Letter Reversals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pateacher, Sep 12, 2005.

1. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2005

Hey everybody!! I am teaching third grade for the first time and I have a couple of kids who keep reversing their bs and ds or their numbers. I just wanted to know if this is normal for third grade. I know it is normal for younger grades, but I never heard of this in third grade.

3. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 12, 2005

Last year I had a few kids who did that. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but it seemed like most of them finally got the letters figured out by the end of the year.

I have a few kids this year that have the same problem. One of my major ones is in spec. ed. I got a letter/number chart things for his desk (about 4" x 5") and it seems to be helping...sometimes I just have to remind him to check his writing with his chart.

I have heard that some teachers have explained the b's and the d's using the word bed. I'm not sure exactly how the saying goes, but I think the left part of the b and the right line in the d are the posts of the bed?? Or something like that. ;) Somebody out there might remember the saying better than I do.

4. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Sep 12, 2005

reversal tricks

I teach 3rd grade as well and have trouble at the beginning of the year but they seem to get it by January. The trick I use is I draw a picture of a baseball bat, and then a ball. You need a bat then the ball put them together and you get a shape like a b. I work with that for a while then after a month i show them the trick for d. Draw a drum then a drum stick. You need a drum first then a drum stick to form a d.
    Hope that helps! :D

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2005

You'll get a few in 3rd. Once you start cursive it clears up- I haven't seen anyone write backwards cursive yet!! :)

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 12, 2005

Haha! I think I would be very impressed with backward cursive!! :p

7. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 12, 2005

For b I use the phrase pull your pencil down, make a belly in the grass and stop. Goofy but it works!

8. HeatherH

HeatherH New Member

Sep 13, 2005

I have a 3rd grade son who STILL reverses his letters. His cursive is beautiful, and all the right way, I might add. I think for him it has to do with immaturity. He is very small for his age. Hopefully it will all come around by the 2nd semester.

9. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

6 Doesn't Mix

One of the best techniques I've found for correcting digit reversals was in an article in Academic Therapy.
    I got written premission form the publishers to use it in my k-3 book, Little Lemon, and on my website. Pictures are involved so I can't explain it well here. Take a look at 6 Doesn't Mix, Self-correction of Digit Reversals .

There are a several things on my site about letter reversals also.

Betsy
    Learning Abilities Books

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013