Looking for School-Wide Earth Day Celebrations!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shoreline02, Feb 7, 2018.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Feb 7, 2018

I'm on the Green School Committee at school and we're trying to plan a school-wide Earth Day Celebration. We are at the elementary level but all ideas are welcomed. We have done planting seeds in pots before. The only idea we've come up with so far is Upcycle Day where students bring in recycled materials to turn into something new.

Any more ideas?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 7, 2018

Plant a communal garden, raise money to buy a tree, have a poster contest, research a new topic about recycling/conservation that relates to the huge increase in online deliveries and the waste that produces, research your local solid waste department's policies regarding the disposal of electronic devices.

https://www.earthday.org/campaigns/plastics-campaign/
    For 2018, the emphasis is on ending plastic pollution. If you don't already have a recycling program at your school, start one. (Our student council members were in charge of organizing ours.) Join this endeavor and make posters about the issue to put up in the cafeteria.

Send your ideas and proposed partnerships to plastic@earthday.org

4. Belch

Belch Companion

Feb 7, 2018

I would second the idea of a garden. The school lunch period can be utilized to bring awareness to all sorts of things, including learning how to grow vegetables, and what those vegetables mean to our health.

Plus, if you're going to be throwing potatoes I had to plant and harvest into the bin, you're not going to be my favorite classmate.