Looking to buy my first sewing machine. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2013

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2013

What kinds of sewing do you do? I have a 25year old Singer machine..nothing fancy, but it des what I need for simple hems, home projects ( crafts, pillows, curtains) and the random sewing pattern project.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 2, 2013

I have a basic Singer machine, and I've completed some advanced projects with it. I learned with my mom's machine, which is over 40 years old. I bought my own when I got out of college. It lasted 20 years. A piece broke, and I couldn't find a repair shop. I bought a new one. I like it, too

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2013

I would like to start making cute skirts, tops, etc. Stuffed animals, pillow cases, etc.

So, random projects. I made my Halloween costume (I went as a sashimi sushi so I made a tshirt using fabric that looked like rice, a shrimp pillow, and a belt for the seaweed wrap). I LOVED making this costume and really want to do more. Many people at work said my top looked super cute and that they would actually buy that top. And because I'm so picky with clothes, that I thought it would be cool to make more of my own clothes. :)

So, one machine I found was a Singer and the other a Brother. I'll have to ask my mom what she has. Of course, products that used to be good 20 years ago doesn't necessarily mean that they are still good today... but both of those machines have good reviews.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2013

I taught myself to do some seeing a few years back. I have a Brother sewing machine. It is easy to use and I've never had any problems with it. It's a more basic version than the ones you posted-it's not computerized. You can buy basic Singer and Brother sewing machines from Walmart.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 2, 2013

Singer--unless it is one of their upper end ones- have plastic parts wher metal use to be. If you have an older one, it might be better to have it cleaned and serviced. A good michine should last forever. I have a kenmore over 25 years old, a Bernina, a Bernina Deco embroidery machine, and a Bernetta serger. Babylocks are good machines. Bernetta are cheaper Berninas.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 3, 2013

I have a 30 year old Singer, which has been in the shop once for adjustments. I do a fair amount of sewing. Many machines can do all sorts of fancy things, but I just need forward, backward and zig-zag.

Whatever you choose, see if they offer a free class so you can be sure you know how to thread it properly and use any attachments.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2013

I bought this one last year Singer Heavy Duty. I LOVE it!

I had another Singer that did all of the fancy stitches, but it couldn't handle denim or quilting. It bounced on the table when I got going fast, and skipped stitches a lot.

My new one is a beast. Doesn't move, sews a perfectly straight line every time, easy to thread and load.

My only beef with Singer is that both machines I purchased had a misprint in the book about the correct bobbin size. That was super frustrating and had me thinking the machines were snarly, thread-eating junk until I went online and found where someone had posted the correct bobbin size.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2013

I haven't had a sewing machine since child #2 changed my sewing room to a bedroom.

But I'm a big Singer fan.