Literacy night ideas for K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clynns, Sep 23, 2010.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Sep 23, 2010

Hi! My school is planning a Literacy night for our K students and parents. It can only last an hour and we'd like to have stations set up for parents/students make things that they can take home that will be helpful for them to learn to read, comprehend, etc. Does anyone know any sites or have any ideas for station for our parents/students? Thanks so much!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2010

The first link was fantastic, OceanGal, but the last one wasn't found. I have yet to click on the middle one; haha - I started with the last one; then the first.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

Really? The last one did not work? It worked for me- hmm, it is a pdf or well a google doc so maybe that is why?
    Anyhow, I just looked at that last one again and it is actually probably for older grades, but there was a couple that could be k. Google More Literacy Games and click on the first link and that is it

Reading is Fundamental also has some lesson plans and ideas that could be used for literacy night....
    http://www.rif.org/educators/lessonplans/default.mspx
    the making a movable book would be a fun one to try.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2010

I just did it again, OceanGal and it says, NOT FOUND. :(

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

So weird, but if you go on google and type More Literacy Games it will be the first link and you can click on it and get there.

There is also a website listed...
    www.nwt.literacy.ca

Here is a link to their website and their family literacy night resources... http://www.nwt.literacy.ca/fld/fl_day.htm

See if that one works! Hopefully!

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 24, 2010

We do a Kindergarten Literacy Night, but do it in December, but we call it Pajama Night and everyone (adults included) come dressed in PJ's-preferably Holiday ones. We get our PTA to give us money for each child to chose a book (inexpensive), plus make a take home pack of hot chocolate, a small pack of cookies and a candy cane. We begin by modeling how to read to your child and questions to ask-basics. We spread all the books out on tables and the child can chose a book, Mom or Dad read it, then they put it back and choose another. At the end of the evening, they choose their favorite book to take home with them. They bring blankets and pillows and stuffed toys. It is funny to see the dads in their PJ's. We tried a make and take and it is just too complicated and time consuming. We also offer the forms to obtain a public library card and ask if anyone would like to donate a pair of new children's pajamas, we donate it to our local shelter. It really is a lot of fun and not hard!!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 24, 2010

One school I was at did an all-school reading night, and had each classroom choose a different story. We dressed up like a character from the book, read the story (or a portion of it) and did activities relating to it. I wanted to maek sure something was appropriate for PreK/K, so I chose Chicka Chicka Boom boom. I wore khahki's and a greeen sweater, and one of the K teachers loaned me a jungle hat. I taped or pinned die-cut letters all over me to maek me look liek the tree.

After we read the story, I gave each child a piece of dark blue paper... I'd pre-folded and stapled a pocket on the back side. With their parents, they cut pieces of green and brown paper and glued it on the front to make their own tree.

At the end, each family got a sheet of upper case letters and a sheet of lower case letters they could cut apart and store in the pocket. I also gave them a page or half-page of literacy activities they could do with the letters (spell name or other words, find things that start/end with the sound the letter makes, look for that letter elsewhere, etc).

Even the older kids liked it ;)

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

Our school does a "Dr. Suess Night" around his birthday, and each grade level picks a different story to read and an activity to do. For K, we always read the "The Cat in the Hat". The kids get their faces painted with a nose and whiskers, and then they glue strips of construction paper (in an AB pattern) onto pre-cut hat shapes, and they get to wear them home- we usually have kids from all grade levels come to get their faces painted!