Looking like I need a new science credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2018

If the district is seriously considering the three-class option, I'll guess that there aren't many other qualified geoscience teachers in the district or that they anticipate a shortage. And if a whole district has to go one way or the other, rather than implementing the model that works with their staffing - well, I think that's stupid.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

I am going to see to the head of science curriculum of the district in the morning for a training and plan to ask for clarification then.

3. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:15 PM

So yea. She said they were still deciding but since most other districts have already gotten rid of Earth Science she says it is hard to argue to keep it as a seperate class. She said a few people with the credential would be moved to middle school and the rest pink slipped.... On the plus side she said it would not happen next year, but maybe the year after. So there is a little time to start testing into other subjects. It will just be a little harder for me to pass with a new baby and no sleep....... It still makes me mad that I put in so much work to be credentialed in my subject and be NGSS aligned and I am being essentially told its all worthless now. I also do not think it is fair that no other science subjects have to get another credential or worry about being pink slipped even though they will be supposed to be teaching a third of the Earth Science standards.

4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:05 PM

I guess it makes sense in a science teacher shortage money saving way also. By getting rid of the introductory Earth Science course they are going from 4 required courses to three so they would need1/4 less science teachers per high school which would save them money and mean that they would need to hire/replace 1/4th less science teachers as other teachers retire. That would help them overall in a science teacher shortage I guess.....

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:58 PM

Sorry to hear that. I'm very surprised they weren't more accommodating at the High School level.