Let's talk school shootings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

A country that can't even ensure that its citizens have any health care at all isn't going to 'solve mental health problems'.

GeetGeet, MissBee06, anon55 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

A resident of the US is 25 times more likely to be killed by a gun than any other developed country. Are you saying this horrifying statistic is a result of mental health and not lax gun laws? Crazy people can walk into a store and buy bump stocks and high capacity magazines. This literally converts a semi-automatic assault rifle to a machine gun.

Japan has just as many mentally ill people as a percentage as the US but nearly no mass shootings. To say the solution to our problem is some vague suggestion that we should be nicer to each other is absurd. We need common sense gun laws.

anon55 and Upsadaisy like this.
  3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

People who fail the training do not get a gun.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

I wonder if a side effect of the mandatory service and training is that young men, in particular, end up feeling needed, included, and important, in a way that many young men in the US don't. I am not in favor of instituting mandatory service, but it often occurs to me how many young men we seem to have in this country who seem so isolated and purposeless. It appears to me that many of the young men who do these shootings tend to be these kind of unmoored young men. So I would go back to my original question -- what can we do to help engage this kind of young person and give them a role where they feel needed and important?

Tyler B. and Backroads like this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2018

Japanese have very different attitudes toward society than we, as Americans, do. They have very different attitudes about saving face and not doing things that will bring disgrace on families.

This explains things well:
    https://qz.com/742140/why-are-mass-murders-so-uncommon-in-japan/

Japan has a very different culture which has been my point all along. You keep pointing out different countries and their "gun control" but keep ignoring how different the culture.

Thanks for making my point for me. You probably picked out one of the most different cultures than the American culture when it comes to dislike of violence, importance of communal harmony, need to save face, and lack of drugs.

AlwaysAttend and Backroads like this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

A country at war...like the US.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

Tyler, I happen to agree with you, but I also think this forum might not be the place to argue for gun control laws. While we personally advocate for what we believe in politically, what can we be doing in our classrooms in the meantime to create change?

Tyler B. likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

So... we want to discourage gun owners from knowing about their weapons?

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2018

You need to look at the comment in terms of the discussion.... What will help curb school shootings?

In those terms, Always' statement makes sense. No one yet has explained how training will help solve this problem. Sure it may help accidental shootings, but these school shootings have not been accidental.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 26, 2018

You're probably right. As individuals we can't fix the gun laws, but as teachers we can watch over our students as best we can.

However, as a parent and teacher, it irks me when the nation shrugs after each school shooting. This forum is about teaching and education, so the topic of school shootings does fit with the spirit of the forum, but (like most threads) has drifted away from the original post. As educators, it's worthwhile to discuss solutions to this avoidable problem.

creativemonster, anon55 and Upsadaisy like this.
  11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 26, 2018

Other than a gun grab, what is your solution that you can do in school even though you think it shouldn't be your problem.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

I did also cite "a thorough discussion of the legal and social ramifications of gunfire", did I not?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

Something that I've always found interesting is that most school shootings seem to happen in rural and suburban areas. Can you think of an incident that happened at an inner-city, urban school? And yet, the kids in those inner-city schools have wide access to guns, especially handguns. There is probably more gun violence in the neighborhoods around the schools in those inner-city areas than there is at the schools themselves, whereas the reverse seems to be true when it comes to school shootings in rural and suburban areas.

I wonder if the statistics support these observations. If these observations are accurate, I wonder what explains them.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

They also have locations in the forests people venture to just to commit suicide. Should we ban camping?

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

Why would they fail the training?

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

No

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

You want them to sit in a circle and discuss why shooting guns can lead to bad things? Are they going to speak in mataphor, or get gowned up while instructor shoots at a watermelon and the class gets covered in it? “Ladies and gentlemen, this melon splatter represents the ramifications of every bullet you fire.”

That would be some discussion...

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

Anecdotally, kids get shot in blocks around the school at an astronomically hire rate than rural and suburban schools. Why sneak a gun into a school and get caught when you can do it when they walk home and get away with it?

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

I did mention gun violence in inner-city neighborhoods.

Still, we don't really see mass shootings in those neighborhoods. When it comes to most school shootings in rural and suburban areas, the motive is not about gangs or drugs, and the goal seems to be to harm as many people as possible. We hear about the shooters being victims of bullying or social outcasts. Surely there are also victims of bullying and social outcasts at inner-city schools. Why are they not resorting to mass shootings?

webmistress likes this.
  20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 26, 2018

Check the absenteeism and dropout rates and that will shed light too.