Life skills teachers, I have a question

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Aug 20, 2009.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 20, 2009

What does your back to school parent letter look like? I am having a hard time coming up with my letter. Probably because I have 9 million other things floating around in my head!! What should I say? Do you have examples? Thanks so much!

3. spedder

spedder New Member

Aug 21, 2009

When i taught life skills I just wrote a letter saying who i was, and how I was looking forward to this year. Then I gave examples of what we would be doing in the classroom...ie - money management, reading skills, functional skills and community experiences.

THen i gave my name, email and good contact times

4. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I don't have mine anymore, but was just like what spedder did.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 21, 2009

August 21, 2009

Greetings from Mrs. Zoom's
    Life Skills Classroom (room 122)!

It is truly my pleasure to be working at XXXXXXX Middle School with your child this year. My name is Mrs. Zoom and this is my first year at XXXXXXX. (I taught the same type of class at XXXX last year.) My ten-year old son has moderate mental retardation, is non-verbal, and is also a life skills student. So you might say I’ve got some life experience under my belt. I know what it’s like to attend an IEP meeting and be on the receiving end which can be pretty scary sometimes! My classroom aide is Miss XXXXX. She too has a lot of experience with life skills students and is extremely patient and kind.

This spiral notebook will be our primary means of communication this year. [I always put this letter in their parent/teacher spiral to send it home, so that's what I'm referring to here.] At the end of each school day, I will jot down a note of how your child did and make comments as needed. Please feel free to add comments. When your student comes to school, he should bring this spiral with him so it can be updated. This is one of the things your child will be responsible for – and responsibility is a very important life skill that I will stress throughout the school year, so I thank you in advance for your help with this.

The focus this first week is for the students to get to know one another and learn what is expected of them – within the classroom and at XXXXXXX. I will also be discovering their likes, dislikes, and current academic and life skills so I can build on those. August 31st we will start hitting the subject areas which include daily planning, language arts, math, health, social skills, cooking, housekeeping, and community/vocational skills. I also plan to take the students on monthly field trips throughout the city and will provide more information on those trips as soon as I can so that I may obtain your permission.

I hope you will be able to come out to meet me and see your child’s classroom at our Open House which takes place the first day of school at 5:30PM. If you visit the classroom and get my signature, you and your family will receive free hotdog dinners in the cafeteria!

At any time if you have any concerns – please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at (email address) or at the school; (phone number). Both Miss XXXXX and myself are sincerely looking forward to a great year with your child!

Mrs. Zoom

6. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 22, 2009

Thanks Zoom!!

7. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 22, 2009

Zoom, I love that letter!

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

You're welcome, sammy. :) And thanks teach! Below the sig on the bottom, I have a pic of me and my son so they know what I look like. I don't even know if my parents are reading this letter. But if at least one reads it and gets something from it - I'm happy.

9. tigerlily

tigerlily Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I really like your letter Zoom. I send a basic letter to my students before the school year starts. They can't read it but I ask their parents to read it to them. It just welcomes them to the school year, tells them that I am excited to meet them or see them again (I have them for a few years) and gives them a few ideas of things we will be doing during the school year. I inlcude a brief intro. for the new parents and a supply list.
    I also send home a monthly newsletter, that gives community outing/field trip and important dates. Any birthdays we will celebrate in the coming month. Days we don't have school and why. Also I write a little letter about the successes from the past month and the plans for the upcoming month. A few times a year I attach a fun recipe that we made or a page of pictures from the class events. (included with parent permission, of course)

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

I like the idea of a welcome letter to the student and having their parent read it to them. I'll do that next year - good idea! :thumb:

I also did monthly newsletters last year but I think I made them much too complicated - they were a lot of work. I think I'll just make a one-sheet newsletter with upcoming units, classroom pictures, and school calendar/days off. Why make it so hard on ourselves, right?