Life Skills Schedule - Only One Student

Discussion in 'Special Interests' started by gdmckav, Mar 16, 2017.

1. gdmckav

gdmckav Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

Hello. I am a first-year Special Education teacher (nine years of teacher total) who has a very challenging student. He really needs a Life Skills track for the entire day, but due to staffing, master schedule, and current resources, it is not possible for the remainder of this year. Hopefully, this will work for next year.

I am looking for ideas about how to make the rest of this school year work. How do I implement Life Skills into his IEP without being able to give him a Life Skills class schedule until next year?

Ideally, it would be fantastic to offer set lessons in each of regular-scheduled classes (Special Education-Subject area) and just have him do separate lessons each period. But, the struggle is to do this without other kids feel slighted and detracting attention away from them.

3. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2017

I was in this situation last year. I told his parents, privately, that I was unable to meet his needs due to the schedule I was assigned and that no other teachers were able to meet his needs. They brought in their advocate and fought for him to get what he needed. Now, the district is paying to send him to a fancy private school where his needs are being met.

My advice is: Don't try to do things that you cannot realistically do. Be vocal about your limits and your students' needs. You'll get frustrated in the process, and people will get tired of hearing you be the squeaky wheel. But it's the only way to get the grease.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 20, 2017

Are his goals life skills based? Can you take the time to do a life skills period with the student once a day while your TAs take over the rest of the class for that period?