Letters and sounds in first grade

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

How long do you spend on teaching letters and sounds whole group in first grade? All of my kids (except maybe for two) have come from a full day kindergarten. I don't know my kids well enough yet to judge how much they know, as school just started on Monday. During guided writing activities last week I did noticed that all of them have a pretty good concept of letter sounds. A handful of them though are having difficulty stretching out words and writing the sounds they hear, and the concept of putting the sounds together to make words. We have a phonics program which spends 2-3 weeks introducing two or three letters at a time. But in a week, we start our spelling program with starts out with spelling patterns (at/an word families). I plan on doing an alphabet chant every morning, until the kids don't need it anymore. But do you think I should spend two-three weeks introducing letters only two at a time? What do you do in your classroom?

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007

I do 2 sounds a week and do whole group ponics work 4x a week
    (the other day that time is used to teach high freq. words, whole group). I also reinforce the sounds during my centers and small group work. Our program (a basal) doe a lot of spiral and building so sounds are revisited quite often.
    As far as letters, most of my kids know them coming from K. I may do a few days on whole group review of the letters, but most of them do not need it.

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

In our HM curriculum, we spend the first couple of weeks ( I think it's 3) reviewing letters and sounds. Then, we start with the vowels. If needed, you could always just have small groups for those who are still having difficulty.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

Okay, I think I'll follow the program and do the 2-3 sounds a day. Our spelling starts next week. So we'll just do word families, and continue to review letter sounds, I guess.