Looking for guidance thanks! (SCIENCE)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Dutch97, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Dutch97

Dutch97 New Member

Mar 2, 2017

Currently a Naval Aviator about to retire this year and looking to teach Science (6-12) via the GaTAPP program. I am in FL and trying to reach out for any guidance that would be MOST appreciated as I start this endeavor since I haven't been in a science text book in over 20 years but absolutely love the subject.

1. Will there be any chemical calculations on the GACE exam that require a calculator?
    2. Are there any and if so roughly how many constructed response answers?
    3. Science 024 and 025 are required exams for me to take but what is over 024 and 025?
    4. Any recommended links for me to visit to get ready as part of my preparation?
    5. I purchased GACE Science prep study guides from Amazon but they are very VERY basic info which touches on the areas, is that normal for this specific test?
    6. How many questions on each test need to be correct for a pass?

My apologies, just a little nervous and I want to prepare correctly is all.

Thank you for your time

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2017

This page, http://gace.ets.org/prepare/materials/524, offers GACE's official preparation materials; the Study Companion and the Test at a Glance docs are free for the downloading and will answer your questions about calculator availability, constructed response questions, and the content covered by each of 024 and 025. I haven't looked at these lately, but my recollection is that when Georgia moved its teacher-test contract from Pearson to ETS, the GACE program mostly dropped constructed responses.

For good science links, let me recommend having a look at threads here on A to Z that cover other states' science exams.

If the science prep materials you've found on Amazon seem very basic to you, that's generally a good sign. Supplement them by looking up key terms on the internet; Wikipedia is the test taker's friend.

No one can answer definitively the minimum number of questions required to pass a teacher test or subtest: subtests inevitably differ in difficulty. With that said, I'll add that, for most teacher tests, 2/3 correct is generally enough to pass.

4. Dutch97

Dutch97 New Member

Mar 6, 2017

GACE Science 6-12 024 and 025 complete! 257 and 268!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 7, 2017

Congratulations!

6. James Rowe

James Rowe Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

What was the best study tools that you used? I am taking the GACE in April and am worried about it.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Mar 20, 2017

I also used Fact's on File books for the subjects I was weakest in. Most of us have strengths and weaknesses, and the short version answers helped me put this in context, which helped me learn as a went. I bought them on Half.com for practically nothing and still have them in my classroom. I love those books.