Letter of Recommendation/Reference from Principal

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by literarynerd, Mar 22, 2018.

1. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Mar 22, 2018

I'm currently looking for a new job. I've resigned from my current one to avoid non-renewal. My supervisor is writing me a letter of recommendation and I know it's going to be really good because she's worked with me a lot over the past year. She's even said she could make a few phone calls to many districts in the state and could get me a job easily.

Is it okay if I don't get a recommendation letter from my principal? She's barely seen me teach and when she did once, it wasn't my finest moment (hence non-renewal). Is it absolutely crucial to have one from her? Ever since I resigned, she's been acting different toward me.

My other two recommendations are from last year so they're dated fairly recently.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 23, 2018

In the beginning part of your post, your supervisor is an assistant principal?
    I am in a similar position as you. My principal has never stepped foot in my classroom. I have never had a conversation with him actually.
    I would not put him as a reference.
    The assistant principal which does my observation told me to go ahead and put him down as a reference. I have no idea if I will be renewed or not.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

You're being non renewed based on ONE observation? In which case I wouldn't list that administrator as a reference.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 24, 2018

Being just a second year teacher, so I am just curious. Is my non-existent relationship with my principal the norm? It is a huge school.

6. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 24, 2018

So she's worked with you a lot over the past couple of years, but hasn't really bothered to watch you teach? What was she doing?

Ugh. It's nice she's writing you a letter of recommendation, and that might be nice to have just to fluff up your resume, but it makes me curious as to what was going on at your school.

On a side note... is it still a thing in teaching to include letters of recommendation from the get-go, or is that something you provide upon request these days?

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 25, 2018

The last time I was applying, I didn't have a letter of rec from my then current principal. I had letters from previous admin along with a teammate and an instructional coach. Even though I didn't list my P as an official reference, no school around here will hire you without talking to your current P first. Believe me, I tried all sorts of ways to get around it! I didn't have any problems getting interviews with no letter from the P but every school did insist that they needed to talk to her prior to hiring me.

I think this is regional, so it may be different in your area, but I think it's worth trying to get your P on your side for when other schools call. Try asking what you can do prior to the end of the year to earn a good reference from her. I definitely wouldn't wait for a letter to start applying, but it doesn't hurt to see what you can do to increase your chances of a positive reference from her.

I do think it's odd but that may just be how things work in your school (the P lets the AP handle things). As long as the P seems to treat other teachers similarly, I wouldn't worry about it. If the P seems buddy-buddy with everyone except for you, then I'd be concerned.

I assumed the OP meant the "supervisor" is a different person than the P (possibly an AP or something?)

In my area 3 letters of rec are required to apply for jobs. It seems silly because everyone definitely still does reference calls and it feels like the letters aren't even getting read...but who knows. Why bother requiring a letter if you're just going to call anyway? I've been on the interview committee in two of the schools I've worked in and we never read the letters of rec as part of our process, even though the district requires them. We rely on information from the actual reference calls.

8. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Mar 31, 2018

Just to clarify...my supervisor is the special education coordinator. She fulfills the administrator role when the principal and assistant principal are out of the building.

The principal has been really awkward lately, like she's taking things personally. I'm one of 4 new teachers being non-renewed and the other teachers have said she's acting the same way toward them. When I found out how many people are non-renewed and resigning, it was quite shocking.

This school is only 4 years old and there's been a lot of turnover over that short time. I'm starting to think it's a good thing that I'm leaving.

Backroads likes this.