Lehigh University student sues over grade, seeks $1.3 million

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2013

I read that earlier today. Not only is it ridiculous in general, but she received free tuition for both her ungergrad and graduate education! She isn't out any money!! So 1.3 million?!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

There was someone on the forums some time back who thought she could sue her school because she couldn't get a job.:dizzy:

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

A few thoughts after reading the article....

We've had a few posters over the years whom I could honestly see in this sort of position. These folks have gotten bent out of shape when things haven't gone their way and have threatened lawsuits and made other unreasonable demands. Obviously with those posters, and with the person in the article, we don't have all the information, but it certainly does make you wonder.

As for general unhappiness about a grade, I can see that being a big potential problem. It's something I myself have worried about a little bit over the years. Recently a parent went to the office and complained about a B that his child earned in my class for the first semester. Although the student earned low As both quarters, the student earned a mid-C on the final exam. Per admin, that final exam counts for 20% of the student's final grade, so the final grade worked out to a B. I understand that the parent wants the child to have straight As, but I feel like the problem with the B in my class isn't really my problem--it's the student's problem. If the student earned As on both quarters, then the student should have earned a decent grade on the final...especially since most of my final exam questions come from (are heavily based on) questions from previous exams. From what I could tell, the student just dropped the ball on the final exam, probably feeling overconfident or thinking that studying wasn't necessary. In any case, the counseling office asked me what I'd be willing to do for the student. I told them that the only thing would be for the student to retake a portion of the exam, but I would only allow that with admin approval (because I think it seems shady to allow one student to retake a final exam because the parent is whiny). I could definitely see parents like this bringing the issue to the court system if they were dissatisfied with the response from the teacher. It's scary.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

She claims that this is her "lost earning potential", because she wasn't able to become a state-certified counselor.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2013

Caesar, those type of complaints over grades are pathetic on parents and students parts. I once had a serious complaint over a grade I was receiving in a science class in high school. The ironic part of it was that this particular teacher required us to record to the detail our entire grades in the class and keep track of where we were. I did that, and what I had down was not what the teacher had. He disagreed with me, I had proof he was wrong, he didn't like that I was calling him out on it. I can still remember it to this day. I hated science, still do, but was a top notch math student. He was well known as the "hippy science teacher." Eventually he gave in and adjusted my grade, but he did hold it against me the rest of the semester. He really didn't like that I was smarter than him.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2013

There are definitely times where a teacher has made a mistake with a grade. If my own grade were messed up, I would do what it takes to correct that error. I like to think that I am smart enough to recognize that there is an appropriate procedure and chain of command and that it's not appropriate to make unreasonable demands, go over heads, or threaten lawsuits when I haven't gone through the proper channels first.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2013

Yup. But what counselor makes that much? Especially right out of college?

10. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 13, 2013

Huh.

If you could sue (and win) because you didn't get the grade you wanted/needed, that would be nice. Too bad the world doesn't work that way.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 13, 2013

Who knows? She might win!

If the classes are free for her, why didn't she just take it over and do better? Am I the only one that doesn't get it?:whistle:

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2013

NO :agreed:

13. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 14, 2013

Maybe she was retaking it?

I dunno.

Odd situation

14. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Feb 14, 2013

Exactly!

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 14, 2013

I don't know if they would allow her to do that. I went to college on a similar employee program ($100,000 ;) free tuition-my mom was just a secretary though) and there were limitations for how long you had to finish the program.

My sister teaches college and kids fight grades all the time. She had a student ask her the day of the final exam last year if he could do extra credit because he didn't think he passed the test-um...that would be no. I think it just sounds like another situation of feelings of entitlement. I really hope they don't settle and give her any money.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 14, 2013

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2013

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 15, 2013

Thank goodness the judge had common sense...she should have to pay for the college's legal fees. Maybe they should sue for their tuition back.

19. a2z

a2z Aficionado

Feb 15, 2013

I do find it interesting that there was one tidbit of information that wasn't in the articles I read yesterday regarding this person's reasoning behind why the grade was given. Yesterday's article gave several reasons, this one only listed the fact that the student took a position that was apparently not liked by the professor.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2013

The articles I read all said that the reason the student's grade was low was that she earned 0/25 for class participation due to "outbursts", including shouting and crying in class when she didn't get her way.

21. a2z

a2z Aficionado

Feb 15, 2013

Caesar, did you read the one linked by MsMar?

Your descriptions of the articles I read prior to the one that is linked today is accurate with what I read also.