Let's See How Much on a Budget I Can Live On!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 29, 2012.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I believe that a number of SoCal farmers who sell at farmers' markets sell through something similar, though I'm afraid I don't have details.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Apr 30, 2012

I thought about this, and even when we were in an apartment (which was more square footage than the little starter house we currently live in) our electricity was about the same because everything there was electric (now our heat and hot water are gas.) When we lived in a one-room apartment with a window unit, our bill was about $60 a month in the summer. When we lived in a townhouse, our bill was over $100 in the summer. It must just be a southern thing...

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Apr 30, 2012

They have something like this in my area. I don't remember the name of it but they have a "produce" box you could buy and also other items boxed by category. I was thinking about signing up but never got around to it.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2012

My apartment is 1,000 square feet, and my electric bill is about $30 when I don't run the AC, and about $50 in the months I do...

5. a2z

a2z Aficionado

Apr 30, 2012

The only thing I see is a possibility of more budgeting consistency, but even then, I'm really not seeing any savings. Even in longer months the gas cost will either fall in the longer month or the next month.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2012

Our electricity bill is generally around $20, gas is around $15. Varies, but it tends to be low.

Now, food is where we spend a lot in. We shop at Trader Joes and at a place similar to Whole Foods. We spend around $100 for two of us. Doesn't inlcude eating out, which we do about 2 times a week.

I get gas every weekend, whether it's low or not. I typically spend around $30 filling it up. So, I spend approximately $120 on gas (I drive anywhere from 60 to 100 miles a day).

We only have cell phones, no landlines. I haven't had a landline since I left for college back in 2002.

We have basic cable, but this is our first year with it. Thinking it's not worth it. We watch shows on Hulu and Netflix.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 30, 2012

After May 9th, work (meaning at my job) will be a breeze & I'll be done w/ grad classes for a while, so I'll really be able to start clearing out & packing up, so I can ship out! I won't be able to bring all of my clothing because there just won't be nearly as much room. I'm going from having a closet that's the length of a wall PLUS a walk-in closet to just having 1 closet that takes up the wall. I should get an armoire soon too.

I plan to buy a bed & have my cable TV & internet hooked up 1st thing. I'm only moving 10-15 min away from where I am now & I won't have many large items to bring over, so this will probably be the easiest move in my life.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 1, 2012

Some of you quote very low electricity bills. How come? Ours is over $100 a month and we don't use it for heat?

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 1, 2012

We get 'rewards' through our grocery story for every 100 dollars you spend that let you take 10 cents off per gallon. That's only good for one purchase, so it makes more sense to do one large fill-up at the discounted price than two smaller ones if you won't have that discount the next time.

10. a2z

a2z Aficionado

May 1, 2012

amakay, We have that too. There were times with the bonus reward points I had 60 cents off per gallon. It was great. Now, I won't go driving to the gas station for 10 cents off because the distance to the station that works in cooperation with the store I use isn't all that close. By the time you factor wear and tear on the car, the savings is eaten. But what I do is:

Plan my errands in a loop and all in one day or make sure if I will be passing the store anyway, that is when I go. I don't ever drive for 1 thing unless it is absolutely essential. I've done that for years. The other thing that helps me do is make sure I don't impulse buy as much - not that it is really a problem. It is amazing something you see as a necessity one day may not fit the same level of need several days later.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

Blue, I suspect your water and cooking are electric. In any case, you're lighting an entire house, not an apartment. In addition, rates do vary from area to area - though I'd have expected to-you-ward to have lower rates than we do here.

12. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

May 1, 2012

Do you use it for AC? I have a 600 square foot apartment, and one "chandelier light" on in the "dining room" pretty much lights up the entire apartment. So I really only use that light. My bill is typically $20-30 a month.

13. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

May 1, 2012

Our electricity bill is always around $150 for our little apartment (everything's electric in it). I fear for what it will be in a house if we don't have gas!

We also cut our cable TV. I don't really miss it. I have Netflix streaming which isn't great but it's something. But there's also Hulu Plus and so many networks have their shows online almost right away now. You could get a Roku and be able to stream from the computer onto your TV.

14. bison

bison Habitué

May 1, 2012

Since I think I live in the same region as Ms. I, I just went back and checked our utilities for a 4 bedroom townhouse with four roommates. These numbers all tend to be fairly consistent, although I've been quite liberal in my rounding. They haven't really changed too much seasonally either. It always ends up averaging somewhere near $50/month per roommate, or $200/month for the entire house.
    Gas: $20-30
    Electric: around $70-90
    Internet: $40
    Water: $70-80 billed every OTHER month, so you could say $40/month

To give some more info, I think we've used the heater maybe three times in the past year, and we don't have AC, which explains the lack of major seasonal fluctuation. We have ceiling fans in the living room and every bedroom and they work great. We don't have cable TV or a landline and we don't miss them. We have a TV that is hooked up to netflix and hulu. We also use mostly energy saving bulbs and try to turn off anything electric when possible. There are quite a few things plugged in though because we all have computers, gaming systems, etc.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 1, 2012

I've thought about trying to cut out my TV bill (I have satellite), but I mostly watch sports. I would really miss not being able to watch football on Sunday, and there's no online option for watching them...

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 2, 2012

I have been told that the Pacific Northwest has the lowest electric rates. Yes, we have electric hot water and lights. And we have a big house.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 2, 2012

I've heard of Roku, but don't know a thing about it. I assume it's a device you pay a 1x amount for. I should check it out. I don't really care for sitting up at my desk to watch TV. :mellow:

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

May 2, 2012

For Christmas we got my mom a Blu-Ray player that was also Netflix and Hulu enabled. It was around $100, and they use it almost constantly.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 2, 2012

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet (I did not read all of the replies), but have you considered using an antenna for your TV? My boyfriend and I purchased one from Walmart for $30. We get all of the basic channels (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, etc.) and do not pay a monthly bill. I thought I would miss having so many channels, but you can watch almost anything online these days anyway.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 2, 2012

I don't know my bills here, but in the states I paid very little. I lived in a one bedroom apartment with my boyfriend.

Rent: $515/month
    Gas: <$15
    Electric: <$15
    No cable
    No internet

I never used heat nor AC. I had a space heater that I used in my bedroom when it got really cold, and I had a fan for when it got really hot. Also, the apartment complex paid for water and the gas in the gas stove. So I used to turn on the oven for 30 min or so, then open the oven door so it would heat the house. I also used to boil pots of water and put them around the apartment to heat. Or just wear my coats and snuggle in blankets. It's not that bad;) I just don't get people who turn the heat on so high they walk around in tshirts and shorts!!

I'm a thrifty mo fo;)