Lesson Plan Help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by goldalex, Jul 7, 2007.

1. goldalex

goldalex Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

I am currently in an education program and have been assigned the task of putting together a unit plan and lessons relating to capitalism and the industrial revolution. This lesson would be given in a 9th/10th grade global history class. I've been searching google for some sample lessons on capitalism and have not come across anything that is really helpful. There is one caveat in that the lesson plans have to be activity based and use many documents.

I was hoping that some people had some ideas and/or could direct me to some places where I could find some sample lesson plans or even documents that I could use.

Thanks Alot!

-Alex

3. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

there are a few industrial revolutions. are you talking about the one in Europe or the one here in the U.S.?

try pbs.org
    historychannel.com
    library of congress website

4. goldalex

goldalex Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

It is for global history so more europe, the focus is supposed to be between 1750 and 1850, sorry if I wasn't clear with that...I really have no idea where to start, this is only my second teaching class so its almost like a deer in headlights effect...

Thanks for the suggestions I will take a look...

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2007

There are great gifs on line that you can find that show the inventions of the time, I have one that shows how the steam engine works, if you want it, PM me (it is in a power point with lots of other pics)

One of hte best things that I did for the time was have students research a particular invention, what it did, etc, also draw a pic of it. Then make up posters, show to the class. Also I have seen another teacher do a debate on wether (sp) the industrial revolution was good for the world. Have students really dig into the material and think about it, the industrial revolution is a good time to introduce concepts on conservation, enviromental responsiblity etc.

For capitilism have them set up their own mini economy, selling stuff, and have them make decisions on how to make more money, that should explain it to them.

THis can be a VERY boring subject, so be sure you use a lot of visuals and hands on activities or the students eyes will glaze over and they will not learn much.

Good luck

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

7. goldalex

goldalex Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help, theres some good stuff in there. Sorry I didn't say thank you sooner i've been real busy.