List of Words for After School Detention

Discussion in 'General Education' started by leisurej, Jan 18, 2010.

1. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Jan 18, 2010

I'm trying to put a list of words together for my kids to have to look up and copy the definitions of during After School Detention. Any suggestions...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2010

Is that the only activity you'll consider having your detention students do?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 18, 2010

Would it be more beneficial to both your and the students' time to do something math related? Like factoring, or listing prime numbers from 1 to 1000, or some other mundane math task?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2010

Well, you could do math words:
    factor, multiple, prime, composite, even, odd, positive, negative....

I've had kids multiply their phone number (wtih area code) by their zip code. The next time they come back, they have to check by division. They seldom come back.

6. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Jan 19, 2010

I was going more a long the lines of by showing the student that his free time is just as valuable os my instructional time.
    However, I do see your point, I could use this as an instructional moment. I'll have to think about it...

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2010

Please, please, please do not use writing as a punishment. Kids are already resistant to writing, and when teachers use copying definitions or "lines" as detention work, that only makes the situation worse. Have you seen copying lines in detention help Bart Simpson? He has new lines every week! :)

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

My 4th grade teacher always threatened to make us copy the definition of "run" out of the unabridged dictionary. We looked it up, saw the length, and decided none of us were ever gonig ot earn that punishment.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

I agree with Mrs. R. - please don't demonize the use of the dictionary or make kids hate writing any more than many of them already do. If yours is a math class, assign math problems to practice.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 19, 2010

I would NEVER teach during a punishment. I never speak or even give eye contact to the child. They write an apology letter to me or copy word from word from a dictionary.

11. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jan 19, 2010

I always have students clean glassware or other lab materials when they stay for detention. After a geology lab one time I had a bunch of jars that were filled with mud and made them wash it all out. Word got around to the other students and no one wanted to get stuck with the same job. Worked great, and I didn't have to do the dirty work!

12. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

This has gotten interesting. For those of you that think writing should not be used as a punishment. If so then why should they practice math as a punishment?

13. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

Do you put a length on the letter?

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that I'm in a very traditional Catholic high school. We're college prep, and by the book.

Dean's detention in my school is designed to be a waste of their precious after school time. It's not a learning experience, other than learning that the rules DO apply to each and every individual.

Our kids spend an hour copying something. Yesterday it was an article on the Stock Market Crash. ( I read it. It was actually very interesting.) I'm not sure about today's selection. They come in, sign in, and begin writing. An hour later they stop.

Yesterday, in a school of 2,550 kids, I had 27 kids in detention. (In the early years, we had close to 90 every day.)

They don't like it. That's good. They're not tempted to do something which will bring them back.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with whether or not they'll hate writing. This isn't an original essay. It doesn't require any creative juices. It's more akin to taking notes in class than to "writing" since most of the real "writing" they do is typed onto a computer.

I can see the argument with elementary aged kids. But high school kids have already pretty much decided which classes they love and which ones they don't. I don't think this has anything to do with it.

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2010

My feeling is the punishment should fit the crime. Back in the day when it was against our school rules to chew gum, repeat offenders scraped gum off of the furniture. Kids who waste my time (I sound like Mr. Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemont High) make up the time doing something for me... shelving library books, etc. The only time they do writing in detention is if they are writing a letter of apology, which, I think is different from copying from a dictionary, or finishing missing work.

16. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 20, 2010

Our students copy out the section of the student handbook that they violated. The teachers in the little grades paraphrase it for them and then they copy it and the older ones do it word for word.

Repeat offenders have to come in on a Saturday with the principal and do tasks around the school for her.