Looking like I need a new science credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 2, 2018

With the NGSS being implemented its looking like my district is leaning toward the 2 implememtation options which would make my geoscience single subject credential no longer enough to teach science in high school. Anyone else in this boat? It just makes me so mad because I am almost in my last trimester of pregnancy and am running out of time to realistically study for and pass another CSET before baby. It also makes me mad to see all the hoops I have jumped through to get here ( preservice, credential program, student teaching, BITSA, gaining tenure) and now I have to teach something else to stay employed in my district. It makes me mad. Anyone else in the same boat with a geoscience credential that is quickly becoming outdated?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 2, 2018

Is there not some sort of grandfather clause that would allow you additional time to get another cert?

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2018

What is it with public schools and all the red tape? It’s ridiculous. You’ve already proven yourself and have a valid teaching credential. You don’t need another one.

I always imagine a bunch of grumpy old administrators sitting around a table and voting for new teaching requirements to make education seem more rigorous. What’s the point of it all?

Geologygirl likes this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Jan 2, 2018

I haven't heard any grumblings about that from teachers in my district so I am not sure what's going on with it here. I do know we are in the process of implementing those standards.

Side note: One of the reasons I went for math over chemistry (which is what I originally wanted to major in) is I thought it would be too boring doing the same chemistry class year after year (until I was given AP), whereas math gives you the luxury to teach algebra, geometry, precalculus, calculus, statistics, computer science, etc, each of which could change from year to year. My desire to be Heisenberg was trumped by my desire for variety. (Though, as it is, I have been teaching a schedule of all precaculus for the past 3 years, I have taught more variety in the past, and I am sure I will in the future.)

AlwaysAttend and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 2, 2018

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2018

Oh, for - !

(Insert here TeacherGroupie considering several alternatives in phraseology and rejecting them all. Aliceacc continues to cast a long and worthy shadow.)

The Science (Specialized) subtests have been phased out, yes - but Science (Specialized) credentials ARE still being issued through 2020 - and typically the phase-out date for a credential that one already holds is considerably later than the phase-out date for qualifying for a brand-new one.

Unless you're in a private school - and possibly even if you are, depending on whether you're a member - please get in touch with your union steward and ask what your options are. You will get a set of answers having to do with your employment, and you need them.

In addition, please make an appointment with the credential analysts at your COE. Waddle in and ask what your options are. You will get a different set of answers; if the district or the county is hard up enough for general-science teachers to be railroading you, one or both are hard up enough for qualified science teachers to work with you on this.

(For the record, geologygirl, I am not a betting TeacherGroupie - but if I were, and given the nature of your postings on science and teaching here on A to Z, if someone offered to bet against your passing CSET Science 215, I'd take the other side and expect to chortle all the way to the bank.)

futuremathsprof and catnfiddle like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

And then crying foul when people just see how ridiculous it is and just decide not to teach altogether. They declare a "teacher shortage'' and depending on the state, or area, will just water down the requirements to the bare bones. I mean NYS eliminated the literacy test for its teachers because so many failed (a literacy test, yep!) and then lowered the passing scores from 520 to 500, called "safety net scores'', because the candidates couldn't reach the bar for those either.
    :roll:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

I'm going back into the field with this already in mind. I read the tea leaves and know with budget cuts and what not, that positions will be cut. So at the end of the day I want to be as flexible as I can in a district. By the end of my program, I'll have three certifications (maybe four!) so that they can move me where they need me because I never want to be in a position where they say "We have to cut this class and let you go.'' Or if I taught Spanish, I'd have to deal with the extreme of being the ONLY teacher and have HUGE class sizes on top of it.
    :(

10. futuremathsprof

Jan 3, 2018

That’s what we do in America. If the test is too “hard” we say it discriminates against minorities, we dumb down the test, and/or we eliminate it outright. Didn’t you know? :rolleyes:

11. futuremathsprof

Jan 3, 2018

Good thinking! If you have 3-4 certifications and two are in high demand areas, then you will surely keep your job even if some teaching positions get eliminated. Spanish teachers and Literacy teachers are really hard to come by, so I think you’re good.

What is the fourth certification?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

Thanks and I've always looked at the more you can offer a district, the better. Plus, I just have multiple interests and want to be able to teach them all at various points in my career. I know it's easy for me to say because I'm in a different situation, but I think all teachers should be willing to further their education to keep up to date with the current trends in education. The school district should definitely help out financially, but it's the teacher's job to be a life long learner. You have to walk the walk.
    I looked at my transcript and figured out that I have the necessary course work to be certified English 7-12 as well. I'd just need to take the ELA CST. I don't know if I'd want to go through another test, but it's an option.
    :)

Geologygirl and futuremathsprof like this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

Yikes. All of my classmates, except one, are white women and they couldn't pass them either.

14. futuremathsprof

Jan 3, 2018

I was being sarcastic. I’ve heard this said countless times in these forums.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 4, 2018

I'm confused. What would be required to teach science in your high school then?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2018

General science plus area of specialization, I'd guess, like your credential. In other words, it seems that her district is jumping the gun on mothballing the Science (Specialized) credential that Geologygirl currently holds.

17. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 4, 2018

My district is pretty strict about only teaching what you are certified for.

18. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 4, 2018

Its not specialized its the regular geoscience credential. With the new standards your district has to decide which way they want to implement them in high school. They could keep it as 4 seperate classes as now, completly integrated, or bio, chem, and physics and just teach the geoscience standards associated with those classes. The last seems to be how people are leaning so far in my district, but a final decision has not been made ( They plan to know by May). I just realy dont want to be on my maternity leave and then find out I need to take another CSET. One of our union reps told me today they would probably move me to middle school if they go with the 3 class plan, but I am not super fond of 7th and 8th grade.

19. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jan 4, 2018

Biology chemestry or physics.

20. futuremathsprof

Jan 5, 2018

Wow, they’re basically demoting you. Nothing like adding insult to injury. I’ll never make sense of the idea that you can go from being highly qualified to unqualified just because a school district enacts a policy change. So I guess they’re saying all those years you taught those high school science courses that your students weren’t being taught correctly. :rolleyes:

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 5, 2018

I see. I don't see why that would mean you're out of a job. In my experience most schools took the broad view of science credentials. For instance I had a biology credential, but I mostly taught physical science. This was true in California and in Oregon. If you say you have the general geology credential that's even better because you had to take the general science subtests meaning you were tested on physics, biology, geology, AND chemistry and the only difference was the last subtest which was probably geology focused.

That would likely qualify you to teach any course that includes the word "science" in it. Example: physical science, life science, earth science, etc. Many high schools offer one or more of these as a first year science course.

Honestly, with how hard up they are for science teachers I would be very surprised if they gave you a hard time about it after making this change and didn't do something to make it work for you. The main thing I think would change that might be annoying for you is that you wouldn't get to teach a geology-only course anymore, meaning you'd probably have to throw out all of the curriculum you've developed.

Do you know for sure (i.e. talked to your principals/district credential analysts) that this change would invalidate your subject matter competency or do you just think it will?