list of good and bad behaviors to be aware of

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by huckfynigyn, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

I think you've misunderstood me. I don't mean that our expectations of teachers shouldn't be high--of course they should be high. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's unrealistic to expect teachers to approach each student cold and with no point of reference.

I have more than 200 students. If I didn't have basic guidelines for appropriate behavior in my head to use as a reference, I'd be basically reinventing the proverbial wheel with each student. This is impossible with so many students. If you're able to do it, then go for it. But I think it's unfair to suggest that those who aren't able to do so are wrong or lazy for making things a little easier.

It seems that by your reasoning we should do away with grades entirely. After all, who am I to determine what amount of effort should result in an A or a B? In an ideal world, yes, we'd be able to give lengthy, narrative progress reports to parents describing, in detail, our observations as to student achievement, effort, and behavior. Unfortunately, I don't live in that world. I have paperwork up to my eyeballs and hundreds of students, most of whom are involved in gangs and can barely read. I do the best I can, as I think most of us do.

2. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Not an insignificant part of the problem.

3. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

wait a minute....sure, we have different standards of appropriate; however, There are definite cases of inappropriate in our schools today. While I agree that we need to understand each situation and each student individually, it is also important to be able to put forth expectations. That is what is okay in classrooms and what is not okay. Using this list as a list of rules, I would neither advocate. Although, all teachers have lists in their heads...Student sleeping doesn't mean bad student. It should and it does mean investigate further. While we are not here to judge the children we do offer a valuable part of the socialization process. Because later on the adult will be labeled. Sleeping on the job does mean bad worker to most people.

4. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Since the poster was asking for practical information. You get kind of busy focusing on the instruction so this way you can just check something off and write a quick note. Here is something you might be able to work with. It's for elementary, so you will need to change some things (like playing in line or using the ball wrong). It's in english and spanish. I like it better than the school form which is uninformative for the parents. How can they help us if we cannot be specific, and how can we be specific when we're so busy? The formatting changed when I pasted it here.

Student Referral

Date sent:_________ Incident date:_________
    Student:_________________________

Dear Parent or Guardian:

This note is being sent home for the following inappropriate behavior:

a.__ Talking and/or playing in desk during listening instructional time in a large group.
    b.__ Talking too much about things other than the assignment during our quiet work time at our desks and/or in small groups, and not working on the assignment.
    c.__ Breaking a playground safety rule: chasing/tagging others, improper use of playground equipment, throwing ___________,
    not stopping play at freeze bell, hitting others or aggressive behavior or ___________________________.
    d.__ Not walking in line safely: hands on others, bumping/shoving, pushing/pulling, yelling.
    e.__ Inappropriate language:_____________________________.
    f.__ Not following directions/class rules: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    g.__ Other: _______________________________________________.

ACTION TAKEN AT SCHOOL: ___________________________________
    ____________________________________________________________________________.

Please discuss this with your child. It did present a problem and caused your child to miss valuable instructional learning time.
    Thank you,
    Your name
    Parent/Guardian Signature:_______________________________
    Please write your comments here:___________________________________
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Please sign and return this note to school tomorrow with your child. If you have any questions, please leave a message at (), and I will return your call. Failure to return note: Lose recess.

Referido de Estudiante

Fecha:___________ Fecha del incidente:__________
    Estudiante:_____________________________

Apreciado padre o guardian:

Esta nota es enviada a su hogar por el siguiente comportamiento inapropiado:

a.__ Conversando y/o jugando en su pupitre durante las intrucciones al grupo.
    b.__ Conversando demasiado sobre temas fuera de la tarea durante el tiempo de trabajo en silencio en sus pupitres/o pequenos grupos y no estar trabajando en su tarea.
    c.__ Violando normas de seguridad del lugar de recreacion: persiguiendo/tocando otros ninos, usando inapropiadamente el equipo del lugar de recreacion, lanza ___________, no parar de jugar al escuchar la campana, pegando o comportandose agresivo o _____________________________________.
    d.__ No caminar en linea seguramente: poniendo las manos sobre otros, empujando bruscamente, jalando, gritando, etc.
    e.__ Usando lenguaje inapropiado:_____________________________.
    f.__ No seguir direcciones y las normas del salon:_____________________
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________.
    g.__ Otros:______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

ACCION TOMADA EN LA ESCUELA:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    Favor de discutir esta situacion con su nino(a). Esto puede presentar un problema y puede causar la perdida de tiempo en la ensenanza y aprendizaje de su nino(a).

Muchas gracias,
    Your name

Firma del Padre o guardian:_______________________________
    Por favor escriba sus comentarios aqui:_________________________________
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    Favor de firmar y devolver esta nota a la escuela manana con su nino(a). Si tiene alguna pregunta, puede llamar y dejar mensaje al tel. (), yo le devolvere la llamada tan pronto pueda. Si no devuelve esta nota el estudiante perdera su receso.

Anyway, I hope it gives you a starting point.

5. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

en espanol tambien...:)

6. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Si, para mis padres.

7. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

This is an idea I can support (see Eduk8r's response above). ...objective...reasonably open ended...plenty of room to specify the child and the behavior....an invitation for parents to participate...personally, I might add a space for the child to comment (particularly as the developmental level increases).

Then there has to be follow up by the teacher. This way the event can be processed and used as a growth experience for the student.

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Well, in a real classroom, especially for those teachers who have 200+ students, the reality is you have to pick and choose your battles. And the form is specific so it is an "invitation for parents to participate." The child is actively involved in the process--from the behavior to the time you discuss the referral with them and when the parents discuss the referral with them. And what I like is, it's practical, something this teacher can tailor, not just theory.

9. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

My parents so far have very much appreciated it. It doesn't usually get so far as to require this form, but when it does my parents find it helpful. If I were to describe their behavior as nonspecific-- "inappropriate or disruptive"-- it would be difficult for them to address. Teachers are busy with everything that goes on in the classroom and don't have the luxury of taking precious time out to write anecdotes on every single behavior. Parents appreciate knowing what specific behaviors they should address.

10. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Do you send these through the mail? Yeah calling parents is hard to do.

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

Helicopter moms: the moms who "hover" all year

Carbon copy paper is the stuff that has that black carbon sheet in the middle of the stack. Carbonless copy paper works the same way (with your writing pressing through onto the second page) but without the black carbon sheet. It's just the original page and one or more copies behind it. We use it for everything at my school.

I send the original home to parents through the mail, and I keep the copy for my records.

13. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2007

synapse, I did not mean to sound curt, I was just explaining. I responded to this thread because the poster was asking for help. And teaching is overwhelming much of the time, so when someone asks for help to me it means they're trying and they need support. Teachers are just people, too. I feel overwhelmed most of the time and I don't know what I would do without my BTSA and my VP who are so supportive of me. They always give me practical suggestions and ideas that really help me. I was just passing it on.

14. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

No offense taken...in my opinion, your response was extremely helpful. I think my original point got lost in the conversation. It was simply that when creating or working from a list of appropriate/non-appropriate behaviors, we frequently overlook the individual and the nuances of the situation. Your form, while providing some of the structure that I think the OP was looking for, remains open ended enough to allow one to address individuals.

15. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2007

Thank you. You are right that if we were holding such lists in our heads it could interfere with our relationships with our students. It was quite extensive, and my personal preference is to hold a list of positive behaviors instead. Negativity is so limiting. I just didn't get that impression from the poster, what I saw was that they were trying to prepare themselves because they knew that they'd be really busy with 100's of students.