Lesson Planning Questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

I'm sorry. I think I would benefit better if I could watch a video of people planning out units. I'm missing minor details that are making me tell myself, "this is really complicated!" I guess it isn't really as difficult as I think, but for some reason, when I sit down with a list of standards and textbook, I draw a blank.

2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 25, 2018

Maybe you should look on Youtube and see if there is a video that fits your specific need.

You might even want to join some of the education websites that provide teaching videos, if you think that is how you will learn best. That said, if you aren't specific enough in your questioning, you will probably finding yourself walking in the same circles similar to your current plight.

No, it isn't really easy - it takes constant work and attention to detail. I believe the request for a video sounds like we are back to "train me."

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2018

What are you teaching tomorrow?

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 25, 2018

Use a lesson plan template. It should include the objective (e.g. Students will learn to... by using/doing...), anticipatory set, lesson of the day, guided practice, checks for understanding, standards covered, student accommodations (if any), homework, and materials used.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 25, 2018

I don't think a video of my process would help you. Lesson and unit planning requires creative thought and problem solving. My process involves lots of sticky notes, white out, and a bunch of tabs open on my browser and a bunch of books and binders open on my table. Unless I literally narrated every thought I had, watching me plan a unit would not be very helpful.

Been There and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

I'm planning on having a short grammar lesson on verb tenses and then allowing the students to compare and contrast real world happenings with the tales found in myths and folktales in their textbooks as an attempt to bring in some cross-curricular instruction. It's going to be pretty dry, mostly filling out a worksheet. I may divide the questions among pairs to make the work go faster.

For the afternoon, I'm planning on going over citing sources in MLA format. I wanted to find some kind of board game so that it didn't seem like work to the kids, but that's kind of short notice. We're going to be moving into writing research papers very soon, and I want them to know how to use MLA format correctly. If we have time, I may also go over APA format, even though I'm sure that's not required!

7. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

I have no shortage of creativity, but I'm inexperienced and don't really know what works. I also don't always know what material to cover. The "pacing guide" is actually just a list of standards to cover over a series of six week periods, and it's not very clear to me.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 25, 2018

Don't you teach middle school? Just that last sentence is hugely problematic to me. I remember how hard it was for me just to keep MLA format correct when I was taught that in middle school. I couldn't imagine being taught two conflicting ways to cite things at that age. I never did APA until college. I teach HS math, but even I know that's a disaster recipe for middle school English.

And with the folktales discussion, do you have someone ways to guide that comparing and contrasting if the kids aren't sure what kinds of things you are looking for? Do you have plenty of good examples of what you would like them to be thinking about as they compare and contrast?

vickilyn and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2018

What type of worksheet are they filling out and what type of comparisons are they looking for. I agree that you should consider modeling an example with a class so they know what they are looking for. I think working in pairs is a good idea. Are you planning on assigning partners or having them choose their own? Are you going to have students share out when you are done with the activity?

For the afternoon, you should definitely stick with just the MLA. You might also want to have a discussion about why citing sources is important. What are you going to have students do after you go over citing sources?

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 25, 2018

Standards are made of verbs (what students should be able to do) and nouns (what students need to know). That is your material to cover.

Pick a standard. Find the verbs. Find the nouns. If there’s a skill needed in order to be able to do what the standard is asking, teach that first (if you’re comparing and contrasting, do students know what those words mean? Do they know how to find main ideas in order to compare and contrast the important parts of two or more texts?). Those are the foundational skills. Then work your way through the standard.

Also go back and read my last post in this thread because I explained it with a sample standard there that may be helpful, though it’s a high school standard and you teach middle school, but I went through the process of backwards planning with it.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2018

Dont most students use online resources for bibliographies? Easybib is highly used in my area.

12. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

Yeah, I was thinking about including a link to citation machine so that it didn't seem difficult. I also wanted to turn it into sort of a game, but I'm not sure how. I could make flashcards with the MLA material on it, but what would I do after that?

13. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

The worksheet is self-explanatory, really, and the myths are in their reading textbooks. It doesn't require much outside research, and the only time they would need to spend is just reading the story and maybe looking up an unfamiliar term or concept or two.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2018

Your lessons seem 'thin'. Not a lot of teaching going on, teaching MLA format when they could easily use an online tool, filling in a 'self explanatory' worksheet. Where is the critical thinking and creativity? Where is the engagement? Where is your excitement for the lesson so that your kids will be excited?

futuremathsprof and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  15. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

That's pretty helpful, and I doubt the Texas TEKS are really that much different from Common Core, even though I was cautioned not to use anything but TEKS standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.