Let's try that again

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 17, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 17, 2017

I have a problem that I've never really had to this degree before.

One of the major "best practices" in classroom management seems to be backfiring on me. When it comes to teaching behavior and procedures, I believe that practice is the way to go. I do it with a positive attitude, but after discussing and modeling expectations, if my class lines up super noisily or inappropriately, I ask them to go back to their seats to try again.

I have never had a group get so irritated with being asked to do it again or practice doing something the right way. I'm not over practicing - we might do it once or twice and then I'll say, that was an improvement, we'll keep working on it tomorrow. It's just been making the classroom environment really negative any time I ask them to try to do a procedure better. But I don't want them thinking it's okay to do everything super noisily (lining up, taking out notebooks, turning in papers, etc.)

Does anyone have tips? I have a few classroom management strategies going on right now as far as rewards, so I'm hesitant to add another one (like a marble in a jar) because I don't want to complicate it more. Plus, I'm just kind of confused about why this is such a big issue for them. I've tried timing them to make it more fun, and that helps them do it faster, but doesn't help with noise much. I should also say that about 66% is fine with practice and 33% gets really grumpy about it.

Another poster in another thread said that, if a class was being noisy, it would be best to just do procedures, procedures, procedures all day. I cannot think of something that this group would hate more, and on top of that I can't imagine them listening to me at all after a certain point.

Help!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2017

What is the age group? And if the majority of the class is fine, then the group that isn't NEEDS to practice whether they like it or not. It's not their classroom to run and you can't let things go because you don't want to make them unhappy or whatever. You simply tell them "fine, if you can't do it on my time, we'll do it on YOUR time" and be very serious about it. If it means that a group is late to -- or misses-- recess or specials (whatever) then so be it. I would also talk about the importance of why things need to be done in a certain way (because if you don't, they just see it as a teacher telling them what to do,) and definitely praise those kids who are doing things right. But then again you also have to pick your battles and praise the growth... they won't always be super quiet and disciplined doing things... but if you keep on them and remain consistent, they will.
    I did this in my classroom and every time I sub teach. I go in there and tell them exactly how it's going to be for the day.
    :)

Mshope2012 likes this.
  4. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 17, 2017

This might be sad because I teach middle school but I make a lot of things a game. I might say, "I am looking for the quietest kid in the line!" Oddly, although there is no prize, they want to get picked. I also might make it a bit of a challenge to get to one location or another without talking. We are allowed to signal each other, but can't talk.

I do like taking up their time. In ms I can't really do that, so I try to make learning procedures a bit more engaging. Also, if we did something messy and they all need to clean, I might have a "secret scrap" that they have to find. It's weird but it works like a charm. I have all kinds of kind of goofy games that we do to lighten our boring curriculum!

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2017

So if it's MS is it a certain class? Because you teach multiple classes, right? If it's just one class -- and certain students-- then have them practice while the other students sit by and watch. I've done this before too. They have to KNOW that if they don't do things the way you want them done, they will do them again until they get them right. It will be hard, but just stay on them, keep up with the praise, and really focus on identifying who is doing things correctly because the WORST thing you could do would be to punish them all for the actions of a few... then you'll have some serious problems.
    I just remember it's never ALL the kids. You could also buddy / partner them up where partner A does something and then B does something and then they can critique each other. If they're middle schoolers, they care a lot more about their peer feedback than yours anyway, so use it to your advantage.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 17, 2017

Upper elementary.

Thank you! That tough teacher approach is going to happen today (it has been, but today I'm going to start fresh), along with extra focus on praise for those doing well.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 17, 2017

I also have multiple classes. That makes it harder to hold them aside for practice due to time restraints, but so far it's worked okay. I think I also might implement some kind of fun Friday, so that kids who are doing well have some kind of reward while I practice with the others.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 17, 2017

Okay, update: I kind of pumped up everything today, especially praise, and they did much better. We'll keep working on it. I got them excited about timing them for a certain routine, they beat their record, and I think that having a "win" helped them buy into the other procedures more.

I don't normally give effusive praise for stuff they should be doing anyway, like staying seated, but with this group is seems to work especially well.

Mshope2012 and Leaborb192 like this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2017

Yup. It's all about consistency. And I gave this advice last year to my friend when she kept having problem with her kids, but refusing my suggestions. I said it's not about what YOU want, it's about what works best for the kids!
    :)

otterpop likes this.