less periods that are longer or......

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Nov 18, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 18, 2013

more periods that are a lot shorter.

Which would you prefer? At my current school we have 1 hour 45 minute periods. We only have 3 periods per day though. I think I would prefer to have 6 classes that are half of that length.

I teach English and reading can take up some of the length but I still think I would prefer to have much shorter periods where I can try and keep the kids attention for the whole time.

What do you guys think?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Nov 18, 2013

I would like to have seven or eight periods a day instead of block periods. This is entirely selfish, but it's because I would like a planning period everyday.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

I've taught on both types of schedules. I prefer more shorter classes than fewer longer classes.

5. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Nov 18, 2013

I like more shorter classes from a teaching perspective, but I am not sure what is better from an educational perspective.

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Comrade

Nov 18, 2013

More periods, shorter.
    I've done both block schedule and a 6 (and 7) period day, and except for occasional topics that take longer to work on, more and shorter periods are much better - I'd love to see all of my kids every day, for one hour per period!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

When a girl I know was in school went from 6 classes to block... she liked the shorter classes...

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Nov 18, 2013

I definitely prefer seeing every period every day for a shorter time. The younger kids are so burnt out by the end of a 90 minute period.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Nov 18, 2013

I prefer longer periods with teaching only three classes per day. I love my long planning period and I can't imagine have MORE classes each day with LESS time to plan.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

I have only ever experienced days with short periods

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2013

Shorter. Even if it meant teaching more classes and students.

I teach 95 minute blocks and it is torture - for me and the kids.:lol:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

I like seeing my kids every day, even if it means the periods are shorter. It means I can build up steam-- there's a rhythm and continuity that is harder to maintain when you skip a day.

We have a 9 period day. Classes, on a day with no assemblies, are 38 minutes with 4 minutes of passing time.

Kids typically take 7 subjects (math, English, History, religion, Science, language, special--phys ed, art, music) with a study hall and a lunch period.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

Last year we had "color" days, so classes alternated depending on the day. There were 4 periods per day which each lasted 90 minutes. This year we have 7 40-minute periods per day on MWF. We have 90 minute blocks of odd periods on Tuesday and of even periods on Thursday.

I prefer the shorter periods because I don't have to host the same kids for a seemingly unbearable amount of time (this goes for my most challenging classes). The only disadvantage is that I have to plan carefully for lab activities; I can't do them on any day like I could last year.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2013

Sounds great to me.

At my school, the Math and English teachers dictate the length of the class periods and they stated last year that 60 minutes was not enough so now some class periods are 95 minutes.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

When I was in MS, we were divided into colors to determine who our teachers were. It was to reduce class size or something.

16. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 18, 2013

We have 4 85-min periods per day with teachers teaching 3 periods per day and we see our students every other day. I LOVE my schedule. I teach only World 2 on one day and only US His on the other. Plus, because my planning falls during the lunch period every day, I get a KILLER planning period daily.

And to be completely honest, I am very happy to only see my kids every other day. There are some students that I need that mantra of "48 hours until I have to see you again" to get through the class. :p

17. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Nov 18, 2013

My classes are 65 minutes long and I love it! I teach four classes a day, have a 30 minute "intervention" class, along with a 65 minute planning period. My class that falls during lunch period is a bit longer, but that works out for more enrichment for those students. I wouldn't have it any other way.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2013

This seems like a nice compromise!

I have an hour for each subject. If I had my druthers we'd have longer for Reading/Writing and slightly shorter for everything else. It just takes longer. An hour is perfect for Math, Science, and Social Studies.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

When I was in HS, we had Maroon days and White days (our school colors) on a block schedule. As a teacher I have only had more periods that were generally 45 minutes long. I much prefer the shorter periods.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 19, 2013

We have 8 46-minute periods 4 days a week, 8 40-minute periods 1 day a week (teacher meeting time in morning). I have 7 classes and 1 planning period each day

I feel like I launch, fly, and land, lauch, fly, land, launch fly, land 7 times a day. It is exHAUSTing.

If I (or my students) run into laptop problems, I feel like I blow a class period (I don't, it's just that losing 3 or 4 minutes REALLY matters in a 46 minute class).

I did block (95 minutes) during student teaching. It seemed WAAAAY less hectic.

I would love to have class periods that lasted 60ish minutes.

21. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 20, 2013

Seems like most people like shorter periods and more classes. Classes at my school are a semester long and so I see them every day for about an hour and 45 minutes.