Literacy Work Stations

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teachingtots, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

I'm a new teacher and I'm trying to get a handle on setting up literacy work stations. My kids will be doing stations while I lead guided reading groups during our reading workshop block.

I'm planning on having ten stations in all, so two children at each station for 15 minutes at a time. Once we get into the swing of things, they will rotate through four stations per day. Does this seem reasonable?

I know that it's a good idea to have students only rotate through 1 or 2 stations the first week or so, so that students can get used to expectations and the routine. But how do you initially introduce each station and task for the first time?? It seems like a lot to show the kids all the stations in one day!! How does everyone else introduce stations for the first week? THANKS!!!!!!! :help:

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

I introduce stations one at a time. I have some of the same students from last year. They were familiar with them, so that helped. You could even use small group time to introduce them, so that the kids pay more attention. My kids only do one station a day, b/c I have another teacher to help with reading groups. Your plan should work though.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

We had some training in this before school started. Our trainer told us to go thru with the students what each center would look and sound like when they are there. Post these on the walls. She said to start practicing with 4 centers of blocks. Have the students play a few minutes with the blocks, clean, and then go over how they did. Then add a reading center and so on until you have phased out the block center. It should take a couple weeks to get it all going.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

I plan to introduce each station one at a time. During the first couple weeks of school, we will go to each station, talk about the materials and make an "I Can..." list together for each station. As the students get more familiar with the stations, I will add another, then maybe add another activity to the "I Can..." chart. So in other words, I will start off with about 4 stations with about 4 activities to do. Then as time goes on, we will add to the list and I will open up about 3-4 more stations. By October/November, I usually have about 7-8 stations including:
    Poetry
    Word Work
    Read Around The Room
    Write Around The Room
    Reading
    Listening
    Writing
    Computers

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 1, 2008

I also am doing the "I can" charts this year. My stations and th first activity they will learn at each station are going to be:
    Poetry (poem of the week)
    Computers (starfall.com....but my internet isn't working now!)
    Reading (partner reading)
    Writing (squiggle)
    Word Work (phonics game)

7. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Thanks for the ideas! I'm also planning to have the "I Can" posters at each station and to talk about how the stations will sound and look like. It's just hard because I was hired late (had about a week to set everything up) and since I'm a new teacher, I'm scrambling to get supplies for centers! It sounds like keeping things as simple as possible in the beginning of the year is the way to go and then add more stuff as the students become ready. Thanks for your help!

8. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

We are learning one station each week. It is the fourth week of school, so they are learning their fourth center this week. Our centers are state mandated and very specific, so it is too much for me to introduce them all at the same time.

We are not rotating yet, but I am taking back small groups. Students at their desks are working on workbook pages and the centers. Each day, I check their center work and give them feedback so they can learn to do it right. It takes extra time, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I think four centers a day is a little too much. I am doing 2 centers a day plus small group meeting.

Also- I made all my centers in Microsoft Publisher and laminated them on file folders. If anyone has this program and wants the documents, send me your e-mail in a PM. I have Read Around the Room, Word Builder, Top Ten, Story Elements, Listening Post, Writing Center, Computer Center, and Buddy Reading. Top Ten is something I was introduced to this summer and it is pretty neat!

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

lola that sounds great, I would love the documents!

can I PM you or something?

10. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Top Ten?

What is top ten? I am interested...

11. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

In Top Ten, the teacher gives the students some kind of category and the students list ten words about it. For example, you could do colors, animals, sports, etc. Many topics require the students to do a lot of thinking or research to come up with ten things. I had to start my class out with Top 5 and then work up to Top 10.

After they list the words, they put them in ABC order. After that, they draw a picture of each word, write a sentence with each word, list rhyming words, etc. Some might never get past ABC order, but your higher students might get to the point where they choose their own topic and start all over.

All of my centers are set up so that the students are never finished. There is always another step to do. This way, you won't have students sitting around doing nothing, disturbing their peers, or asking you what to do when you are working with small groups.

I now have my center file in Word and Publisher, so PM me your e-mail and which format you want if you are interested.

12. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

Please send me copies of your center documents as well. Thank you!

13. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

I can send the files to anyone who needs them but please private message your e-mail address to me and which file format you need.

14. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

A lot of people are sending me private messages to get the files but not including their e-mail addresses. I am happy to get it to everyone, but I can't do it without an e-mail.

Also, one e-mail was sent back by the server. I deleted all my private messages so I don't remember who it was supposed to go to. If you sent me your e-mail and don't have the files yet, please message me again with a working address.

15. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

Thanks for sharing your centers, lolabear1!

16. Ms.M

Ms.M New Member

Sep 25, 2008

Hi there it would be great to receive the center files.

17. loveteaching143

loveteaching143 New Member

Oct 8, 2008

These stations sound great. Would you be willing to send them to me? I am new at this so I am really not sure how to go about it. Thanks

18. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

lolabear,

I just pm'ed you my email address, but I didn't say which format I'd prefer...Publisher please. I love that program :)

Thank you!

19. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

Please explain how to pm so that I can send you one to get the files. Thanks!

20. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 27, 2008

If you click on a person's screenname, it will pull down a menu that will give you different options. From there, choose the option that says "Send PM to User" and there ya go...

21. flteacher2

flteacher2 Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

I would also like your file on literacy stations, but for some reason I can't seem to "PM" you to send my email address.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!!