list of good and bad behaviors to be aware of

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by huckfynigyn, Jul 3, 2007.

1. huckfynigyn

huckfynigyn Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I will be teaching 7th and 8th grade science and math in the fall. I was hoping to make a long list of good and bad behaviors to watch for.

The generated list will be useful in keeping records of the students and when it comes time to conferences I will have everything documented and able to talk about these behaviors.

Can anyone help me generate a list such as this. I was hoping to get about 25 for each.

distracting classroom behaviors
    1. visiting with friends
    2. interrupting
    3. throwing things
    4. teasing

oppositional behaviors
    1. refusing to stay in seats
    2. vulgar language
    3. harrassment

Good behaviors would be-
    1. staying on task
    2. raising hand to answer question
    3. kind to other students

Thanks for your help:angel:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

Inappropriate behaviors:
    Profanity/swearing
    Vandalism
    Theft
    Arson
    Assault
    Refusal to sit in assigned seat
    Chewing gum
    Eating/drinking
    Sleeping
    Excessive talking
    Disruptive talking
    Making threats
    Truancy
    Excessive tardiness
    Unexcused absences
    Cell phone activation
    Inappropriate dress
    Possession of nuisance/banned items (iPods, lighters, laser pointers, etc.)
    Belligerence
    Insubordination
    Making inappropriate noises
    Laughing at inappropriate times
    Being unprepared for class (not having pencil, paper, etc.)

4. huckfynigyn

huckfynigyn Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

wow, thanks Cassie for adding to my list

5. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

A Substitute Teacher's Perspective

Good behaviors:
    Asking (appropriate) questions
    Keeping personal and shared materials organized
    :) Offering help to substitute teachers (finding things, operating equipment):)
    Eye contact is always nice -- not sure if it's helpful to discuss at conferences?

6. huckfynigyn

huckfynigyn Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Thanks, those are some good suggestions that I have not thought of!

7. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

Cassie, how the heck did you remember all those? I don't think you left anything off the list

8. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

and inappropriate touch...not always assualt

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

I actually have a carbon copy-type letter I send home to parents whenever kids engage in inappropriate behaviors beyond my first warning and student/teacher conference. It says something like, "Dear Parent, Recently your child has begun to exhibit inappropriate behaviors in the classroom. These behaviors are detrimental to the..." Then there's a two-column list of behaviors and I just check off the one(s) the kid is doing.

I like the carbonless copy because it's my record of parent contact. I like the letter format (rather than a phone call) because I find that I am unable to get ahold of parents by phone more than 75% of the time--not home, no voicemail, wrong number.

10. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Just a hunch, but not getting a hold of parent more than 75% of the time-- are you teaching in an urban or low SES area ;) I need to make carbon copy like notes for my students--

more good behaviors:
    under being kind to others-- could you be more descriptive as to what kind means, i.e.
    giving others appropriate compliments
    avoiding arguments with others to accomplish tasks?
    Using manners, please, thank you, excuse me, sorry
    Taking responsibilty for incorrect behavior or "violations" by following through with consequences.
    When working as a team, giving everyone a fair share or turn.
    Acknowledging the success of others in the class, and acknowleding personal success.

I guess the difference between good and bad behavior is just a matter of wording sometimes.

11. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I am not a real fan of such lists. Teaching and learning are highly inter and intra-personal. We are talking human beings here. Behind each behavior is a reason for the behavior. We can't simply say "that's appropriate" or that is "not appropriate." We need to understand the whole person and the whole event. For starters, my definition of "appropriate" may not come close to yours and vice versa.

Another thought: several items listed above are typical developmental behaviors for the level of students you are working with. So, one challenge facing us in a classroom is figuring out how to allow developmentally normal behaviors to occur without causing a disruption to the teaching and learning.

Of course, we are all going to identify behaviors that keep our classrooms and schools safe and organized. So rather that trying to create an all encompassing list one might be better served by deciding how they want thier own class to operate and then identify 3 or 4 behaviors/expectations that make sense.

12. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

i.e. Do you mean decide if you want the class to operate as a community of learners or individual learners? So you want them to be successful students at school or do you want them to be successful people everywhere they go?

I haven't had to post rules in my classroom for the past 7 years, well not for my students anyway, the adults now, I had to remind them of rules often. ;)

13. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I believe it is our responsibility to help our students develop into successful people. It can't be just about our classrooms.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

Yes, I teach in an urban, low-SES school. I knew certain things were going to be hard, but I was completely unprepared for the TOTAL lack of parental support around here. Except for the helicopter moms. I guess it's just going to be one extreme or the other.

Our school provides the carbonless copy sheets for a variety of documents, both the official ones (like denials of credit for too many absences) and the more informal ones (like here's letting you know that your kid is screwing around and it needs to stop).

If you can't afford or don't want to get the carbonless copy paper, you can print all your documents twice. Just remember than any time a kid signs one sheet, he or she should sign the other. Then when you get the original back with a parent signature, you can recycle the other copy.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

I hear where you're coming from, but I'll have to respectfully disagree here. I think your position is kind of lofty and somewhat unattainable.

Yes, it would be nice if everyone in the class adhered to 3 or 4 general guidelines like "Be respectful" and "Follow directions" (of course after defining as a class what those terms mean). But the fact is that many students will not adhere to those guidelines. And a big part of our job as teachers is to document behaviors. It's not good enough to say that the student failed to meet classroom goals--we need to be specific in our observations. If my student is inappropriately touching peers, that's what my records need to say.

You said, "Behind each behavior is a reason for the behavior." This is absolutely true, but it still doesn't mean that a behavior is therefore appropriate or that it should not be documented. As far as I'm concerned, inappropriate is inappropriate. A student might be sleeping because his parents had a big, screaming fight the night before. While I'm probably not going to issue a detention or something for the behavior, I still need to document it.

It's my understanding that the OP wants to use this list as a means of easing her documentation woes. She's not making an exhaustive list of classroom rules or guidelines. I see no problem with her keeping a list like this and using it as a reference.

16. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I see no problem with her keeping a list like this and using it as a reference.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the LIST then begins to guide ones interpretation of children and their behaviors. Rather than trying to uderstand kids, our role in their behavior, the environment...etc., we focus on single words or descriptors from a compiled list of supposed inappropriate/appropriate behavior.

Having high expectations does not necessarily mean all of those expectations are attained, but why shouldn't we have rather "lofty" expectations of teachers?

The OP stated he/she wanted a list of behaviors "to watch for." My point was certainly not that 3 or 4 expectations are sufficient to manage a classroom, rather that attempting to create a difinitive list of "appropriate" and "inappropriate" behaviors could ultimately do a disservice to the student-teacher relationship.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

I think you've misunderstood me. I don't mean that our expectations of teachers shouldn't be high--of course they should be high. Rather, I'm suggesting that it's unrealistic to expect teachers to approach each student cold and with no point of reference.

I have more than 200 students. If I didn't have basic guidelines for appropriate behavior in my head to use as a reference, I'd be basically reinventing the proverbial wheel with each student. This is impossible with so many students. If you're able to do it, then go for it. But I think it's unfair to suggest that those who aren't able to do so are wrong or lazy for making things a little easier.

It seems that by your reasoning we should do away with grades entirely. After all, who am I to determine what amount of effort should result in an A or a B? In an ideal world, yes, we'd be able to give lengthy, narrative progress reports to parents describing, in detail, our observations as to student achievement, effort, and behavior. Unfortunately, I don't live in that world. I have paperwork up to my eyeballs and hundreds of students, most of whom are involved in gangs and can barely read. I do the best I can, as I think most of us do.

18. synapse

synapse Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Not an insignificant part of the problem.

19. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

wait a minute....sure, we have different standards of appropriate; however, There are definite cases of inappropriate in our schools today. While I agree that we need to understand each situation and each student individually, it is also important to be able to put forth expectations. That is what is okay in classrooms and what is not okay. Using this list as a list of rules, I would neither advocate. Although, all teachers have lists in their heads...Student sleeping doesn't mean bad student. It should and it does mean investigate further. While we are not here to judge the children we do offer a valuable part of the socialization process. Because later on the adult will be labeled. Sleeping on the job does mean bad worker to most people.

20. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Since the poster was asking for practical information. You get kind of busy focusing on the instruction so this way you can just check something off and write a quick note. Here is something you might be able to work with. It's for elementary, so you will need to change some things (like playing in line or using the ball wrong). It's in english and spanish. I like it better than the school form which is uninformative for the parents. How can they help us if we cannot be specific, and how can we be specific when we're so busy? The formatting changed when I pasted it here.

Student Referral

Date sent:_________ Incident date:_________
    Student:_________________________

Dear Parent or Guardian:

This note is being sent home for the following inappropriate behavior:

a.__ Talking and/or playing in desk during listening instructional time in a large group.
    b.__ Talking too much about things other than the assignment during our quiet work time at our desks and/or in small groups, and not working on the assignment.
    c.__ Breaking a playground safety rule: chasing/tagging others, improper use of playground equipment, throwing ___________,
    not stopping play at freeze bell, hitting others or aggressive behavior or ___________________________.
    d.__ Not walking in line safely: hands on others, bumping/shoving, pushing/pulling, yelling.
    e.__ Inappropriate language:_____________________________.
    f.__ Not following directions/class rules: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    g.__ Other: _______________________________________________.

ACTION TAKEN AT SCHOOL: ___________________________________
    ____________________________________________________________________________.

Please discuss this with your child. It did present a problem and caused your child to miss valuable instructional learning time.
    Thank you,
    Your name
    Parent/Guardian Signature:_______________________________
    Please write your comments here:___________________________________
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Please sign and return this note to school tomorrow with your child. If you have any questions, please leave a message at (), and I will return your call. Failure to return note: Lose recess.

Referido de Estudiante

Fecha:___________ Fecha del incidente:__________
    Estudiante:_____________________________

Apreciado padre o guardian:

Esta nota es enviada a su hogar por el siguiente comportamiento inapropiado:

a.__ Conversando y/o jugando en su pupitre durante las intrucciones al grupo.
    b.__ Conversando demasiado sobre temas fuera de la tarea durante el tiempo de trabajo en silencio en sus pupitres/o pequenos grupos y no estar trabajando en su tarea.
    c.__ Violando normas de seguridad del lugar de recreacion: persiguiendo/tocando otros ninos, usando inapropiadamente el equipo del lugar de recreacion, lanza ___________, no parar de jugar al escuchar la campana, pegando o comportandose agresivo o _____________________________________.
    d.__ No caminar en linea seguramente: poniendo las manos sobre otros, empujando bruscamente, jalando, gritando, etc.
    e.__ Usando lenguaje inapropiado:_____________________________.
    f.__ No seguir direcciones y las normas del salon:_____________________
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________.
    g.__ Otros:______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

ACCION TOMADA EN LA ESCUELA:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    Favor de discutir esta situacion con su nino(a). Esto puede presentar un problema y puede causar la perdida de tiempo en la ensenanza y aprendizaje de su nino(a).

Muchas gracias,
    Your name

Firma del Padre o guardian:_______________________________
    Por favor escriba sus comentarios aqui:_________________________________
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
    Favor de firmar y devolver esta nota a la escuela manana con su nino(a). Si tiene alguna pregunta, puede llamar y dejar mensaje al tel. (), yo le devolvere la llamada tan pronto pueda. Si no devuelve esta nota el estudiante perdera su receso.

Anyway, I hope it gives you a starting point.

21. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

en espanol tambien...:)