Let's talk school shootings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Belch

Belch Companion

Jan 28, 2018

Well okay, but my question has to do with what we are paid to do. If it's not figuring out psychological conditions, then that's one thing off the list. I assume we can also cross out doing backflips every time a student answers a question correctly.

A guy hired to sell sausages has a responsibility to sell sausages, or he gets canned.

What is our responsibility as teachers? You can cross out selling sausages, doing back flips, and making pancakes, but at some point, there has to be a responsibility somewhere down the line, but I'm not sure what that is in America.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

I’m willing to make pancakes

anon55 likes this.
  3. Belch

Belch Companion

Jan 28, 2018

That certainly would be easier than trying to figure out why some students are climbing the walls while others are afraid to make eye contact and seemingly have no friends.

I'm not trying to be hard, but I do think we have a responsibility to understand psychology so we can understand why students behave the way they do.

That's what I've personally been working on for about five years now, and I admit it's slow going, and even slower knowing that there's very little I can do about it, except to empathize with the student's situation.

Damnit Jim, I'm a teacher, not a psychologist!

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2018

I've taught in rural schools for 40 years. Grades k-7. Small schools. I had one kid I know of that killed somebody. He smiled a lot in school but was not very smart. Young kids want one thing. Attention and affirmation of their worth. I have a great job in that I get to see all the kids each day. Just like with my children at home I can tell when a kid has something going on. To tell the truth I have lots of kids with crap in their lives. I try really hard to get them to open up. I also try hard to give them real attaboys when they perform good in my class. I have a boy who is upset. His stepdad left them and they are about to be homeless. His real dad is in prison. He loves PE and competing but his fuse is short. We talked a long time and I told him how I had parents mess up too. I let him talk. I asked if he would like to talk to a counselor and he said he'd rather talk to me.
    I have a new girl at my other school. She has never done much in PE I can tell. Poor self concept "I am no good at it I cant do it. I can't play to cause my leg......." she had seen two other girls that had to sit out with injuries) I told her she was fine. So she played today and gave great effort. I got in her face after class and told her how great she did. She finally looked me in the eye. I could tell she felt good about it. She says she likes soccer now.
    My point on these ramblings is kids need attention and support and to know that someone cares and will give them some time. We need mentors in schools to spend time with kids. Too many are in awful situations and are still expected to be normal in schools. When children in a school feel part of something and accepted they are less likely to withdraw and become a threat. Bottom line: kids need love.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 31, 2018

Wow. Stephen, PLEASE tell me you will continue to add your :2cents: to the conversation after you retire. There is so much wisdom in that noggin of yours.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 1, 2018

...AND today...in my district ...this morning. When will it end? I can't write much because I have trouble pulling issue out of political realm. All I can say is that today is Thursday. A twelve year old girl in the inner city is our shooter of the day. No reason given to public yet. twelve years old. Middle school. not my school, but my district. and it's news, but gotta say, not huge earth shattering news. School continued after shooter taken into custody. The local paper had a bigger article about parents coming to pick up their children.

And sure, in inner city guns are also "a gang issue." (NOthing known about today - I'm talking generally) Does that make it less of an issue? Are gang students' lives less valuable? And no, I don't really believe anyone was saying that - I just think all gun deaths are tragic and I wish we didn't have to have this conversation - but we do, we do need it. We need all ideas, all brains in there helping.

I'm sad about this.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Feb 3, 2018

I read an update on this last night. (Perhaps Creativemonster can provide more locally updated information, too). Apparently, the shooting was accidental, the girl had the pistol in her backpack and when her backpack dropped to the floor it discharged. She says she didn't realize it was loaded. The question still remains why did she have a loaded gun in her backpack. Fortunately, the injured victims will recover. But this girl, she's also a victim. A victim of her own error that almost killed two classmates.

I recall the local sheriff's demonstration to our district's 3rd grade classes on how kids often mistake real guns for toy guns; they are somewhat difficult to tell apart. Guns are dangerous and are not to be explored or played with by children. The children would repeat several times with the sheriff's deputy, "Stop. Don't touch. Tell an adult."

Upsadaisy likes this.
  8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 3, 2018

I saw the same information. So we are left wondering how the child obtained a gun and bullets, and of course why did she bring it to school? I think the second question is far more important. Why did she bring it? How have we gotten to the point where a gun is a go to way to solve disputes? We as a society need to learn how to disagree. It needs to be a class we offer alongside math, english, and all our other core classes.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 14, 2018

Just woke up to the news...Florida. I feel sick to my stomach every time this happens. When will it stop happening? I had to turn the news off when they showed clips of the kids in the classrooms listening to the gun going off.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 14, 2018

One county south of where my dad still coaches wrestling despite turning 69 this year. I fear for him and his charges. Meanwhile, two police officers, one of whom loved his extra duty hours at the local library, were killed just a few minutes from my home.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 14, 2018

anon55 likes this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 14, 2018

I LOVE THIS.

I was talking about one of my kindergarten kiddos today and told her teacher and our school counselor, "This sweet little thing has witnessed more violence, sadness, poverty, parental drug/alcohol abuse in her 5 years of life than most of us have ever gone though in our entire lifetime!" So sad.

Obadiah and a2z like this.
  13. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 14, 2018

Once again, an ostracized student and social outcast....

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  14. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Feb 14, 2018

There was an article on Yahoo News (not sure of the specific source) that said that one school was banning "best friends" in an attempt to get kids to have many friends and include everyone.
    The comments were a slew of accusations of PC liberalism and people linking school shootings to too many rules - because that makes so much sense, right?
    In looking at how almost all of these cases are related to socialization, I'm not so sure it's an off-beat policy. It's odd, but well intended. Unfortunately, we can't legislate kids being kind to each other.

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 15, 2018

That's what I've been preaching these past few weeks on here. They need to feel apart of school, a part of the curriculum, a part of the teacher's thoughts, the social events, the community etc and accepted for who or what they are.

(Of course there's no easy fix, no one size fits all solution...) I'm not necessarily talking about school shooters, but just too many kids in general who misbehave, usually they all have sad things in common regarding home life.

I'm a volunteer/mentor and trying to encourage these middle schoolers to journal and set goals for themselves. Some are trying!
    It's like in middle school, some of them still want to try, there's still hope. I've never volunteered with high schoolers. I imagine more have given up by then and are harder to encourage?

16. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Feb 15, 2018

I started writing something yesterday and didn't. I still don't know what to say...what can be said. It's such a senseless act. It doesn't benefit anyone. The shooters either end up committing suicide, are killed by police, or spend the rest of their lives in jail. The shootings interrupt, terminate the lives of innocent victims.

Last night I was reading about ostracism. The author, (David Jeremiah), was referring to examples of people who are too proud to associate with those deemed lower than oneself. Later, on the Internet, I forget which website, I was reading an autobiographical account of prejudice against others. I'm currently reading the scariest book I've ever read, the children's book Refugee by Alan Gratz, a historical fiction account of three families desperately escaping adverse conditions in their home countries; one horrific chapter details violent torment of a Jewish family by Nazis. Perhaps if society showed more appreciation for others rather than depreciation, perhaps....would school shootings decrease rather than increase?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2018

That is a powerful book--I read it with my class earlier this year. The parallels between the stories are incredible; it's scary to see how little has changed.

Obadiah likes this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 15, 2018

Just today the teachers at my school were told that we're having an emergency preparedness training. I'm thinking the recent events have spurred this on. Has anyone had this training? I'm wondering what it will consist of. It will last 2 hours.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2018

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2018

All school flags in my district are lowered to half-mast today.