Let's talk school shootings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 23, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Groupie

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 14, 2018

[​IMG]

ms.irene likes this.
  3. TeacherNirvana

TeacherNirvana Rookie

Mar 16, 2018

Personally, I think the conversation needs to be steered toward school culture and environment. If you take school shooting data and combine it will bullying data, the picture of school culture and environment that is painted is one that is bleak and hostile. In addition to being a classroom teacher, I'm also a high school coach for every boys' sport. My number one issue is my players tearing each other down with negative comments. No amount of gun control will stop the violence with this kind of negativity. They will just find other ways to hurt someone.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Mar 17, 2018

This has been running through my mind, also. Cruelty breeds negative reactions. The old adage, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," is false. The age old advice, "Just ignore them," only results in further outcasting towards the victim. Today's perfectionist culture demeans anyone who differs from the crowd, and when a person is shoved out of the safe enclosure of social acceptance, s/he searches for survival. In the meantime, those who are enclosed within the safety of the group are under constant fear and even surveillance by the rest of the group. "Did you know what Sam did, yesterday?" is whispered among the group when Sam isn't present, and no one wants to be the next topic of conversation.

I even wonder if feigned friendliness is more detrimental than outright bullying. I see this all the time among adults--real polite when the person is within earshot, but out of earshot and it's another story.

But concerning the kids who become outcasts, this didn't happen overnight. There are kids who are shunned, kids who are picked on, and this just eats away at the victim like a cancer. But just as a tumor is cured by antibodies fighting against it, there is healing power in a peer giving a friendly smile. In cancer, the tumor must be diminished early, and the same is true with cancerous bullying. But just one person can stand up against the peer pressure and befriend, not just be polite, not just tolerate, but truly befriend the suffering student, this can put the cancer into remission.

A few days ago, I was recalling 10th grade. There was a girl who for religious reasons always wore plain ankle-length skirts. She always ate lunch by herself. I recall my friend at lunch laughing about her difference in appearance. I was thinking, what if I had walked over and asked to sit with her and become friends? So what if her religious beliefs differed. This is the mindset we need to teach kids today! Why outcast anybody? We need each other, and how much more enriched our lives are when we accept each other for who we are. Each person has something special to contribute to the group, and how much are we missing when someone isn't allowed to contribute?

Upsadaisy and a2z like this.
  5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2018

I don't know if the bullying in school sports is leading to school shootings exactly, but I agree the negativity with which some of the kids treat each other is awful.

The weird thing is that some of the kids not only don't mind it, but actually enjoy it. Even when it's directed at them (as long as not EVERYONE directs it at them). Trash talking becomes a sign of group membership. I still dislike it, though, and prefer it when my kids are on the baseball team. Baseball doesn't seem to foster trash-talking as much, I think due to the structure of the rules and the way it's played.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 17, 2018

Trash talk is like compliments. For some the compliment is to build someone up, used on others it is an underhanded jab and never meant as a compliment. Sometimes the people receiving the underhanded compliment don't realize it but everyone else does. Sometimes they know that they are being treated poorly as the others watch and don't care.

It is like any other social situation. Some people are predisposed to dealing with certain things better than others. Others are not and need extra help. Sadly, most kids that are ostracized don't get help. They are told to not worry about it while the torture continues. Then when they fight back, they are usually the ones most punished.

This behavior, even if it isn't directed at a student most of the time, is seen by the students and they internalize it. Even the kids in the crowd that might be causing the issue will have members that internalize it because they are only in the group to avoid being the target.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 17, 2018

What a screwed up society we live in.

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Mar 18, 2018

Last night, I viewed What We Can Do about the Culture of Hate, on Ted Talks, www.ted.com . Wow! I highly recommend this 18 minute video.

9. TeacherNirvana

TeacherNirvana Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

You haven't met my players. They trash-talk all the time (even to each other). Actually, the National Federation of High School Sports has started issuing statements on the amount of unsportsman-like conduct coming out of dugouts during high school baseball games. Umpire chapters are being encouraged to eject more players because of this.

10. blazer

blazer Groupie