Letter Tracing

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovemyson, Oct 11, 2008.

1. lovemyson

lovemyson Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

At what age should children start tracing letters? prek4 or kindergarten? when is it age appropriate to start? Thanks. :)

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 11, 2008

I think it's never too early to start. I have my 3s trace their name on their papers every time (although maybe "trace" would be a better way of writing it). I write it with a highlighter and have them trace inside/over it. To me, it is all about getting their hands gripping their utensils correctly & practicing those small movements. Even their little chicken scratches over the letters are a start in the right direction, IMO. I think it is completely appropriate for 4s...in fact, if they get to kindergarten and don't understand the concept of tracing (you would be surprised!), it usually sets them up for a tough time!

4. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

I agree, some 3's will be interested. You might even get some 2's who are interested. :)

5. shaggymo

shaggymo Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

Definitely think 4 is appropriate. Penn State Cutie's ideas are great. I also have my kids sign their names when they come in the door; I typed their names and laminated the page, so they can use a dry erase marker and we can wipe it clean at the end of every day.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

My 3s are tracing the letters--- some of them do well with jsut dots to trace and others need to have me do it with highlighter. We will start doing their names next month. The two year old toddler teacher is having her kids do some "tracing" of lines and shpes etc jsut o give them exposure to the concept--

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 11, 2008

I would think 4 is a fine age. I have some 3's doing it. I know it would be great if they go into K knowing how to write their names since they are required to do so much more now-a-days in K.

8. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

I teach 4's turning 5. I use the website handwritingworksheets.com to make dotted letter name pages. The kids who colored in all the lines six weeks ago are now tracing or writing all or part of their names independently. There's something personal about writing your own name (even my little Vietnamese child who has NO fine motor skills yet or English, spells his 4 letter name to me.:wub:)

We write names on the backs of ALL papers (art too), otherwise, "I just don't know who these wonderful papers belong to". I learn very quick whose "A" or "D" scribble belongs to. I have one child who has a very long name. He is learning to independently write one letter at a time. We are up to the 4th letter now.:wub:

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 11, 2008

My children know how to operate a tracing situation, but we don't trace as a general rule. Their writing development is tracked, supplemented and encouraged-but we allow it to grow naturally or organically. So when we work on something, I ask them to put their names on it "in case it gets lost" but there isn't usually a big deal made of it. As they grow older and older they don't change classes here. As they near K, I give them more worksheet exposure (still not everyday) and their letters begin to naturally drop to the lines. When they do, we work on detailing the letters (monkey tails, heights and so on) then we move on to last names. Children from our group enter kinder able to write their first middle and last names. Along with the ability to make a journal entry and free writing book. They are very ready, but tracing and worksheets happen sparingly.

10. lovemyson

lovemyson Rookie

Oct 12, 2008

Hi. I know they should be tracing and writing their names by the time they get into kindergarten. But should they be tracing the letters we are learning as well? As of right now we don´t trace the letters. They do that in kindergarten. We learn the letters but not trace them. Any opinions/input?

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

we trace the letters as we learn them

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 12, 2008

Are they writing them anywhere? I think a larger issue is that they have moved thier own bodies to create the letters. There are many ways to do this, line up crackers at snack, hop in jump ropes and outside time, glue leaves to letter shapes of glue and so on. Then many classes are having the children work in journals and in booklets to help them own writing. If you are doing these and not tracing that is different than not doing either. See? Some people here really like tracing worksheets-and even my children see them, and the frequency increases near kinder. So, tell me about what you are doing in your letter developing avenue?

13. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 12, 2008

I agree w/ Wa - the bigger idea is that they are knowing and recognizing the letters and practicing the skills needed for tracing (fine motor practice of some kind, not necessarily tracing letters). Exposure to both is key :)

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

I teach public school 4 year olds, we allow tracing of names for the first 2-3 weeks of school only and then that's it. We find that they start to depend on the tracing and when asked to "write their names" w/out tracing they can't do it. If we take the tracing away then they begin to write naturally. We also have a writing center and writing workshop so they are writing authentically from the beginning. So, in answer to your question about when should they trace I'm not really sure ... I think it's much more important that they write authentically and as often as possible. Our kindergarteners don't trace either.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 12, 2008

I think tracing is more like pennmanship-but what I want the children to be able to do is use the letters to express themselves honestly. That isn't from tracing.

16. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Oct 12, 2008

I occasionally have my 3s trace but not very often. I agree with vanna and waprovider. I am always asking them to write their name on something. I quickly learn whose "name" is whose. If I have reluctant child I will sometimes write with a highlighter first but I try not to.