Let's talk school shootings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

May 20, 2018

Specifically, in the year 2018 more US children have died in school shootings than have military personnel. Not all military deaths in all wars, but just so far in 2018.

2. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 20, 2018

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks

3. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 20, 2018

We also need to hold the parents accountable for the school shootings. Why not? Most of these kids cannot go into a gun shop and buy one so they go to their parents gun cabinet and are grabbing one. So the parents should be held as an accessory. They need to make it harder for their children to access these guns. My husband is active duty military and we don't have children but when my niece comes over for a week to two in the summer, we take all precaution to make sure she cant gain access. Once he retires (next year) we plan on getting a gun safe. Gun safes aren't easy to move they are about 400 plus pounds and once you place it, that's where it stays. Now they have more technology for gun safes such as the iphone where they can recognize a thumb print and how many thumb prints you want on there. This would drastically cut down the "trying to find the key to the safe" I think we need to hold parents now who own a gun that is used in a school shooting are also responsible as well. No more, well I didn't know Johnny was using it blah blah blah excuses. When you signed the gun permit, you are signing your name for full responsibility to that gun.

blazer, readingrules12 and Obadiah like this.
  4. a2z

a2z Maven

May 20, 2018

Unless you are moving the guns to another house while they are visiting, you aren't taking all precautions because you admit you will be getting a gun safe. Why do so if "all precautions" are acceptable now?

It is amazing how kids can figure out how to get into things that are locked away or what we think are well hidden.
    Which is why you think that you can set up fool-proof systems so that kids, especially older teens, can't break.

5. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

She is 10 but the last time she came out to visit was 7. When she came out, we took out the magazines from the guns, so they weren't loaded and also checked the chambers. We moved the magazines away from the guns by putting it in a small safe that it's fire proof. It's no gun safe by no means but the ammo is away from the guns. What we do with guns, we put them on the highest shelf in our closet that she cannot reach unless she grabs a chair. If she does that, that means she is left unattended, when she is with us she is always with myself or my husband. So yes, she can't have access to the guns in our household.

If you can't keep gun access away from teens, then maybe you shouldn't have it in your house. Like I said there are new gun safes out there with newer technology incorporated. Yes, its more costlier but with everything that is going on, it's also a piece of mind that if you have kids in your household that they can't access it.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

Many kids are getting guns from neighbors or friends. At least some of the guns used in the Columbine shooting were purchased legally by a friend of the boys at a gun show.

It's important to remember that even guns that are stored safely can be stolen. Not all gun safes are 400-pound beasts; there are plenty of small, concealable safes that would easily fit into a backpack. And, as you've indicated here, there are plenty of people who don't lock up their guns because they don't have children in the house. Are we going to hold accountable everyone who has a gun that isn't locked up? If your unsecured gun gets stolen, are you as responsible as a parent whose gun was stolen?

7. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

My husband is active duty military and having his AR's under the bed. Some of his other guns in their boxes just sitting in there when it can be in a gun safe seems like a better idea instead around the house.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

I'm not sure how familiar you are with adolescents, but they can be really crafty and resourceful. If a teenager wants to get at something, they will find a way. I can guarantee you that you are not with her 100% of the time. I mean, you have to shower, use the bathroom, sleep....

a2z likes this.
  9. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

If their child took it from their parent, then yes. Parents need to be more diligent especially when they know they have a firearm in the household. You ask are we going to hold accountable everyone who has a gun that isn't locked up? Only if their kid takes it and goes to school and uses for deadly purposes.

10. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

but not in my bedroom. she has a guestroom and her own bathroom

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

I mean, what if a neighbor kid comes to YOUR house and steals the guns that you don't keep locked up in a safe, then goes to school and shoots the place up?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

I really think that you're being short-sighted about this.

a2z likes this.
  13. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

I am young but I just dont have kids coming/flocking to my house. Your theory is flawed.

14. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

I will have to disagree with you on this. She never comes in to my bedroom and if she did, everything is in the walkin closet. We take precautions when it comes to my niece, probably more than the parents did in Texas and the people in Parkland. And the last time she came over was 7 which was 3 years ago. But if the student takes a gun from home and goes to school to kill, parents need to be accountable for some degree. I am tired of hearing, oh we didn't know. When I did parent teacher conferences, they were never taking an interest in their child's life. So things need to change.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

There's no flaw. People sometimes break into houses, and when they do, they sometimes steal guns. A break-in is always a possibility. Your guns aren't locked up, so your guns could pretty easily be stolen during a break-in. You would carry some accountability in the event that your stolen gun was used to commit a crime.

a2z likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Maven

May 21, 2018

I know a family that had to take shifts because their child was waking up at night and exploring. Yes, the child would even sneak in their bedroom. The child was stealthy and curious. There wasn't a think that child couldn't find. Who knows how long it was going on before they figured it out.

Never say never when it comes to kids and teens.

17. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

And that is where my husband would show all receipts with the serial numbers with each gun.So if it were to be committed in a crime it would come back stolen.
    I haven't heard what you would do in a situation. Play sheep? Be another statistic? We can agree to disagree. But I am tired of having students, staff, and faculty entering buildings but some coming out in body bags. Enough is enough. Like I said we can agree to disagree. We aren't getting anywhere between you and me because all you want to do is dispel what I have to say about guns. If that's the case, go to your trouble students and say a positive word to them a day. Keep doing it. Just one positive word a day, you would be amazed how much impact that can have on them. I am done talking to you . Good day.

18. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 21, 2018

Then that's the time they should have gotten rid of their gun if they were going to that extreme.

19. a2z

a2z Maven

May 21, 2018

But since it was accessible to be stolen, according to you, your husband should be held accountable. It should be in an uncrackable and unmoveable safe. Right?

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2018

I feel like you're misunderstanding what I'm getting at. What I hear you saying is that parents should be held responsible when their children use their guns to commit crimes, because parents should be responsible by locking up their guns. You also say that you don't lock up your guns. My concern is that people may steal your unlocked guns and use those guns to commit crimes. Of course there would be a record that the gun is stolen, provided that you knew it was stolen and reported it, but by your own logic it wouldn't absolve you of the responsibility. By not locking up your guns, your guns are as accessible as anyone else's, including the parents.

a2z likes this.