Looking for Nonfiction Cold Comps/Reads/Passages

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Olive.Owl, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Feb 8, 2011

I have a file full of Cold Comps (passages that my students read and then answer comprehension questions at the end); however, I am lacking nonfiction, preferably boring ones. My team is hoping to prep our fifth graders for the state standardized assessments by coaching them through the most boring-of-boring passages so they can conquer anything they come upon when FCAT comes along next month.

I am hoping to find something that is about 1,000 words, nonfiction, with comprehension questions to follow that is on a 5th grade reading level.

If anybody knows where I can find something like this or has a file they are willing to send, I would greatly appreciate it! :]

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Feb 8, 2011

ReadWorks.org

I also have trouble finding nonfiction passages. I find this website very useful! http://www.readworks.org/

The passages aren't really boring (which is why I like them) but they're good for teaching strategies. I've only used these for my 3rd graders so I don't know what the 5th grade passages are like. Check it out!
    :)

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 8, 2011

I have a book of nonfiction reading passages that I use. Usually I create my own questions, though, to match them to the same types of questions the students see on the test. I think the publisher is Evan Moor.

5. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Feb 8, 2011

These look great! I really hated to say, "I want boring passages!" but we're focused on being able to make our students superb readers through any material, as it's foreseen that the assessment is going to have very dry, stagnant passages.

Thank you! I cannot wait to go through all of these :]