GS lost his cell phone today. His mother isn't blaming the teacher.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

Hopefully it was warm enough where you are to go without wearing a coat. I hope that the coat falls into your hands before the parent arrives today.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Habitué

May 1, 2012

How was today?

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 15, 2012

I don't think it's that far-fetched to think a parent would yell about a missing coat (not that I agree!). This year I was given an attitude because I dismissed a child to her mother with no shoes on her feet. She had an accident in the bathroom and the pee got all over her sneakers. I request that parents send in a change of clothes, including socks, so she changed everything else. But she didn't have extra sneakers and calls home and to cell phones went unanswered and unreturned. I'm sorry, did you want me to cobble some shoes for the child in my free moments? Some parents will criticize for the silliest of things.

Hope this parent doesn't cause you trouble!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 15, 2012

I love it when the parent says the KNOW their child left it at daycare, then the next day the kids comes in wearing the coat and it was in the mother's car!
    Same with backpacks! Seriously, how can a parent lose a backpack in the house? I've had parents send their child in sox because they couldn't find their shoes! Maybe I'm just too organized, but really...then go to Wal Mart or a thrift store and have an extra pair on hand.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 16, 2012

I agree Grammy, that irks me. It's a backpack. How big is your house??

I also dislike when I ask my students where their backpack/binder/library book is and the response is automatically, "My mom forgot to give it to me." My reply is always, "It's not your mom's backpack/binder/library book, it's yours- it is your job to bring it to school."

It's so much more difficult to teach personal responsibility to children who have none outside of the classroom.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 16, 2012

:yeahthat:

15. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 17, 2012

Wow, you must be way up north if they're still wearing coats to school! :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

I can't speak for the OP. But we've had LOTS of rain in the past few weeks (after a winter in which we got practically no snow.... go figure.) My kids have been wearing a sweatshirt or light jacket for the past few weeks, mostly for the mornings or for the threat of rain in the afternoons.

The coaches are going crazy, trying to fit in makeups. And my husband, who photographs lots of those sports for several local yearbooks, isn't too happy about it either.

17. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 17, 2012

Yeah, I guess it is still spring time! And yes - rain, definitely helpful to have a coat for that.