Less Stressful/Easiest State?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alyssa20, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM.

1. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 New Member

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Hello,
    I live in California and am in the MSCP at a CSU. Unfortunately, I enrolled in the program before I passed the CSETS. I passed the CBSET the first time and thought it was easy and figured the CSETS would be as well; boy was I wrong. I passed subtest III, but subtest II Math/Science is the death of me! It's incredibly difficult; especially since I just want to stick to K-3. The math and science on the CSET is definitely at high school level (I did not learn any of that difficult math in elementary...and I'm 24, so it wasn't that long ago I graduated high school). I'm considering moving to another state that could have an easier method (I heard California is the hardest...) . I was wondering if anyone knew of other states that are much easier? I do have a bachelor's in Child Development and have been teaching at preschools and subbing in public elementary schools.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM

So is your basic question: which states is it easier to get a teaching license and job in? I would say take your pick of any red state (Arizona is right next door) and they're (mostly) DESPERATE for teachers and will pretty much hand you a license! The catch: those states aren't the best for teaching, especially if you come from California.
    Avoid a lot of any of the East Coast Blue States (like NY) as it's also a pain to get licensed; people fail left and right to the point NY has eliminated one of the tests and has "safety net'' passing scores...

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM

I wouldn't give up! Keep trying to pass those CSETs. Teachers here in CA are paid pretty well (in comparison with most other states) and it seems like most of us stick with this gig for the long haul. Plus, a decade ago, it was nearly impossible to land a full time job here. Nowadays, CA teaching jobs are much, much easier to find.

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:22 PM

I was about to say avoid MA. Our tests for educator licensure can be grueling which is why MA doesn't accept tests outside of their own (and because it makes them a lot of $$$). I knew some people who had to take one test 11 times before they passed- so it is possible if you keep trying in CA especially if you enlist help from your college or district. But to echo @YoungTeacherGuy the pay tends to reflect the challenge. For example we have tests with as low as 32% pass rate. But my pay here is too good to move back home to NH where it would be a drastic pay cut yet the testing and licensing process is a walk in the park. I would recommend staying determined in CA. The decision of where to teach should be where you feel most comfortable, not where it's easiest to pass the test/get a license. You can do this!

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:37 PM

The truth is you need to understand higher level math and science to anticipate mistakes and present proper explanations, even in K-3.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:18 PM

The math skills required for CSET-MS aren't actually that much more advanced than the math skills required to pass CBEST. What's different is that you're expected to be able to apply those skills creatively and in combination to answer questions that, at first, seem to be from out in left field. This is a learnable skill, but I have some bad news: it means that you have to stop giving free rent in your head to the bad voices that are telling you that math is useless and that you can't learn it past a certain point.

If the test-prep books aren't working for you, it probably isn't about you. Find a high-school student or college student who's a good explainer, or rummage around Free Technology for Teachers (www.freetech4teachers.com) and Richard Byrne's other blogs for online resources to help you with science and math; YouTube videos can be very helpful in visualizing science and seeing how it really does connect with your everyday life, and YouTube is full of pretty good explanations of math and how it works.

8. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:40 AM

Hang in there! I had the same problem with that sub test. I hired a local high school math teacher to tutor me. I also purchased a common core high school science book from Amazon that was much more helpful than the test prep book. (Cliffs) If you passed the CBEST, you probably have a pretty good math foundation. Don't let the wording on the CSET trip you up. I teach elementary so I pretty much needed a refresher math. Practice your constructed responses, they don't need to be paragraphs. Don't leave anything blank. You got this!!! Hugs!