Let's talk school shootings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2018

I imagine that it's tough for students to come forward with their ideas when they are publicly mocked by our elected officials and accused of being paid actors.

Obadiah and stephenpe like this.
  2. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2018

I think it is beyond that. Kids can't even talk to administration about unfairness in their own school such as the teacher lunch monitors making the "good kids" clean up after the ones they know won't clean up after themselves. In their own school talking about somewhat important ideas such as fairness to others, which can be at the heart of what is going on with some of these kids, is shut down.

I think public ridicule is terrible, but I think kids don't speak up because schools don't really want to hear from them.

Obadiah likes this.
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2018

I agree.

Most of the changes we would need to make in order to keep our schools safer (in my opinion) are things that extend far beyond the reach of admin. It's the politicians and society at large who need to hear from students, and they don't seem to want to listen either.

stephenpe and Upsadaisy like this.
  4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2018

not in all cases. I think Broward said they are training ex LEOs or ex military for some positions.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2018

I thought it was to be police officers in all schools, even elementary, in Fl. Am I wrong?

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

I think that was to have been the goal. In my county, the sheriff's office denied funding to the school district and sent them back to another revenue stream. I think it will shake out to HS/MS with police, and Elem with trained possibly former LEAs

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 3, 2018

And I thought such harassment was illegal.

Tyler B. likes this.
  8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2018

It depends on who is doing the harassing...

Obadiah and Tyler B. like this.
  9. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Aug 7, 2018

In Brevard, they are saying they need more time to train the volunteers them so the Sheriff is making at least one deputy is in each school. Also, each school has fences all around the perimeter. Some already had one but they put them up for those that didn't.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2018

stephenpe likes this.
  11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2018

Our school is an open campus with no one main entrance or hallways -- our classrooms are mostly in L-shaped "wings" that open onto open space. The campus is huge -- it takes up several city blocks and is surrounded on three sides by open fields. There is no way to alarm or close such a campus layout, which is not unusual here in Northern California. Unless they want to fence it in with razor wire, which is starting to not sound like an impossibility...

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2018

Ours does and my schools growing up always did too. I attended six schools in three districts and they all had the same type of set up. I started school in 1994.

13. physteach

physteach Companion

Aug 24, 2018

ms.irene and blazer like this.
  14. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 24, 2018

The staff and students are also an important security alert. If something unusual is noticed, it should be reported and responded to. Hesitation is the friend of the attacker. While reading the above CNN article and the above recent posts, I was reminded of incidents, although fortunately benign, and other incidents of a dangerous nature, since I've been a teacher. In some cases, action to investigate or respond was immediately taken, but in some cases, action was delayed. In my opinion, it doesn't take that much more effort to ensure that students are safe. I also would suggest that "unusual" be a key word in an observation. Sometimes, the absurdity of a report tends to dampen the possible severity, especially if a child is reporting.

But two circumstances are at play. First, a young child has limited background knowledge for interpreting what s/he sees, hears, or smells. The child's report to the teacher might include seeing a monster or a ghost or some other such interpretation. Yes, more than likely, it's a fantasy, but what if it isn't? Secondly, perpetrators of violence might follow standard procedures, but who says they have to? They don't have a rule book to follow; they don't follow rules, period. A perpetrator might begin in quite an unusual way, perhaps due to a mental illness or an unusual belief system.

The old adage, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," seems even more appropriate in today's current society of potential violence against schools.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

I tell my students this every year (usually multiple times a year). They are the ones who will see things like threats on social media. Staff usually doesn't. I told them we'd rather have them tell us and the kid was "just kidding" than have them think it's a joke and have something happen. I was so proud of them when we did have something serious show up on social media and by the next morning, at least 25 of our kids had told someone, whether it was their parents who then contacted someone or went right to a staff member they knew (small town so a lot of kids live around us staff!).

Obadiah, ms.irene and a2z like this.
  16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 24, 2018

All of the elementary schools do. Not for school shootings though. It's been that way for over a decade. Ever since we had two attempted child abductions in the same school year.

a2z likes this.
  17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2018

Another school shooting last night in Jacksonville. I think at a football game.
    In Palm Beach County, there was one last week on the football field, though not by a student and injuries only to adults.
    In Palm Beach County, also, an incident at a football game where a player from the local team was punched by an opposing team player and had to undergo surgery.
    I don't even want to leave my house.

18. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 25, 2018

Upsadaisy, we had families and kids-some on the field-- from our church at that game last Friday at Central v. Dwyer. Talk about a frightening few minutes! What relief when we were able to confirm that they were all safe. For me, it was heartbreaking to watch one of the local students interviewed on local news. He stated that he thanked God it wasn't one of them and was disgusted that adults would take that shooting action at their game. Truly, it broke my heart that he found comfort that it wasn't a classmate. It says alot about this world. It is my hope that the work we are doing in the classrooms can help kids navigate the rottenness in the world by helping them to cultivate the goodness and kindness in them.

Obadiah and Upsadaisy like this.
  19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2018

I'm so glad that your kids were okay, and that all of them were. How stupid of the adults involved to use that location. (It's just about 2 miles from my house.) Every bit of support that kids can get helps, but I don't even know how they learn any more. It is a frightening world.
    I tutor a student with an online curriculum. She had a friend at Stoneman Douglas school in Parkland who videoed the action during that tragedy. My student also saw a taped interview with the perpetrator done just a short while before the event. Chilling.

20. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 4, 2018

There has been discrepancy in the news as to the actual number of school shootings based apparently on statistical error or how to define a school shooting. This year, I decided to keep track myself. My time and resources (Google News) are limited, so I might err in underreporting, and this project might become more than my time will allow to continue. I decided to tally both shooting and bombing situations, and record not only actual occurrences but thwarted attacks, threats, and hoaxes as well. I decided on a personal definition of school violence--if it happens at the school, inside, outside, or in an area dedicated to a school event during a time when students and/or teachers are present.

Beginning Aug. 6, 2018, there have been 33 reported incidents in the news involving 22 juvenile suspects and 2 adult suspects. (Some suspects at the time of the news report had not been found). 16 events involved firearms and 17 events involved bombs. There have been 5 injuries and 2 deaths. 5 shootings actually occurred, and 28 shootings or bombings were thwarted, threatened, or were hoaxes.