Loss of Balance/Twitching with My Dog?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2013

Hi guys. My Boston Terrier is about a wk from being 8 yrs old & has always been in excellent health. Out of the blue tonight, without any warning signs, he's walking around the house & at times, seems to slightly lose his balance. It seems that one of his hind legs twitches at times for several seconds, but I notice his face kind of doing it too. Then, his body will kind of be motionless & that's when he loses balance. I've NEVER seen him act like this before. He's not very active in general, didn't eat anything funny that I know of. I've been observing him now for 15 min.

I'm almost in tears watching him because I don't know what's wrong!

Can anyone give any input? Thanks a lot!

3. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 22, 2013

I would take him to the vet first thing in the morning. This happened to my dog in his later years, and the vet thought he probably had a stroke and suffered some brain damage. I'm sure your dog will be fine, but it doesn't sound like something to mess around with. Could be anything from an allergic reaction to a seizure to who knows what. Hope he feels better!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

I would definitely take him to the vet, just to make sure of what is going on. You'll feel better knowing what's going on.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

Yep, you need to go to the vet.

6. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Feb 22, 2013

Definitely take him to the vet ASAP, always better to be safe than sorry.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

How is he today, Ms. I?

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for your comments guys. I've already started documenting his behavior.

MrsC, this morning, he seemed OK so far. No loss of balance yet really. He's been sleeping now again for the last hour in his bed, like he always does. OK, just got up & his footing seems a little unsure. I have to see if he's drinking more water than usual or not.

I've told my mom about what he did, so I'll see what she thinks too.

I have today off from work, but I have a 1/2 day training to attend.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

If it's a stroke, neurological problem, or a seizure, the sooner you get him to the vet, the better.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Feb 22, 2013

I hope he is ok.

I agree with everyone else. Get him to the vet, if only to rule out a stroke or seizure.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2013

When I told my mom, she said she'll take him to the vet while I'm at my training. The earliest appt she could get was 3:30, so I had just enough time to meet her at my apt where she could get him & keep him at her house until leaving for the appt. Then, I'll pick him up after my training.

It turns out my mom didn't tk him to the vet. She said he was fine, running & jumping around & she had even taken him for a walk. She called the vet & asked if I could bring him in tomorrow IF I see more symptoms. He's been fine just about all day today.

Hmm, thanks for the comments guys. I hope this was all it was.

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 22, 2013

Hmmm...I would have wanted her to take him to the vet as planned. He may seem fine, but anything could be happening (or have happened) internally. I'd at least want to speak to a professional about it. Maybe I'm a little quick to get to the vet, though. I need to be pretty bad off to go to the doctor, but buddy takes the trip for just about anything...better safe than sorry, and since he can't take himself I think I owe him the drive. :)

Hope everything is fine! Keep us updated.

13. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2013

Keep us updated. I'm glad he's fine, but the symptoms were alarming. My 4 year old dog has something called border collie collapse syndrome (she's not a border collie btw). She has twice seemed drunk for a few minutes. It's a neurological disorder where the body thinks its overheating even though the body temp is normal. I would suggest taking your dog in for a check up and baseline bloodwork.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 22, 2013

Google vestibular disease Ms. I. My dog had it a few months ago... it's balance issue, related to inner ear. It was a scary situation no doubt, but she's come back strong.

Be careful with stroke symptoms all. Vestibular disease has the symptoms of stroke: sudden, eyes glossed over, unable to stand, let alone walk... when I saw her that morning, I thought this could be it. But I've read stories about folks who had their dog put down because they were told their dog had a stroke, who in hindsight believe they had the symptoms of "just" vestibular disease. That would be terrible to consider (that you killed your own dog).

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2013

I'm not a vet, so I'll leave it to the experts.

I didn't say that it WAS a stroke. I said that it could have been, or any number of other things, and that's based on what I've seen in my own dog. My point was not to diagnose but to stress the importance of a visit to the vet for a complete medical exam.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2013

I agree :agreed::yeahthat:

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 23, 2013

Thanks again guys, I'll keep you posted! I'm off for the next 3 days, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him for sure!