Let License Expire?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChildWhisperer, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 11, 2018

When I first graduated from college, I got my paraprofessional certificate (my BA was not in Education). A few years later, the state converted all certificates to licenses so mine was automatically renewed for another 5 years (so I've had this license for 8 years now). I also started grad school around that time to get my Masters in Ed (which I have now).
    Well it finally expires this year.
    I've never used it and don't think I ever will, unless i want to go backwards in my career.
    Should I let it expire?! Or renew it just in case?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2018

Several years ago I had to make the same decision. I was going to let mine expire because I thought I was finished with teaching. I renewed it just in case and then my life took me in a different direction and I ended up using it for five more years.
    So, just in case, if it isn't too expensive, I would renew it. Life has a way of changing things for us.

CherryOak likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 11, 2018

If you ever did decide to take a para job, would you really need the separate license or would the teaching license cover you? We don't have para licenses in my state, so IDK how that works, but it feels like if you had a teaching license/more than what was required, you'd be covered.

If you let it lapse, would you have to do more requirements in the future to reinstate it (i.e. take classes or something), or just pay to get a new one? If all you have to do is pay, I'd let it expire and just pay again if you ever need it.

Personally, I can't think of any circumstance in which I'd want a para job, but of course you may feel differently.

5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jun 11, 2018

I think that a lot of good suggestions have been made so far. Personally, I would renew this license because I just never know if and when I would need this license in the future. I have a couple of friends who once had licenses fields such as education, medical assisting and physical therapy. They regretted that they allowed their license to lapse because when they wanted to return to the field, they had to complete a lot of paperwork and fulfill new requirements. They never thought of the possibility that the state would add new requirements even for applicants who once held the license. It would have saved them a lot of hassle if they would have just renewed their licenses instead of allowing them to lapse. This brings me to another issue--you just never know if the state will add new requirements, which would then make it a hassle to try to apply to get a new license.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 11, 2018

If it's cheap and easy to renew, I'd probably do it. If it was much of a hassle, I'd let it expire.

I have a teaching license in another state I'll probably let expire soon. I can't really justify the money for a "just in case" scenario.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

Good questions. I'll have to look into it!

Thanks, everyone. Good points made!

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2018

If you had to jump through any hoops to acquire it, then keep it. The one thing that you can usually count on is that the requirements only get more stringent over time, so if it was needed, it would take more effort to reacquire it. Don't know how expensive it is, though.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

Nah, it only required me sending in my transcripts to prove I had a BA (because you only need 60 semester hours of college to be a parapro in my state) and $$$ :p
    I just have to pay a fee to renew it now.

10. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

It's a valuable credential........I'd keep it renewed until you're done working.......

Or win the powerball!

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

Is it though?! A paraprofessional license?! I don't know if I'd go from "Teacher" to "Teacher's Aide".
    I'm still thinking about it :p I have until the end of this month!

12. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 12, 2018

Since its a "license" and not just a certificate, I'd think it would come with a certain level of pay, perhaps more than regular para pay? I don't know, but a license is something I'd to try to keep even if you never use it, it'll be there just in case as others have suggested. Who knows, you might want to be a para in your retirement years just for the check! Lol

miatorres likes this.
  13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 12, 2018

I did the same thing with my home state's license. Definitely not worth the money for something I'm 99% sure I won't need. I'd rather end up paying for it/jumping through whatever hoops when/if I actually need it rather than paying for something I don't need.

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 12, 2018

That's true. I might want to be a para when I retire for extra money!! I have a friend doing just that. She retired from a non-teaching job and is now a para.
    All the certificates in our state were converted to licenses so everyone has a license now.

15. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 12, 2018

Pennsylvania lets you put your teaching certificate "on hold," so the clock stops on the countdown to your renewal date. I don't know what state you're in or what other states permit that.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2018

I wish NY had that! They just want $$$$

otterpop likes this.
  17. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:02 AM

A word of caution for NY teachers. DO NOT let your license expire unless you are really sure you want to leave teaching. NY (and other states) have put in place an expensive, time consuming requirement called EdTPA. I know two teachers who got in before it became a requirement and then were very surprised when they left teaching for a few years, let their license expire, and were confronted by this expensive, time-consuming requirement.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:48 AM

For now... until they nix them. They already got rid of the ALST (a literacy test) because people kept failing it AND they lowered the passing scores on a lot of the tests (because people kept performing way below them...) as they get hit harder with the "teacher shortage'' they keep removing the tests. I had to pass them ALL when I got certified in the spring 2014 semester. I paid $$$$ too.

joealee likes this.
  19. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:58 AM

I've heard about a looming teacher shortage nationwide, but NOT in New York State. I could be wrong though. I do think the EdTPA is a little unfair, but the reason I can't see NY nixing it is because we have so many certified teachers in this state already. In sum, NY seems to be just doing fine---but who knows!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM

It's in NY too (well they claim it is) if you Google "New York teacher shortage'' you'll find articles of admin kvetching about it... even though there are many of us who are STILL unemployed and trying to scrape by on sub jobs.

joealee likes this.
  21. joealee

joealee Rookie

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM

I do know that my grad school MAT program (a SUNY school) has seen a drop in enrollment in the program by nearly 50% since I started in 2010. Add to that many teachers looking to retire and something has to give somewhere.
    I also think NY is unique in that there are many jobs available in the inner cities in the five boroughs, but upstate and Long Island is a different story.